1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sebenza 21 vs Sebenza 25

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Triforge, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Triforge

Triforge Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2012
    My take on it,
    I like the Sebenza 25 more in terms of Ergos and lockup. It's easier to disengage, and there's a bigger slant on the choil, which makes your index finger more comfortable. Also the gigantic detent ball is also amazingly cool. What I don't like is mainly the blade, I prefer the grind on the 21 a lot more. However, the jimping on the 25 is a lot better.

In the 21, it feels a bit chunky, the lockbar is harder to disengage, and the jimping is mild. I feel that if I buy a Micarta inlaid version it might feel more rounded out. the 21 definitely is the better slicer. Both of them feel like it would last me a lifetime. The 21 is also easier to take apart, but it has a smaller pivot.

2. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    I prefer 21.

25 is nice, but maybe im biased since I own the 21.

however if you offered a free 21 or 25, id take a 21 in a heartbeat.

3. Stoney26

Stoney26

Jul 11, 2013
    You cant beat the bushings system in the 21. By far the easiest knife i own to take down, clean, and put back together. No loctite necessary

4. Triforge

Triforge Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2012
    UPDATE: When I cut cardboard with each, the 21 slid through it like butter, and the 25 took a hell of a lot more effort. I guess I'll be selling both and buying a Micarta 21

5. Bugout Bill

Bugout Bill

Jan 2, 2013
    Good to hear you found what you want.

I don't really get the love for the Sebenza 25. It ain't a Sebenza in my opinion.

6. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Yeah when I handled one (25) for the forst time I was a bit disappointed.

I will buy as many 21's as possible before they discontinue.

7. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    I think the 25 is built stonger than the 21. I only have the 25. I like the Sebenza style, but I was looking at the Umnumzaan before the 25 was available. I like the grind of the 25 blade and the increased thickness of the spine. I understand the changes made in the Sebenza.

8. Bugout Bill

Bugout Bill

Jan 2, 2013
    I hope they don't.

9. basetta70

basetta70

Jun 24, 2010
    Oh yesss 21 is bushing plus a real hollow and thinner blade, a real cutter.
    The 21 is a real perfect mechanical object and one step over the 25 (which should be priced less because of the bushing, less pieces less costs)

10. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Got both, love both. The 25 is a terrific knife and is being completely undersold by those who've posted so far in this thread. The bushing "issue" is a non-starter and the blade slices like a dream. It's also very easy to take down, as easy as the 21. It's just different. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I will always own both and hope that CRK decides to come out with a small 25 option and both large and small with inlays, like they do with the 21. Can't go wrong with either.

11. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Ridiculous assertion.

12. FroOchie

FroOchie

Nov 30, 2012
    and thats the only reason I'd choose my 21's over my 25. In owning both I love both but if one were to be taken from me I'd rather it be the 25. 3 tools and having to fuss with the pivot and maybe even some loctite... meh, I don't mind it but I surely don't prefer it.

13. Raylance

Raylance

Sep 11, 2013
    I knew my pivot tweaking days are over the moment I got my 21, like what Fro0chie said, I don't mind it but I surely don't prefer it. :)

14. basetta70

basetta70

Jun 24, 2010
    Have you ever machined something? I believe not....

15. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    I don't own a 25 but I own a Zaan so I have experience with the new pivot. I do prefer the 21's pivot bushing system actually. Perhaps the rest of the 25 are improvements over the 21 like ergos and bladeshape.

16. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    It costs more because of the dual thumbstuds I reckon? It's newer? Break it down for us.

But which one would you choose if pressed?

17. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've had one 25 and a selection of earlier Sebbies. The 25 is gone.

18. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    So it seems people prefer the one they bought first.

As everyone said, both are great knives.

19. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Do you own a Sebenza 25? I believe not...

20. basetta70

basetta70

Jun 24, 2010
    ....wrong as before darling...:D