1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Sebenza 21 vs Sebenza 25

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Triforge, Nov 13, 2013.

1. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Under which circumstances would I be pressed? I own them both and use them both. Hypothetical scenarios are irrelevant.

I'd be interested to hear whether the previous posters who are less than enthused with the Sebenza 25 even own the knife. It's just fantastic to me that anyone could live with and use this knife for any period of time and not arrive at the conclusion that it's brilliant in its execution. Which to choose? The blade of each is ground differently and will have different cutting characteristics. The handling is a little different. The aesthetics are a little different. As with any knife, define your needs then choose your blade.

2. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    I hear ya. I think it is just a pattern with Sebs where previous models are beloved and coveted. Devoted to their knife that has served them well everyday for years. I doubt they are necessarily "hating" on the 25 when much of the same sentiment was shared for the 21 when it was new. If I could afford a 25 I'd love to get one. Owning a Zaan though, I can say that I prefer the bushing pivot that CR is famous for.

To me it is relevant as to which one is preferred. In what circumstance? No, I'm talking comparatively: in general. One or the other, simple really. OP knows that both are fantastic folders. Not trying attack, just asking for your opinion. You seem to be getting defensive. Other than yourself most all will have a preference of one over another. Like you said both are great... but both are different enough for CR to release the 25... It's natural to have a preference. So I take it that again if pressed under the non circumstance of "in general", you choose both because they are completely equal to your liking. Ok, good for you. I had to sell off one of my two Spyderco Gayle Bradleys recently to help fund a handgun purchase. Had to choose one over the other. I chose the older heavier one but had the better heat treated M4. Differences leading to a preference. Hope you never have to dwindle down to one Seb for whatever serious reason.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Then I hope you sold it to someone who will actually make good use of it. If the 21 is a "real perfect mechanical object," then the 25 is all of that and then some. If your basis for not including the 25 in that category is because you have to apply Loctite to the pivot then that's pretty weak. :rolleyes: Whatever your opinion, it's one of the best production folders, period. Nothing you say can change that. Compared to the 21? They're neck and neck.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  4. FW JSB

FW JSB

Dec 28, 2012
    Then we agree, because I love and covet all my CRK's, the ones I have now and the ones in the pipeline. Defensive? Nope. I honestly would have a difficult time choosing between the two models. Since I don't have to, it's irrelevant. I have two 21's and one 25 right now. But to satisfy your curiosity, if forced, I'd dump one of the 21's and keep the other two. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

5. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    LOL I updated my post about 30 times after your response. I confuse even myself sorry. Your post answered my question, thanks.

6. Askurato

Askurato

Aug 6, 2013
    We all know the real answer.... Get both!! :D

7. Triforge

Triforge Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2012
    In the end I wish that they put the grind of the 21 onto the 25, I have no other issues with the 25

8. Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    UPDATE: I actually love the Sebenza 25 just a little more than my PLAIN 21. I HATE fiddling with the pivot it makes me wanna slice my wrists. I got a micarta 21 because I reasoned that the 25 would be a lot easier to get later on

9. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    I really like the 21, but i am going to get a 25 later on this year in October I hope. If it is as beefy as the Umnumzaan, then it will be a good choice for me.

10. Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    You'll like it, but I'd get a umnum instead of the 25. GREAT GREAT GREAT ergos though, it feels like you squeezed a clay mold and it fits perfect.
    EDIT: Reason why is because I've never had an Umnum yet, and it's more or less the same as the 25 in terms of thickness and mechanism.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  11. Arcrobe

Arcrobe

Apr 8, 2012
    I have handled a 25 only once, and I gotta say I prefer my small 21. The 21 is so simple and iconic to me. Maybe because I prefer smaller knives, but the 25 just seems over complicated.

Personally Im happy with my small 21 and Umnumzaan, and don't see the need for a 25.

12. HWF

HWF Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2012
    I like this analogy. This is exactly how I feel about my 25!

13. Triforge

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah! but I also like the hole on the Seb 21, makes it look like a Mayo ;) and I'll probably get a Umnumzaan Startac because same thickness and pivot and bearings as the 25 but added the glass breaker and I love the shape. I'd sacrifice some Ergos for that.

14. red mag

red mag

Apr 12, 1999
    I like the 25 since it is a different knife still yet a Sebenza --> so a good reason to get one.
    At the beginning I have been a bit sceptical. When I got it I had to try it - did not put it down.
    red mag

15. gull wing

gull wing

May 4, 2002
    Not a problem for me, I don't have a use for the larges.

Will the company stop making the bushing system? Say it ain't so!
    I'd better get that Small standard blade 21 and stop putting it off.(have a small micarta insingo)

16. uofaengr

uofaengr

Jan 9, 2014
    To me I prefer both the large and small 21 to the 25. I don't really need finger grooves on a Sebenza nor thicker blade nor more aggressive jimping, I prefer the pivot bushing, and I like having one tool to take down the knife. Simplicity at it's finest. Now if the 21 design goes away in favor of the 25, I'll be greatly disappointed; however, some kind of combination of the 21 and 25 I might could tolerate.

17. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    I love the LG Seb, and UM, Traded my 25 for a Raindrop Damascus 21. Frankly prefer the thinner blade,,and the ease of dis-assembly, Only carry the UM out of state,,,, where the .45 can't go,,,,

18. jon1all

jon1all Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Thought I'd chime in on this thread as I am fresh off making the decision of which to buy (21 or 25). I already have a Lg 21 Insingo (which I love... huge Wharnie fan!) and an Umnumzaan (which I've only had for a little while, but which I also immediately fell in love with). Anyway, I wanted to get one more CRK folder and the 25 just seemed to be the logical choice. So I sold off a bunch of lesser knives to gather funds for a 25 purchase... but when it came time to pull the trigger... I just couldn't help myself from going back to the 21 (Lg) and getting it (in clip point this time of course). My reasoning may be a bit different than others here so I thought I'd share it.

The pivot bushing system (or lack thereof in the case of the 25) is not that big of a deal to me personally. Don't get me wrong, it's great and I love it on my 21 Insingo, but I also love the pivot on my Umnum too (newer style, ie, just like on the 25). All things being equal, would I rather have the pivot bushing system than not? Yes. But, but its non-presence wouldn't stop me from buying a CRK knife (eg, the Umnum). So I guess it's just not that big of a deal to me in the big picture (though I suspect the PBS will be back on a future Sebenza (Seb30?) :)). I do like the finger grooves on the 25's handle and of the more aggressive jimping, but before ordering anything I decided to EDC my 21 Insingo a couple days and really paid attention to it and I really just could NOT find fault with either the handle or the jimping. Would the 25's be better? Maybe, but I love the feel of the 21 in-hand so much that I couldn't quite rationalize wanting something new just for the sake of it being different. The Large Hollow Grind and increased blade thickness were appealing too, but by no means sealed the deal... the blade on the 21 is exquisite after all. Kinda the same with the ceramic ball bearing lockup/detent. It's great on my Umnum, but the regular RIL on my 21 is amazing too... so kind of a non-issue for me. Then there's the weight. The 21 at 4.7oz is just sooooo nice in-pocket and in-hand. The Umnum at 5.0oz is great too... but oddly enough I can feel the difference in the two and favor the 21's weight personally. Now I do have (and frequently carry) heavier knives (eg, I am a huge Hinderer fan too and love the 3.5" XM-18 and carry my XMs easily as often as I do my CRKs... and the XM's weight is a beefy 5.6oz)... but on the Seb, it's just such a svelte knife, with such economy of form and such fine lines that added weight would seem to detract from it (I'm probably over thinking it, but nonetheless the 21's 4.7oz seems soooo perfect... seems to strike the perfect balance between beef and economy).

But what finally put the 21 over the top and caused me to buy it over the 25 was actually something rather superficial and aesthetic. It's the way the 21's clip point blade looks when closed... the way it just disappears into the handle and the cool "rake" it has in doing so. When I bought my Lg 21 Insingo I knew I was sacrificing that beautiful effect (the Insingo blade shape just doesn't lend itself to that)... and I've coveted it ever since. The 25 does have this "rake" as well, but to a lesser (and less appealing/satisfying) degree.

Add all these things up and add the fact that I can't quite shake the feeling that in the long run the 21 will be considered the "Golden Age" of the Sebenza ... the quintessential one to have. (Chris isn't getting any younger you know, LOL... just teasing!:p) The best analogy I can come up with is this... a new (modern) Corvette is awesome. It's chock full of the latest advancements in technology and performance... but there's just something about a 63-67 Vette (C2) that will always be cooler... and the Sebenza 21 will probably be the C2 of the CRK world. :D

Anyway... so yesterday I pulled the trigger on a Lg 21 clip point rather than a 25... should be here by Wednesday. No regrets... to paraphrase Chris... Thought Twice, Bought Once! :D

Sláinte!!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  19. mikepapa1

mikepapa1

Jun 8, 2013
    Well jon1all.. That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out reason to purchase the Sebenza 21 over the Sebenza 25!! Enjoy your new 21!! But I am sure there is a 25 in your future as well!!;)
    All the best, Dave

20. jon1all

jon1all Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 17, 2012
    HAHA!!! Odds are you are right! ;)