Sebenza 21 Inconsistent Action

I have 6 various CRKs and non of them really "free drop" unless I really push hard on the lock bar. Never considered it to be an issue. If you're wanting a free dropping guillotine type action, not sure CRK is the best option.

Thanks guys, I'm fine with it not free dropping actually. My Emerson Horseman is my favorite folder and that thing is stiff as a board. The bothersome thing with the 21 is just the inconsistency. If it were that tight all the time I wouldn't even mind that much, but not knowing how it will behave any given opening is what is bothering me. However, upon disassembly I can already see little grooves being worn into the CF, so maybe with a bit of work a track will form and prevent the washer from spinning. CRK gave me a deadline of about a month, and said to contact them again at that time if the issue isn't resolved. I'm going to trust their judgement and open and close it like crazy (they suggested this to accelerate break in) and see where I am in a month.

I'd send it in well within the timeframe given by CRK. Wearing grooves in the handle scale at this point would bother me.

I'd send it in well within the timeframe given by CRK. Wearing grooves in the handle scale at this point would bother me.
If I knew they would fix it I would not hesitate to send it in, but when speaking with them over the phone they said there was nothing they could do. So unless I sell it, I have no other choice than to trust them that it will hopefully wear in. Perhaps grooves is not the most accurate term, just the same wear that can be seen on the titanium side. I don't really know how to describe it, but maybe the scales mating with the washers a bit is what CRK meant when they said break in time.

Last edited:
And the plot thickens. The action has gotten consistently very very tight (almost hard to operate one handed) and looking inside, I can't see the show side washer spinning anymore. So either the lock side washer is spinning, or something else is going on. As I work the action back and forth, it is surprising how much the "feel" changes. It goes from tight to loose, smooth to gritty, and back again without me changing anything. I am super confused here!

Just catching up on this thread. Crap. Any chance that the "groves" that were formed in the CF scale wore enough to cause the washer to slip, and get pinched. I would love to see a detailed pictured with this thing broken down, both sides of the washers, and from every angle put together, but it sounds like you have devoted more than enough time.

As you, this one has baffled me.

Just catching up on this thread. Crap. Any chance that the "groves" that were formed in the CF scale wore enough to cause the washer to slip, and get pinched. I would love to see a detailed pictured with this thing broken down, both sides of the washers, and from every angle put together, but it sounds like you have devoted more than enough time.

As you, this one has baffled me.
Honestly at this point I am getting less frustrated and disappointed (although there's still a fair bit of that lol) and more legitimately curious and interested in what could be possible happening here. I am by no means a knife mechanics expert but have been in the hobby long enough that I thought I was done with surprises on liner and frame locks at least. How wrong I was apparently! If it could help I will break the thing down and take a bunch of pictures and try to upload them for the experts here.

I can understand the frustration at this point. It's one thing for the blade not to free fall, totally another to be as difficult to open as you describe. I think most folks would suggest the cause to be a pinched washer.

Last edited:
I can understand the frustration at this point. It's one thing for the blade not to free fall, totally another to be as difficult to open as you describe. I think most folks would suggest the cause to be a pinched washer.
The really frustrating thing is that this knife has already been back to CRK. After a few weeks of having it, I noticed a crack in the blade, so it had to go back for a new blade and washers. When it came back, it had the action problem this thread discusses, just like it did with the original blade and washers. When I called them about it, the tech said that the CF Sebenzas were their "most finicky," and they hadn't figured out a way to account for the flex in the CF, and sometimes the washers spin. A few days later, I emailed again because I was not satisfied with their response, and they suggested more break in time. I begrudge my luck haha, it seems that my first CRK and knife in this price range has problems almost unheard of. I am going to break the knife down now, and tonight if I have the time I will find a new photo sharing website and try to get the pictures up. Thank you all for the help, I love everything about the knife and I'm really hoping to get it sorted out so I can finally experience what makes this model so special after waiting so many years to be able to afford one.

Without personally inspecting the knife, it's very difficult to trouble shoot. But, something is not right. I would insist politely on CRK taking a much closer look at the knife.

I didn't see mention of whether the knife was purchased new or not.

Without personally inspecting the knife, it's very difficult to trouble shoot. But, something is not right. I would insist politely on CRK taking a much closer look at the knife.

I didn't see mention of whether the knife was purchased new or not.
Thank you very much for this advice. I am going to upload photos tonight. Yes, knife was purchased brand new. So you think I should send it in before the time frame suggested by CRK? They told me to wait until November 16th to see if any break in had occurred and alleviated the problems.

I thought the CF scale knives looked really neat. Then I read this thread. Probably won’t be getting one now. :(

I thought the CF scale knives looked really neat. Then I read this thread. Probably won’t be getting one now. :(
The knife is gorgeous, to be sure. Also, the CF feels great and it is crazy light. I am sure that this problem doesn't happen with every knife, and I have seen some great reviews of this version but I definitely am wishing I would've gotten the micarta version, or the plain jane.

I doubt the same thing would happen with a CF Inkosi, the washers aren’t going to spin.

Looks fine to me so maybe just carry the knife for some time, if the problem doesn't go away, then send it in and let the CRK take care of it. I hope it'll just break in and work fine though.

Back