Off Topic Sebenza BS

I have 30 years of experience flicking open folding knives. My sebenza is ~6 years old, drops open freely when the lock bar is moved off the blade since the day I got it, but it cannot be flicked opn from the fully closed position.

However I bought mine brand new, in store, at GPKnives. I don't compulsively open & close it for hours, nor have previous owners "modified" the washers or "adjusted" the lock bar tension. I only use CRK grease and it is cleaned & lubed per the old CRK factory instructions.

No user error involved in its fine hydraulic action, just a well cared for Sebenza still with the original owner.
Yeah that's odd man, I do find myself as a "fidget-er" so I may just open/close my knife more than you?
My knife only had one previous owner who carried it maybe 3 times. The knife was mint when I got it.
First thing I did was dissemble it to check for the "bushing scratches" in the Titanium scales..there were hardly any. So that gave me a very very good indication that the Original owner was telling the truth about how much of a safe queen this was for him. I then cleaned (without polishing the bushings) lubed and reassembled the knife.
It now drops close and flicks open with ease...

I guess what I'm getting at is..I suppose not every knife/owner are the same huh? Lol

Edit: But hey, the biggest thing I heard everyone preach about before I purchased this beautiful knife is that you DONT buy one with the intentions of it being a knife you can sit there and flick like a axis lock or something along those lines. So I get it haha.

Yeah that's odd man, I do find myself as a "fidget-er" so I may just open/close my knife more than you?
My knife only had one previous owner who carried it maybe 3 times. The knife was mint when I got it.
First thing I did was dissemble it to check for the "bushing scratches" in the Titanium scales..there were hardly any. So that gave me a very very good indication that the Original owner was telling the truth about how much of a safe queen this was for him. I then cleaned (without polishing the bushings) lubed and reassembled the knife.
It now drops close and flicks open with ease...

I guess what I'm getting at is..I suppose not every knife/owner are the same huh? Lol

Edit: But hey, the biggest thing I heard everyone preach about before I purchased this beautiful knife is that you DONT buy one with the intentions of it being a knife you can sit there and flick like a axis lock or something along those lines. So I get it haha.
It's also the case that not every sebenza is fitted the same (which is done by hand at CRK) and they don't all break in at the same rate. I have some where the blade freely dropped after a week of use and others that do not. Some flick easier than others as well.

My oldest Sebenza is 7 years old. It's been used pretty heavily throughout that time, yet it still does not drop freely when I release the lockbar. None of my CRKs have ever done that. All of them have been flickable, though.

My small Classic MM micarta(daily user) is not even close to dropping free, and that is fine with me.
I open and close my knives to use. I don't sit in front of the TV opening and closing all night. Everything wears out eventually, and I see no need to hasten that(but that's an IMO)

P Peter Hartwig
We're just getting old and set in our ways. A free falling blade is nice and all, but I've yet to see where it's beneficial to the function of the knife when it's being used. Except, for it to bite you when you've got your mind on other things at that moment.

...I guess what I'm getting at is..I suppose not every knife/owner are the same huh? Lol...

Agree. With my knife, the lock bar tension keeps it from being flicked open. My personal belief is that if the lock bar works, it's not "tuned" to be flickable at the factory, thus you get differences in action. Some flick open, others don't. I also believe, that some people push the lock bar over farther than others in normal closing, this may over time change the amount of force the lock bar puts on in the closed position. Then there has been more than one person on the internet state they made their sebenza action smoother and faster by bending out the lock bar.

Agree. With my knife, the lock bar tension keeps it from being flicked open. My personal belief is that if the lock bar works, it's not "tuned" to be flickable at the factory, thus you get differences in action. Some flick open, others don't. I also believe, that some people push the lock bar over farther than others in normal closing, this may over time change the amount of force the lock bar puts on in the closed position. Then there has been more than one person on the internet state they made their sebenza action smoother and faster by bending out the lock bar.
Haha I would never go as far as purposely bending my lock bar out more simply for a free falling blade. It's not THAT important to me.

At the end of the day it just sounds like a got lucky I suppose. Well even that's an opinion. Some may hate that their Sebenza flicks open. As it seems many do lol. Or they simply don't care.

On a off note guys...I visited Shooter of Jacksonville today and I got to handle a CRK Umnum today..boy am I glad I went with the L21 lol. Not a fan of the thumb studs or the weird scalloped blade spine on the Umnum..I mean the ceremic detent is nice ..but it definitely doesn't sell the knife for me.

P Peter Hartwig
We're just getting old and set in our ways. A free falling blade is nice and all, but I've yet to see where it's beneficial to the function of the knife when it's being used. Except, for it to bite you when you've got your mind on other things at that moment.
Lol I'd hope my 70% detent lock up on a CRK wouldn't fail me...

did Sebenza's always have ceramic detent balls? if not, when did they introduce them?

anyone that cant flick open a sebenza do you have a SS or Ceramic detent?

did Sebenza's always have ceramic detent balls? if not, when did they introduce them?

No no I'm talking about the Umnum lol. Thought I mentioned that

Sebenzas have ceramic detents

Umnumzaans, 25s, inkosi have ceramic ball which serves as a detent and lock face

Only the Umnumzaan, Sebenza 25 and Inkosi have the ceramic detent balls.
The Sebenza 21 has never had a ceramic detent ball.

Only the Umnumzaan, Sebenza 25 and Inkosi have the ceramic detent balls.
The Sebenza 21 has never had a ceramic detent ball.

Actually they have, not sure about the year it was introduced but my oldest sebenza is from 2005 and it already has one.

Actually they have, not sure about the year it was introduced but my oldest sebenza is from 2005 and it already has one.

Post a pic, I'm unaware of any type of ceramic detent on the Sebenza 21's

Post a pic, I'm unaware of any type of ceramic detent on the Sebenza 21's

There's no visual difference, they are just made out of ceramic. It's not unique for CRK, there is couple other knives with ceramic detent balls on the market

Sebenzas have ceramic detents

Umnumzaans, 25s, inkosi have ceramic ball which serves as a detent and lock face
Ceremic detents? I thought the little corner of the lock bar was just heat treated differently than the rest of the titanium giving it that "darker" color you notice? But hell what do I know..

Ceremic detents? I thought the little corner of the lock bar was just heat treated differently than the rest of the titanium giving it that "darker" color you notice? But hell what do I know..

There is a documentary on youtube which is like one and a half hours long and it explains all the details of the Sebenza, including heat treated lock bar and ceramic detent ball.

Back