Sebenza 31 Lock Rock?!

Just thought I'd give an update after 10 days exclusive carry and use. The minor flex issue mine had has pretty much resolved itself on my large 31 as the ball has worn in a bit against the blade tang .

Really liking the knife as well, hopefully they can sort out this issue in production soon.
Hi Matt,
Did your new knife arrive directly from CRK with a recent manufacture date?
Reason I am asking is that I have one on order possibly only due in 2 or 3 months time and also wondering that if this flex thing is really an issue that by the time I get the call for mine that it will have been recognized and resolved by the factory.
Thanks for the update.

Purchased from Monkey Edge, birth date is 26 March 2020. If I can ever work out how to post a photo I'll get one up of the blade tang with the start of the groove .
Hi Matt,
Did your new knife arrive directly from CRK with a recent manufacture date?
Reason I am asking is that I have one on order possibly only due in 2 or 3 months time and also wondering that if this flex thing is really an issue that by the time I get the call for mine that it will have been recognized and resolved by the factory.
Thanks for the update.

Purchased from Monkey Edge, birth date is 26 March 2020. If I can ever work out how to post a photo I'll get one up of the blade tang with the start of the groove .
Thanks so with that birth date I guess that's about just when CRK was being made aware of this.
To post an image create a free imgur account and upload your image.
Then grab the link it gives you and then when prompted for image url when clicking the image icon in the editor just paste it there as I have done below.
Yes I am ex SA and have a few customs from both current and ex SA knifemakers!

NZ0am9k.jpg

Sorry mate, I uploaded to imgur , but when I copy the link here I kept getting weird messages saying I was 'blocked by the site owner'

Just a quick update:

Keep in mine I work with my hands... ;) My knife for sure has movement. Not sure if it is lock flex or what? Just when in the opened position it moves as you wiggle around the blade. One other thing I have noticed is that the detent is very strong. I own several 21''s and a couple Inkosi's and they do not have these same characteristics. As for the detent I feel the ceramic ball is the same size as on the Inkosi which makes the detent on the 21 more than it should be comparing it to the other new 21's I own. I almost feel the ball should be smaller by default seeing how the lock face is smaller. If you open the knife slowly allowing the lock to engage slowly the lock up has more flex/ blade play than when you open the knife faster. Mine also has a little lock stick, like some regular's I have owned.
I do not think the knife will fail. I believe it will function as intended with no issues. It will open and lock better than most knives on the market. But I will say this knife is not an improvement over the 21. The hole in the scale never was a problem for me as well as the lock wearing to the point of failure. Just seems to me that this move was made to speed up the production process as well has have a clean scale for CGG to market to small companies wanting them.
I am still a fan and truly believe the 31 is a much better option than the majority of knives around. If I had to guess these issue will be resolved. I see these small issues as fixable in some way. I do not believe this should be the norm. They need to address the issue if the goal is the make a knife that locks up as well as the 21 did. For some odd reason I believe a smaller ceramic ball would help.... maybe it would allow the lock bar to travel further and lock more solid as well has lighten the detent a tad.
Hopeful for sure!

Got a Large 21 back in the collection and after a disassembly and cleaning it's clear to me something is twisted in the 31. Some type of unsprung pressure that doesn't exist in the 21. People are on to something with the lock interface ball size, but I think that new stop pin needs to be looked at. It was mentioned earlier in the thread and it lit my brain up like fireworks when I put the 21 back together. Everything was at rest. Flat. The 31 just felt like it wanted to *ping* into action. I suspect the stop pin might have a few thou out of place somewhere. Hardened steel is probably trickier to hand fit with high grit paper and emery cloths.

Either way, my 31 journey is over for now and my CRK ambitions look toward the past. I've got the Call of the Regular pretty bad right now. Pray for me guys.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with kylemiller kylemiller .
I finally received my, pre-ordered and paid for, Large Maccassar 31. The blade has zero side to side play, and the detent is strong. However, there is still that up/down flex.
This will be my last 31 I’m afraid, which is super disappointing to me.
I am currently using the Micarta 31 at work, and it holds up well. The up/down just drives me bonkers. :/

I finally received my, pre-ordered and paid for, Large Maccassar 31. The blade has zero side to side play, and the detent is strong. However, there is still that up/down flex.
I am currently using the Micarta 31 at work, and it holds up well. The up/down just drives me bonkers. :/

+1

And I would return the Maccassar if it was my knife.

+1

And I would return the Maccassar if it was my knife.

Problem is...this Maccassar inlay is just so darn beautiful!

Problem is...this Maccassar inlay is just so darn beautiful!

Yeah, it sure is!

But as you said the play drives you crazy, it would bother me immensely as well.

If it drives you nuts now, imagine how it will drive you even more nuts once the honeymoon days/months are over?

I'm in a phase now where I am thinning down my collection, keeping only the true stellar ones and the knives I buy now REALLY has to go through a tiiiiny needle eye.

Just a tip. ;)

Last edited:

Handled my first 31 this week and I'm happy I canceled my order .

Over all a good knife but the up and down flex drove me nuts soon as I checked it.

Too bad but I'm happy with my inkosi anyway.

Handled my first 31 this week and I'm happy I canceled my order .

Over all a good knife but the up and down flex drove me nuts soon as I checked it.

Too bad but I'm happy with my inkosi anyway.

In my opinion only....if CRK is now ok with noticable lockflex (up/down flex)...other companies will take the hint, and guess what...”nope, not covered under warranty...it’s just up/down play...works fine.”
There are tolerances that we have come to expect from CRK...and in my opinion, they missed the mark on this one. :(

Decided to skip the 31 until the quality control or the design is good enough. I just ordered 21 Large Black Micarta instead.

Decided to skip the 31 until the quality control or the design is good enough. I just ordered 21 Large Black Micarta instead.
I have decided the same thing. Until CRK addresses the issues with the 31, I'll spend my cash elsewhere. The issue itself is bad but CRK response has been much worse IMHO. Extremely disappointing.
I'll stick with my Umnumzaan, small Inkosi, small 21 wood inlay and large PJ 21. I was looking to purchase a large and a small micarta 31 this spring/summer but those plans are on hold.

I will add this.... the 31 is better than most all knives out in its price range and above... I would not hesitate to purchase the 31 if you needed a good carry knife. I would how ever say if you had the chance to purchase a 21 that was what you where looking for, go for it.
The 21 set the bar high and I do believe the 31 has the potential. The potential that the 21 lent it.;)

I must also say this...my Maccassar 31 came with loctite/tape on the pivot screw to keep it from backing out I guess? Come to think of it, I’ve had to snug up my micarta after a day of use as well. :(
My question is...if I need loctite on my pivot to keep it tight...what the heck is the pivot bushing for??!!
This is seeming more and more like a Sebenza failure and more like a Inkosi 31 with bad lockflex.
So extremely disappointed right now.

Howdy all, first time posting and first time CRK owner. I have a Sebenza 31 on order with black micarta... Have I made a mistake? Should I switch the order to the 21?

I've watched several YouTube unboxings and reviews and this doesn't seem to be a huge issue for them, but I'm unsure after seeing this thread.

Howdy all, first time posting and first time CRK owner. I have a Sebenza 31 on order with black micarta... Have I made a mistake? Should I switch the order to the 21?

I've watched several YouTube unboxings and reviews and this doesn't seem to be a huge issue for them, but I'm unsure after seeing this thread.

I think the main thing from the tread is that this doesn’t affect the use of the knife at all. Nobody has ever reported any lock failure.

However, the variations noted in different 31’s and the CRK response has been frustrating for many leading to concern.

I’m sure that many are happy with theirs and wouldn’t care one bit about all of this. But the biggest question is would you?

Back