Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

I cranked on my 31 as hard as I could and couldn’t detect any lock slip. Maybe the slightest hint of movement, but not different from what I can get most locking knives to do.

I cranked on my 31 as hard as I could and couldn’t detect any lock slip. Maybe the slightest hint of movement, but not different from what I can get most locking knives to do.

It’s not lock slip we are talking about. It’s lock flex, (lock bar flexes toward the spine of the knife under pressure) check out the video by Dcdavis a few posts back. And yes we are not saying it’s an issue, as all my locking knives flex to some extent.

It’s not lock slip we are talking about. It’s lock flex, (lock bar flexes toward the spine of the knife under pressure) check out the video by Dcdavis a few posts back. And yes we are not saying it’s an issue, as all my locking knives flex to some extent.
Learn something new everyday...

Have a ZT 0562 and a Hinderer Eklipse sitting here on my desk...

Both lockbars flex in the same direction as in DC's video, the ZT a bit more than the Hinderer.

Also interesting to note, and maybe an engineer can chime in here, but the lockbar HAS to move on a frame lock knife...

Or else they'd never lock/unlock right?

Open any framelock blade halfway and press on the lockbar in the direction of the spine... it's gonna move.

Moot point at this point.

IMHO

A correctly engineered lockbar only contacts the tang at a single point. So it will always have flex if the geometry is correct.
That single point of contact is what makes them “lock” instead of slip.

It is as answer under the first comment. There are 5 answers. Here is the screenshot:

zSZbJaomd3PvDowOSDhGCb2ioGWg6M0ORbmpg3814oV-dpeUiWaF8L1OxgahfercTBHKiDvI0K2MEzfNaoQqGJuiNwitd5nXZpe3k-Gnw3jMLiesAQQpKfoOSPIry7W2MFMftkpwUsE=w2400

It is as answer under the first comment. There are 5 answers. Here is the screenshot:

zSZbJaomd3PvDowOSDhGCb2ioGWg6M0ORbmpg3814oV-dpeUiWaF8L1OxgahfercTBHKiDvI0K2MEzfNaoQqGJuiNwitd5nXZpe3k-Gnw3jMLiesAQQpKfoOSPIry7W2MFMftkpwUsE=w2400

While Tim and I do not agree on everything, something I Know we Both agree on is that there are more important things going on in the world today that are far more important than perceived “lock rock” on a knife.

I can definitely see cabin fever is spreading faster than the covid-19 virus itself.

May ALL the CRK Family and forum members alike continue to be Safe and follow the CDC Guidlines. Be Smart and Stay Safe...!

Yes, correct.

And the bigger(much) point of contact on the 21 makes it move a lot less when in lock up.
Oh, don't get me wrong...

I see the point of contention.

Just that it truly was a point of ignorance for me until today.

I'm no knife guru or anything, but thought that I just about knew all the basics...

I'll have to add the Bushism "lockbar movementation" to my vocabulary now!

:D

Oh, don't get me wrong...

I see the point of contention.

Just that it truly was a point of ignorance for me until today.

I'm no knife guru or anything, but thought that I just about knew all the basics...

I'll have to add the Bushism "lockbar movementation" to my vocabulary now!

:D

To me, “Bushism” means something else, or perhaps I am on the wrong forum

My 25 flexes if you push on the lockbar when the blade is locked. If I squeeze my 21's hard enough the lockbar will flex towards the stop pin as well, although a very minor amount. Both my small and large Inkosi are early runs that have the factory ball groove on the blade tang. Those two don't flex at all. Generally it is not an issue, however, comparing the solid non-flex of those two knives is quite a nice feeling to be sure. I'm all for bringing back the ball groove. I guess I am in the minority though, because I feel like no one else seems to care when I bring it up. lol

My 25 flexes if you push on the lockbar when the blade is locked. If I squeeze my 21's hard enough the lockbar will flex towards the stop pin as well, although a very minor amount. Both my small and large Inkosi are early runs that have the factory ball groove on the blade tang. Those two don't flex at all. Generally it is not an issue, however, comparing the solid non-flex of those two knives is quite a nice feeling to be sure. I'm all for bringing back the ball groove. I guess I am in the minority though, because I feel like no one else seems to care when I bring it up. lol

Am with you. Just never understood the selling point by CRK for the ball groove when the Inkosi came out, only to soon discontinue it and dismiss it as being unnecessary.

Am with you. Just never understood the selling point by CRK for the ball groove when the Inkosi came out, only to soon discontinue it and dismiss it as being unnecessary.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the ball groove only a feature of the small Inkosi, which was released in advance of the large? I didn’t think it was ever a feature of the large. Is that the case?

Back