Schrade Walden Hawbaker Muskrat

OK I have to show I'm new to this but I've never seen a Kingston knife.Anyone have some to show.Arnold

Here is an ad for the K-320.

2cia45v.jpg

WHile the Kingston branding was used by Ulster pre WWII, it wasn't a distinctly seperate company until 1946. Then in 1960, Kingston was essentially discontinued, though a few patterns were still made by Ulster. Here is the notice from 1960.

4dltwzo.jpg

I've seen several knives with that plain U S A on the tang! Is that a typical Kingston tang stamp??????

Codger,at my age mate everything looks like like your scan...quite clear really!
Waynorth .....STOP before you go blind mate..I think I saw you hiding inside that last tang stamp mate!! Very depressive..I mean impressive mate. Hoo Roo

I've seen several knives with that plain U S A on the tang! Is that a typical Kingston tang stamp??????

I wouldn't bet on it. Quite a few knife companies used the U.S.A. stamp on the tang, then either etched their name on the blade, or used an identifying shield, or made knives for special factory orders with no identifyers at all. There was a law on the books at one time that the country of origin had to be on the knife, but evidently it is no longer in effect, or just being ignored.

Members need to post good photos of their Kingstons for a decent survey to be done. Mr. Goins did not show any Kingston stamps in either his 1982 or 1998 editions. Sargent's 1986 book makes no mention of Kingston, and neither does Levine's 1985 (the newest I have). Searching the web has been fairly unproductive in finding examples, and most that I have found do not have clear representations of the stamps.
I would not just go out and buy every knife I saw with a "U.S.A." tang and call it a Kingston. These are just photosample representations used at the time the brochures were printed, likely 1947-59. Here is a composite of the stamps from the brochures and one photo I clipped.

I've only just begun researching the Kingston brand and marks, and so far, this is the best info to come to light. Perhaps Knifeaholic or someone else like LT will come here and show some examples and expound on Kingston. Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging on the research.

Codger

I have to jump in here. When you open both blades on one spring of any knife, new or old you risk a broken spring and great loss of value.

These were great pictures but the risk was also great.

A. G.

Thanks A.G! So that's why you open the blades fully when you advertise on cuttingedge! It's when they are partly open that the spring is at great tension. I'll heed your advice, especially given the cost of those durn things!!

I can afford to in the A. G. Russell catalog but not in the cutting edge.

I will see that it stops. thanks for mentioning it.

A. G.

Back