Scope or no scope for lever action?

I am 16 and just bought a old Marlin 30-30, and it came with a scope, but for some reason it just does not feel right. Any one use a scope on a lever action? Do yall have any experience taking a deer with iron sights on a lever action? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
ackblade24

Love good old lever actions. Even the new ones are great. The whole scope thing is up to you really. With a levergun I go with iron sights, but that is just me. I also have an option of using a bolt gun with a scope or iron sights when I want to. The scope will increase your range quite a bit so you can accurately shoot deer farther away. I use an old Winchester 94 with irons, but I see many other hunters and even friends use 30/30 lever guns with scopes. The irons if more of a challenge and to me it fits the gun more for my liking. Kind of like putting a scope on a revolver. There is nothing wrong with it and it can help you, but or me the challenge and just fun of hunting with a revolver has its own kind of feeling. Yes even adults like to play cowboy and frontiersman. I am 18 and I understand how you feel.

I've had leverguns both with and without. With a scope, that cartridge is accurate to a fair range if you understand the bullet arc (drop actually). Without a scope, it is a decent medium range gun. I used mine mostly as a brush/short range rifle on moving deer so preferred no scope. Of course I had good eyesight then like you probably do. The scope did seem awkward on mine since it was a short carbine. It affected balance and how handy it was to carry and snap-shoot when needed. Don't be tempted to use the scope as a carry handle!

But in the end, it is just a personal preference. Practice with it both ways and then decide. Oh... another factor is that cheaper scopes limit use in low light condition at each end of the day and in foul weather. Good hunting!

It's personal preference mostly. I think a lever action rifle looks better without a scope. But I certainly shoot one better with the scope. If you are used to scopes, I'd stick with a scope. Maybe its a case of the scope being too large for the gun from your perspective. A good fixed 4x would work quite well. You can still shoot quickly with the 4x, but it takes a little practice and how the rifle fits you makes a big difference.

I prefer no scope on a lever though have recently tried a red dot sight which I think works quite well.

Get a scope that fits a lever and it will be fine. Probably want something with limited magnification and good field of view. A fixed 4x or 6x or maybe a 1-4 variable. Don't need more scope than your cartridge needs. I find anything more than 4x on my lever guns is useless for me. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

I prefer open sights with a 30-30 but I do like a good peep sight instead of the standard one.

I prefer open sights with a 30-30 but I do like a good peep sight instead of the standard one.

Peep sights are nice. I have never been a fan of lever guns with scopes. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but having collected vintage Winchester 86's, 92's, and 94's, I have never used a scope on one. To me, part of the attraction of lever rifles is using iron sights.

If you like a scope, and it works for you, then by all means do it. With a little practice, you might just be very surprised at how well you can shoot without a scope.

Get a scope that fits a lever and it will be fine. Probably want something with limited magnification and good field of view. A fixed 4x or 6x or maybe a 1-4 variable. Don't need more scope than your cartridge needs. I find anything more than 4x on my lever guns is useless for me. Your mileage will almost certainly vary.

Do you really have a <4x maximum magnification scope on a lever gun? That would certainly be a first for me, I would like to see pics of something like that.

Lever action rifles do not need glass optics, and unless you're only planning on using it for hunting (which I wouldn't), it's probably a good idea to leave it naked. They are fun to play with, but the keeping with the idea of using the best tool for the job, there isn't a place for a lever rifle except as a range toy.

What do you plan on using that rifle for? If you bought it just to have something cheap to hunt with, you will want to put a 3-9 scope in the 200-400$ price range on it (anything cheaper isn't guaranteed to hold zero on a lever gun, anything more expensive is a waste of money for this application - if it was a decent bolt gun, I would say buy a scope that is 100%-200% the value of your rifle). If you bought it just to shoot, or have a bolt action rifle to use for hunting, I strongly suggest using your money for something else.

Do you really have a <4x maximum magnification scope on a lever gun? That would certainly be a first for me, I would like to see pics of something like that.

Lever action rifles do not need glass optics, and unless you're only planning on using it for hunting (which I wouldn't), it's probably a good idea to leave it naked. They are fun to play with, but the keeping with the idea of using the best tool for the job, there isn't a place for a lever rifle except as a range toy.

What do you plan on using that rifle for? If you bought it just to have something cheap to hunt with, you will want to put a 3-9 scope in the 200-400$ price range on it (anything cheaper isn't guaranteed to hold zero on a lever gun, anything more expensive is a waste of money for this application - if it was a decent bolt gun, I would say buy a scope that is 100%-200% the value of your rifle). If you bought it just to shoot, or have a bolt action rifle to use for hunting, I strongly suggest using your money for something else.

Why do you consider lever guns only good for range toys, or am I misreading your post ?
IMHO a 3x9 scope is a waste, and overkill for a lever gun. I don't even use them on my 300, or 338 Win Mags. I have used fixed power 4x scopes (Leupolds) almost exclusively for many years, and never felt like the magnification wasn't enough.

As already mentioned, a low power variable scope is a good choice. Besides offering more than enough magnification, the objective end is usually smaller, so the scope doesn't have to be mounted as high, compared to a scope with a 40mm objective lense.

The days of having to spend $1,000 for a good scope, have been gone for a long time. Many have optics that rival the high $$$ German imports, and are made just as well, at a fraction of the cost.

Why do you consider lever guns only good for range toys, or am I misreading your post ?
IMHO a 3x9 scope is a waste, and overkill for a lever gun. I don't even use them on my 300, or 338 Win Mags. I have used fixed power 4x scopes (Leupolds) almost exclusively for many years, and never felt like the magnification wasn't enough.

As already mentioned, a low power variable scope is a good choice. Besides offering more than enough magnification, the objective end is usually smaller, so the scope doesn't have to be mounted as high, compared to a scope with a 40mm objective lense.

The days of having to spend $1,000 for a good scope, have been gone for a long time. Many have optics that rival the high $$$ German imports, and are made just as well, at a fraction of the cost.

No, you read it right. He can get a better 3x9 or a fixed powered 10x scope for cheaper than he could a good variable 1-4. I agree that in theory a variable powered 1-4x is a superior scope for a gun that doesn't have much range, but I want to see pictures of your guys lever action rifles with these 1-4x tactical scopes you're raving about. Most 1-4s have an eye relief that is suited for AR-15 style guns, and I've never seen someone running them on a lever gun. I'm not saying it' impossible, just isn't happening very much in my experience.

More $$$= better scope. I have a few vortex scopes that are good values, but I haven't ever had a cheap scope that has better glass than my Zeiss, and the glass in my 1-4 Trijicon is considerably better than the glass in my 1-4 Vortex - both of them are multiple times better than any 1-4 you're going to find for under 500$.

If you're wanting to go hunting, get a bolt gun. If you want to get multiple shots off faster, there is an AR or variant in a suitable caliber. Lever guns are a compromise on both platforms, and offer advantages over neither (You're always going to shoot a semi-auto faster, and I a 700 Remington in .308 is going to be more accurate than your 30x30 Winchester every day of the week).

ETA- A fixed power 4x scope is a good option for a lever action rifle, if you're going to use it for shooting deer or want to shoot targets quickly. Most of the 4x scopes I've owned aren't great though, and I wouldn't want to put a Tasco on any gun that I was using for more than plinking.

Last edited:
All of these posts are useless considering OP never mentioned what he is using the gun for. If he's wanting to shoot pop caps at distance, he's going to need something with more magnification. If he's wanting to shoot a deer or human sized target, he would be fine with lower magnification or even iron sights.

I'm betting OP is just wanting to shoot it for fun.

I am 16 and just bought a old Marlin 30-30, and it came with a scope, but for some reason it just does not feel right. Any one use a scope on a lever action? Do yall have any experience taking a deer with iron sights on a lever action? I would appreciate any help.

AJustice, from the OP's original statement, I would interpret that he wants to use it deer hunting. I assume it's probably a M336 and they are excellent deer rifles regardless of what you think. Lever actions have been bagging deer since the first ones were made. They in fact offered superior fire power when they first came out as compared to what else was available. You might recall the Henry rifle??

Nobody said anything about a "tactical" scope. Where do you get your ideas? You select a scope based on your budget and your needs and a 4x or a 1-4x variable is perfectly fine out to 150 yds and very good for quicker shots as well. I had a 4x on my first deer rifle and it served me well.

Check out the sights by XS systems. The irons are intended to be quick and precise aiming devises as opposed to a classic peep sight that tend to be rather slow.

If it's a Bambi gun, I'd use a small low power scope

A good scope helps in low light, perfect for deer hunting.

What's on it now?

I've taken a few deer with my '94, with no scope. Longest shot was 175-200 yards. I didn't want to deal with a scout mount on the '94. If yours already has glass and you shoot it well keep it on. If you don't like it many animals have been taken with irons.

I know you didn't ask but I highly recommend trying the Hornady Leverevolution ammo. I didn't think much of it until I compared groups, that little tip does wonders.

I usually hunt short range with a good bit of brush. I usually use a scope but thats for finding holes in the brush .Never try to shoot through brush as any bullet can be deflected !!! Even 44 and 45 cal !
There are better sights than the traditional one .I started as a kid with a patridge sight and I still favor that for rifle and handgun. My hunting buddy prefers a good peep sight, hunting type not target. I've installed them on all his guns.

No, you read it right. He can get a better 3x9 or a fixed powered 10x scope for cheaper than he could a good variable 1-4. I agree that in theory a variable powered 1-4x is a superior scope for a gun that doesn't have much range, but I want to see pictures of your guys lever action rifles with these 1-4x tactical scopes you're raving about. Most 1-4s have an eye relief that is suited for AR-15 style guns, and I've never seen someone running them on a lever gun. I'm not saying it' impossible, just isn't happening very much in my experience.

More $$$= better scope. I have a few vortex scopes that are good values, but I haven't ever had a cheap scope that has better glass than my Zeiss, and the glass in my 1-4 Trijicon is considerably better than the glass in my 1-4 Vortex - both of them are multiple times better than any 1-4 you're going to find for under 500$.

If you're wanting to go hunting, get a bolt gun. If you want to get multiple shots off faster, there is an AR or variant in a suitable caliber. Lever guns are a compromise on both platforms, and offer advantages over neither (You're always going to shoot a semi-auto faster, and I a 700 Remington in .308 is going to be more accurate than your 30x30 Winchester every day of the week).

ETA- A fixed power 4x scope is a good option for a lever action rifle, if you're going to use it for shooting deer or want to shoot targets quickly. Most of the 4x scopes I've owned aren't great though, and I wouldn't want to put a Tasco on any gun that I was using for more than plinking.

I guess I have a different take on hunting... There are lever rifles available in various calibers ranging from 22, up to and including a 50.
This spectrum will allow you to hunt anything on the planet, with a lever gun. Don't get me wrong, I love bolt action rifles too, and have owned them from both ends of the spectrum.

Lever rifles are quite capable of taking game ethically at a reasonable distance. When I shoot at a deer or elk, having fast followup shots is the least of my worries. A well placed shot, equals a dead animal. It won't know that you are shooting a lever gun. I have seen to many people that buy bolt action rifles and put big scopes on them, and they still have no business shooting at an animal past 100 yards...

I guess maybe I don't see lever guns as being a handicap for hunting, because I'm not one of those that will willingly toss lead at an animal 4-500 yards away.
IMHO, that is not hunting. For me, getting as close as I can is part of the challenge. That is one big reason I switched to archery hunting about 9 years ago.

Now to get back to the OP's original topic, as you can see, there are varied ideas on which way to go. The only person that matters, is you.
There are no right or wrong choices, if you are confident with your rifle. Granted, I wouldn't put the cheapest scope you can buy on a hunting rifle.
Many have done it, but the durability just isn't built in. They usually won't hold zero, some will leak and sometimes the reticle will break.

When you put a scope on a rifle, the rifle will feel totally different. The short, lightweight carbine lever action, will not feel the same, and you have already said it doesn't feel right. Try taking the scope and mounts off the rifle, and see if you like the feel better. If you don't, you can always put the scope back on.

Back