Second knife as a loaner?

I loaned a knife once and the dude cut himself.

If I'm there, I can do whatever they were trying to do.

Lot of good points. I never even thought about the level of sharpness being to much for the lay person. Makes sense, my wife and mother in law won't let me sharpen their knives cuz they will be "To Sharp"..... I say that's not possible :cool:

Who carries 2 knives incase someone asks to borrow one? A 2 min loan of a knife can quickly ruin ur edge if the person isn't an educated user. I've had to resharpen knives one to many times because of this. I'm contemplating putting my Rat 2 in my left pocket for this scenario.

What's ur experience, do u carry a spare because of this and what is ur spare?

Thats why God created Mora knives. ;)

Last edited:
If the city slickers want to cut something with my knife, I give them a cold steel knife to play with because I don’t care what they do with such a cheap knife.

If they want to know more about knives, I show them my personal knife on me and then direct them to this forum.

I usually only carry one knife with me. On occasion I'll carry two if one's a fixed blade. When I go camping or woodswalkin' I may have an extra folder on my person, very rarely though.

Now when people ask to use my knife I always politely say, "What do you need cut?", and proceed to cut whatever needed sliced and diced myself. If it's someone I know that isn't an idiot I'll let them use one of my knives for 5 minutes at most. My reasoning is if they're smart enough to use a knife, they're smart enough to carry one themselves.

If my apprentices ask to use my knife I always ask why. I usually say yes, and give them one of the four I have on me depending on the task at hand.

Followed by "I thought you said you were going to buy one?".

I use them daily for the same cuts anyway, and my co workers know I'm big on knives so they respect them.

Resized_20170911_104300.jpeg

This is the only one I'll loan out.
5lK3wML.jpg

Simple, I just assert my authority of my own property.

"Do you have a knife?"
"What do you need me to cut for you?"

Works every time...

I might loan out a Stanley utility knife (but not my good one). Other than that, forget it.

Same here. But I do gift knives to others.
Yes, gifts are a different matter. I have given knives as gifts to friends, family, and other acquaintances. But then it's their knife, not mine that I am loaning and expecting to receive back. I do seem to end up providing free lifetime sharpening services to some of the recipients, but I like sharpening knives so not a big hassle.

Yes, gifts are a different matter. I have given knives as gifts to friends, family, and other acquaintances. But then it's their knife, not mine that I am loaning and expecting to receive back. I do seem to end up providing free lifetime sharpening services to some of the recipients, but I like sharpening knives so not a big hassle.
Personally, by giving knives as gifts, the receiver would be appreciative and would want to care more for it. They will want to know the do's and don'ts and will end up using it the proper way. As for the sharpening part, its good to know that those tools are being used and taken care off. Its a good feeling .

I've given a few away, just recently gave a kid I met a ZT 0452CF. He loved knives and was just starting out. He was lacking a framelock and a flipper. I made sure he had that role covered.

His appreciation of my gesture was worth much more than the money I spent on the knife. The smile on his face was worth a million dollars.

I do loan or provide utility knives to use on my jobs. I keep 4 or 5 in my vehicle all the time. The funny thing is they always want a new blade and don't know how to install one. So, I have to do it. If providing a knife to folks in general was a common thing for me or common to have folks ask, I would probably carry a cheapie for this purpose. But generally other than the utility knives, they usually don't ask often.

The funny thing is they always want a new blade and don't know how to install one. So, I have to do it.
I would only show them once. If they don't pay attention, they will have to figure it out on their own.

I loaned a knife once and the dude cut himself.

If I'm there, I can do whatever they were trying to do.
Yeah, the unintended consequences of loaning your knife I also learned the hard way as many other lessons in life. Assumption is the Mother of all mistakes. I eventually learned the hard way that not everyone knows how to properly use a knife.

A lot of it depends on who's asking and for what they need. I always have something on me, or near to me, that I don't mind loaning out to people I trust but I always ask so I can give them the proper tool. I don't want them cutting wire with my knives.

If I don't know the person, I'll loan them a box cutter or one of those $4 Walmart specials I grab every now and then, just for situations like this.

I don t loan my knife to others. If I can cut something for someone I ll do it.

Borrowing a knife at the office is sort of like the guy who always asks you for $0.50 to buy a Coke (like it's no big deal to me), never repays you, and never has any money if you ask him for $ for a drink. People are supposed to take care of themselves rather than depending on other people especially if the need is fairly common.

Back