• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Seavousplay - May use proxy address without disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack of All Blades

Platinum Member
I recently sold a Spyderco M4 mule, heres the link:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...warcraft-tanto-regrind.1621640/#post-18525677

The buyer, who has zero feedback and hardly any activity on bladeforums, told me to email him for payment info and details. He could not pay promptly but told me hed pay when he was home from work.

At 7:35pm November 4th, I agreed to the wait (assuming hed be home later that night to send the funds
Funds were not sent until 7:20am the following morning Nov 5th.

I shipped the knife out the same day and Tracking says it was delivered Nov 8th

It is Nov 14th now and hes telling me the knife is dull and the handle is "not as described" as there's a gap between the tang and one part of a scale. I took pictures that are what i deem pretty descriptive. And the knife was very very sharp when i shipped it out..

Hes saying the scale is not an issue but the blade cant cut receipt paper, And that he just now received the knife on NOV 14th since HES OVER SEAS and that i shipped the knife to his friend and his friend shipped it to him.

I specifically stated US only, as I do not like dealing with customs dept of different countries who have been known to open packages etc.

Also I do not feel responsible for whatever his friend may have cut before shipping the knife to him.

He wants 20 dollars reimbursed for a sharpening system he says will put a screaming edge on it.
(Before I found out he was overseas) I offered him 5 dollars for his dissatisfaction that will go towards shipping if he plans to sell it to another member. (there were two other members in line, i sold it for $95)

Not sure what to do as the overseas/third party involvement opening and re packaging the knife were completely out of my control.
My $5 offer still stands but he wants more. Says he has a strong case for paypal.

Ugly situation. I think in your shoes the only thing I would offer would be a full refund if he paid to ship the knife back to you. I would also very much appreciate you posting the username, as I have no interest in dealing with someone who uses a proxy shipping address without disclosing it.

This is strange. :confused: What name did you ship it to compared to what name is on the PayPal account? If you shipped it to the ultimate buyer but to an address which is not his, I doubt he has a stand with PayPal. Also, was this G&S or F&F? o_O Lots of questions. :rolleyes:

Payment was through G&S, and nope the names are different just checked.
This is strange. :confused: What name did you ship it to compared to what name is on the PayPal account? If you shipped it to the ultimate buyer but to an address which is not his, I doubt he has a stand with PayPal. Also, was this G&S or F&F? o_O Lots of questions. :rolleyes:

Ugly situation. I think in your shoes the only thing I would offer would be a full refund if he paid to ship the knife back to you. I would also very much appreciate you posting the username, as I have no interest in dealing with someone who uses a proxy shipping address without disclosing it.
Seavousplay

Seavousplay
Thank you. Normally, I'm a big believer in the 'no deal until both sides are happy', but in your position I would contact a mod. IMO, buyer started this in bad faith by buying through a proxy without disclosure. I don't think that means it's totally appropriate to just say, 'screw him', necessarily, but it certainly leaves a very bad taste in my mouth and, being the stubborn git that I am, I would insist on either a full reversal of the sale or nothing as I wouldn't want to negotiate with someone that pulled that.

So, you shipped it to someone who was not the buyer? :rolleyes: I don't think that was a good idea but just reverse the transaction would be my suggestion (NO refund until you receive the knife). ;) Do please give all info on the buyer so your fellow BF members will be warned; you owe that much for the help you requested IMO.

In my opinion, the fact that you stated U.S. sales only, and that it went through a third party who may or may not have opened it, handled it, used it negates any offer of a full refund and taking the knife back. You have no idea what condition it is in, and the end buyer may not know what condition it was in when you shipped it!

I think an offer of $5 or even $10 partial refund to him is generous under the circumstances, but I can't predict what a mod would say or what the BF official position is. The buyer screwed himself in my opinion by going thru a third party shipper and taking delivery overseas - as long as you didn't know that's what he was doing.

Back on track now:
I wouldn't offer any money. You made no claims as to sharpness in your ad. If he wants to file a PP claim let it play out. Hopefully you would win , but if not you will get the knife back and he will be out 2 international shipments and possibly some taxes. I don't think he will go that way.
Your responsibility should have ended at the US destination.

Last edited:
Since the knife did not go to the buyers address, both of you guys are probably ineligible for PayPal protection.
I wouldn't give the guy any money. Let him pay to send it back, and give him a refund if the knife is in the original condition. Otherwise, prorate the refund based on what the knife is now worth, if the edge has been messed with.
You can also choose to nothing, since the buyer was not honest about his location.

Sure sounds like a deceptive person. You should post his user name with the @-Tag so he is aware and can explain the chain of custody in further detail.

Best guess was his friend did a bunch of testing and passed it on after it was dull.

If he gives you bad feedback resist the urge to retaliate and let the admins fix it.

Note:edited because there is a real user Tag,

Last edited:
i shipped the knife to his friend and his friend shipped it to him.
No- Sounds like extortion. It was delivered. Let him go to PayPal.

You didn't get 51 positives by misleading people.

as long as you didn't know that's what he was doing.

I had no idea until he said "I just received it today".

Raised some questions when I remember shipping it almost a week and a half ago.
Then he told me he was overseas.

I offered him a $5 reimbursement OR a full refund AFTER the knife gets in my possession shipping on him.

I said the knife was "crazy sharp" because it was the sharpest knife I had at the time.
Its Convexed m4..
Covexed m4 doesnt lose its edge by sitting around. And it was certainly receipt cutting sharp when I shipped it.

Waiting to hear from him

@Seavousplay

I had no idea until he said "I just received it today".

Raised some questions when I remember shipping it almost a week and a half ago.
Then he told me he was overseas.

I offered him a $5 reimbursement OR a full refund AFTER the knife gets in my possession shipping on him.

I said the knife was "crazy sharp" because it was the sharpest knife I had at the time.
Its Convexed m4..
Covexed m4 doesnt lose its edge by sitting around. And it was certainly receipt cutting sharp when I shipped it.

Waiting to hear from him

@Seavousplay

More than you likely had to do, but good of you to stand behind your deal and make the offer.

He said "The buy was in the US. You shipped to an US address."

This leads me to believe He thinks this is an ok way to make deals.. title changed to fit accordingly.

To be clear, as I have shipped to proxies for overseas buyers a couple of times - who was the actual buyer (meaning whose name was on the paypal account)?
This is important; because if the person that paid you is the person you shipped to, you've still got seller protection (such as it is). Keep the correspondence, so it shows the complaint was initiated by a third party (to your benefit if he has the proxy file a claim.
If you shipped to a third party, be glad that this could be a relatively inexpensive lesson.

Heres the address on his paypal,
Bjoernar Nybakk
6222 Westmoreland Place
9311 Goleta
Norway

Heres the address he included in his notes to ship to. The first address doesnt exsist to my knowledge.. but since they were similar I didnt pay any attention to it.
Ryan Milligan, 6222 Westmoreland Pl, Goleta, CA, 93117-1609

This is starting to become a very fishy ordeal.. Im assuming he faked the first address so people wouldnt know he was proxying..

He just got back to me.

"I can't be bothered. Keep your money.
I not impressed, and I will tell people about this transaction"

To go through All that trouble with faking the address.. just tell people man.

I guess this issue is resolved.

the key thing about a proxy is that if there's a problem with the knife that's when the red flag goes up.

They have to receive and inspect the goods and then repackage it to forward to the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back