Scope or no scope for lever action?

Why? More Eastern whitetail have been taken with lever guns than anything else.

Agreed, even out West where I am. I know many prolific hunters who have taken many, many deer and other game animals with a .30-30

I would suggest, that with modern flex tip ammo, they have only gotten more effective when it comes to range.

The OP is a 16 year old kid. He already has a .30-30 with a scope. He should use it, hunt with it, and enjoy it.

Just spend some time practicing with it, and figure out where it hits at different distances.

When I was a young man I hunted with a peep sighted Winchester .30-30 but due to getting older my eyesight has changed and I use a scope now on my Marlin 1895 .45-70
I believe that a scope will improve your rifle accuracy under most hunting conditions, unless you're snap shooting while still hunting.

I have a Weaver K2.5 on my Marlin 336 and a Lyman peep on my Winchester 64. The 30-30 has proven itself to me too many times and did again a couple of weeks ago. Stay within its range and put the bullet in right place, good things will happen.

A scope is fine on your Marlin. But a fancy variable powered one is pretty much wasted for the 30-30 round. And most lever guns are 2-3 moa. You are not going to be able to light matches at a hundred yards. A good fixed 3x or 4x is probably ideal for most situations. And 40 years from now when your eyes start going bad you'll be thankful for the scope.

There's pros and cons to each setup.

A good levergun with a peep sight is plenty accurate for deer at about any range you'd likely hunt with a .30-30 if you can see, shoot with irons, and do your part. It's also pretty easy to handle and it's not lite. Know your gun, know your load, and know your limitations by getting out there and shooting the gun.

The problem with iron sights is that they disappear at the begining and end of the hunting day. A good scope will extend your hunting day and can help identify what exactly you are shooting at much easier than with iron sights.

A Savage 99 and maybe a Browning BLR are the only lever guns where scopes look right. I don't use one on Winchesters or Marlins. Here is my Winchester 94 with a Williams Peep.

20131201_073231_zps17548b52.jpg

Back