Schrade Walden Hawbaker Muskrat

2out of 10.I'm surprised Michael hasn't found a smilie that is on its knees.Oh yeah they don't have knees.Arnold

The scanner, man, the scanner!!!;)

I seriously do need to get a better one. This one works great for documents and photos, anything 2D, but has absolutely no depth of field.

I can tell you one not to get.We have a HP7310xi All in One.It works great but this is the third one in 11/2 years.the feed keeps going out.they keep replacing it but if you need it your in trouble.Also I can't get it to send emails in anything but Word.Then I can't reduce the pic to fit whatever I'm trying to do.Arnold

You guys got me thinking of depth of field, so I stacked up some lesser knives, not my Schrades of course, and shot this one. The second knives up are starting to lose focus, but the top S&M is definitely going blurry. I think you have to ask for photo-grade scanners to chase something like this down.
Arnold, I know what you are talking about as far as quality. I'm on my third Epson C66 printer in 18 months. Grim.
I hope this old scanner holds up (he knocks on wood!).
DepthOfField.jpg

Waynorth, that is ridiculous! My scans come out like Codgers. You could probably scan a car with that thing! :grumpy: :grumpy: :D

Eric
PS, I'd be willing to make a sacrifice and take those lesser knives off your hands for you.

Since Waynorth gave me the idea to do use the scanner for knives, even though I'd known of it being used as an art tool but never really clicked to do knives on it, I'll add this scan in as a nod in his direction for the inspiration.

Traditional-Tools.jpg

And this one just to keep it Schrade. ;)
Old-Timers.jpg

Scanned on an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo about two years old.

3ycxgm9.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW, if you can make it out, this is an Imperial Diamond Edge 853DE that I just picked up on a whim, and it has HOLLOW PLASTIC HANDLES! Or what they refer to as "old time buckhorn"??! Very cheap:thumbdn: , although for a cheap user the blades are OK.
Eric

Yeah, that's photo grade! Nice definition, good depth. That's the ticket!

Aren't those solid plastic handles??
BTW, that's definitely a document scanner. The blade blurs out even though it's pretty close to the surface.
Nice knife though!!
Speaking of Diamond Edge, A.G.Russell has added some nice D-E knives to his cuttingedge site. Pricey though.
http://www.cuttingedge.com/knives_for_immediate_delivery/

I know you're refering to Amos's pics, mine has a 1/2mm depth of field:(

Eric

Feels hollow, if you rap a nail on it it sounds hollow anyway. The liners are so thin that you can actually squeeze the spaces shut with just a little pressure.OK. actually just peeled the plastic back a bit believe it or not. It's just a thin layer of plastic over a curved continuation of the bolster, which isn't solid either.
Eric

Definitely a user upper! User to the max; something like that.
As long as it sharpens. I had a Colonial barlow that was like trying to sharpen a popsicle! Gives me shivers just thinking about it!

I just saw a fellow knife collector today who picked up a beautiful Honk Falls equal end jigged bone. Talk about snap! I've never seen anything like it. Anyway, he knows someone who's thinking of selling a hawbaker. If I snag it I'll post a pick for comparison. Probably won't be for another month though.
Eric

Well, I may not have a scanner but.... I got something special today, but I may not show it to you. You probably wouldn't want to see it anyway. Afterall, it is real old. And pretty darn unique, I might even break tradition and call it rare. Now, do you guys remember hearing a rumor that Schrade Cutlery Company was going to be bought back in 1946? Well....nah, you don't want to see it. Nevermind. ;)

Codger :D

Codger,
Please accept my belated grovel, you should leave that snippet dangling for more than a half hour!:) . What a giant this company was back then! It really sucks to see what's happened since then.Very nice add, how the heck do you manage to aquire a library of this size? You seem to have print of every phase of this companies history.
Eric
PS I just picked up a Boy Scouts silver jubilee knife made by Schrade back in 1985 I believe. It's an aluminum lockback with a sterling silver inlay and has the Ulster tang stamp, I suppose in recognition of Ulster's past involvement with scout knives.

Certainly worth grovelling over. That's the stuff that really rounds out all this knife collecting and gives it a place and sense of history. Thanks for sharing that.

It takes a certain amount of self control to ignore my knife collection, passing on the knives I really want, and giving up silly things like shoes for the kids, dentures, beer, you know, the really non-essentials. Here is my inspiration music:

My children are hungry, and my dog needs a bone.
I ain't got a job now, so I'm just drivin home.
An hour after sundown, and much to my delight.
There's five pounds of possum, in my headlights tonight.

If I can run him over, everything's gonna be alright.
We'll have some possum gravy, oh what a wonderful sight.

Don't have to kill no chicken, don't have to open no can.
Just a little bit closer and I'll have him in my hand.
I think the time has come now to dose him with the brights.

Codger

PS- Here is one I let go dirt cheap. And I really, really wanted it. A DU SFO that I've been waiting for quite a while. http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHRADE-KNIFE-1...oryZ1403QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Back