Schrade Walden Hawbaker Muskrat

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
A fellow is sending me a Schrade Walden Hawbaker muskrat,
on approval. I am hoping someone out there (some several out there maybe:D ) can give me some clues as to what to look for, concerning authenticity :confused: .
Does anyone have a picture or a catalog cut? Anything anyone knows would be greatly appreciated!
Charlie

That's quite the thread, Codger! A wonderful string of info, utilizing playful verbiage, not 100% resolving the improved/hawbaker terminology, but close!
I still don't have the hang of searching for threads (infernal machine:-( ). But I'm working on it. The only thing is, the pic(s) are missing in the thread, and I'm a visual learner (you've probably noticed I use them a lot). Anyone got any pics for old Charlie??

Charlie,
This any help?:
2qnm51y.jpg
[/IMG]
2rdx26h.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Wow, I'm finally getting my pics a little smaller. If you want them bigger, let me know.These are Schrade Waldens by the way.
Eric

A little small, Eric! Can you enlarge them so I can see more detail? Sorry, I'm not pulling your leg (well, maybe a little)! :eek: !

Are there any etches, or unusual markings, Eric?

OK,
2uiewjk.jpg
[/IMG]
3z8x7bo.jpg
[/IMG]

Sorry for the blur, I got these off my files and the sharpness just isn't there.Definitely can't read the tang if that's what you need.
Eric

Thanks for the try, Eric. Yes, I was looking for markings.

It's sorta like Christmas when you find a nice knife in your post office box! At 62, the thrill is still there (may it never go away).
So, I certainly can't fault the condition, it's in nice shape. I was hoping it would say "Hawbaker" or something on it, but I now know that's not usual. The etch on this knife is quite clear, the scanner sometimes does weird reflections.
The only markings on the knife are the etch,
IMPROVED MUSKRAT KNIFE
and the tang stamp,
SCHRADE over WALDEN over NY USA
So my question is this; Is this what is called a Hawbaker Muskrat? It's a bit pricey, so I guess I'd like some assurance I'm getting what I'm paying for.
Thanks ahead for your comments!
SchradeHawbaker.jpg

Sweet knife Waynorth! Well the seller called it a Hawbaker blade because a company named Hawbaker used to make blades of that shape. I would call it a modified Wharncliff blade, but Schrade chose to call it an improved skinning blade. The other that I call a Turkish clip, others have called a California clip, but in this instance, Schrade calls it a slim clip.

From the 1936 catalog we see...

Note that it was available as the S7814 3/4 with a pair of slim clips, like our modern "Improved Muskrats".
Here is the Schrade Walden version of the S7814 3/4 from 1954:

A very nice knife, and not one you will see every day!

Codger :thumbup:

Waynorth,
Nice blade as usual!! You do know how to sniff them out. You also take incredibly sharp pictures! What are you using?
Eric

You can't beat a decent quality flat bed scanner for knife pictures, Eric! I can actually quadruple the quality that you see! Quicker and easier than a camera, as you can tell by the number of pics I churn out!!
Here's a tang stamp!
ExpEnl.jpg

One can always rely on you to dig up some references Codger, thanks! For the catalog cuts, and the compliments!

Getting a little carried away :eek: ; here's another at higher resolution :eek: !
SchradeRussellClose.jpg

A great way to detect counterfeits is to blow up suspicious parts (after which you can blow up the purveyors!!)!!

That is incredible, I'm tossing the camera! I'm amazed that it picks up the depth, and doesn't just focus on one plane.
Eric

The scanner I have is an AGFA Snapscan e50.
I've had it for 6-7 years. I paid about $150 on closeout back then.

Ah, the art of the grovel returns! I'm sure someone more experienced than I will rate it soon!!

Back