• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Selling modded items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im rather new to the forum but had a bad experience lately. I have posted a modified Cruwear micarta shaman for sale and for trade. The tags have been switched on two occasions to add tags that seem aimed at diminishing the value of the item. My question for the community is “what are people’s thoughts on modified knives?”

I see knives as tools that can be changed to be better for some people. That won’t always be seen as an improvement and certainly diminished the resale value as a collectors item.

Here is my post from the original posting:

“Modified crucarta shaman”
I've been very clear that this knife has been modified. It is the first word in the title. I am a fixed blade designer and maker and I spend a lot of time thinking about how to make good/great tool even better. I don’t make folders and I leave that to others with more expensive equipment, however I do think that tools can be improved. These improvements will not be an improvement for everyone and that is okay. The work I do certainly diminishes the value as a collector item, but I don’t make or alter safe/drawer queens.

I’m posting this for sale for the people out there who want a knife that is modified in ways they might find useful. I’ve been clear about how it has been altered and am posting it at a loss from what I paid with my time put into the piece. I don’t think anyone who wants it as a collector item is interested, and they shouldn’t be. If no one else is interested that’s okay too. It certainly is a better tool for me than what came to me. However, I find myself not carrying it outside my shop because of rules in the towns I live and work in (3” laws). So I’m putting it up on a market for others who want a tool.

If you’re not interested, move along.

Thoughts from the community?

In general unless you are a famous knife maker and a desired modification it is s going to diminish the original value of the knife, not add value to it-collector or not. The same will hold true when (or if) they go to sell it. Modified knives can be very hard to sell, unless the modification itself has a following,
That's my opinion

In general unless you are a famous knife maker and a desired modification it is s going to diminish the original value of the knife, not add value to it-collector or not. The same will hold true when (or if) they go to sell it. Modified knives can be very hard to sell, unless the modification itself has a following,
That's my opinion
That’s good info. Thank you.

In my opinion your listing is a little on the arrogant side. The, "...I spend a lot of time thinking about how to make good/great tool even better" thing alone would be enough for me to hit the back button.

When I see a 'modded' knife I pass every time. This includes the infamous 'brand new with recontoured edge' and the like. I've done plenty of modifications on my own knives. I'd never presume to improve something for someone else's benefit. Telling people to 'move along' if they don't agree with my assessment, that'd never happen either.

I get that it could be off putting and I totally get staying away from modded items as a general rule. I usually check them out but rarely would go for a modded item. At the same time, isn’t that how things get better? Planning out and trying new things. How does a mod become desired or get a following without trying it first. I’m not claiming to be the first on this, but I like making something that fits me.

Plenty of people have commented in forums and YouTube about the nub. For some it is a useful feature, for some a deal breaker, and for most a minor inconvenience that they are willing to deal with.

To me, it would depend on the mod, and how well it was done. You post above doesn't mention what was done. As you said, what seems like an upgrade to you may be,uh, not so much to someone else. The best you can do is be upfront ,explain and show pics.

To me, it would depend on the mod, and how well it was done. You post above doesn't mention what was done. As you said, what seems like an upgrade to you may be,uh, not so much to someone else. The best you can do is be upfront ,explain and show pics.
I totally agree. To me it is about transparency for mods and for sales in general. This blade happened to get scratched up and I made sure to use a picture that captured the blemish.
For reference, this is the OP. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/modified-crucarta-shaman.1706033/

Your original asking price was the same as a NIB that have been selling at secondary prices which just leaves me dumbfounded as to why people are willing to pay that much over what they sold for. I looked at it, saw your price and moved on.
Upon a second look, the scratches on the blade plus the mods didn’t warrant a premium price. IMO, in order to ask premium prices, th knife should be NIB and if it isn’t, the price should reflect it.

I’m gonna go out on a limb (not really) and say that the vast majority of buyers of the Cruwear Shaman are collectors, not users. They want a Spyderco fresh, NIB model - that’s who’s paying crazy premiums for it.

Modded knives will hardly ever be worth more than NIB, unless it’s a substantial change, done by a well known and professional modder - like Tom Krein regrinds, for example.

For relatively simpler changes like nub removal or an added sharpening choil, many users here would be able to do it themselves. For them to buy a knife with it already done, they’d consider it used and want a discount from the retail price. It’s a completely different group of people than the collectors paying premiums.

What tags were added? The ones on the listing now seem fairly benign. If someone is adding clearly negative tags, let the mods know so they can deal with it.

These are great points and I’ve since adjusted the price down. Since I’m taking a loss and I think it is still a great knife I’ll just keep it if it doesn’t sell at this price.

Some of the tags I recall were kind of funny like #flippedafterallthatdamage and #dremelled. Others along the lines of #damaged #overpriced #ruined. Fine for people to have that opinion and express it but not cool at the same time. Just flippant opinions without asking any questions. That’s why I wanted to open up the discussion and get feedback.

These are great points and I’ve since adjusted the price down. Since I’m taking a loss and I think it is still a great knife I’ll just keep it if it doesn’t sell at this price.

Some of the tags I recall were kind of funny like #flippedafterallthatdamage and #dremelled. Others along the lines of #damaged #overpriced #ruined. Fine for people to have that opinion and express it but not cool at the same time. Just flippant opinions without asking any questions. That’s why I wanted to open up the discussion and get feedback.

‘Where are these tags you speak of.

I took them down just like the other person took down some of my originals and added their own.

There is an edit button at the end of the tags and anyone can alter them.

I took them down just like the other person took down some of my originals and added their own.

There is an edit button at the end of the tags and anyone can alter them.

Gotcha, I didn’t see them nor do I pay any attention to them. I guess I just saw the tags you put.

It wasn’t a big deal and started a good conversation. Like I said, some were kind of funny but changing them seemed childish and unhelpful for people using them to find stuff.

Thanks to all who contributed. This is a helpful community.

So what you are saying is other users are tagging your sales ad with negative comments.

If that is accurate you should report the post to an admin and maybe open a new thread in tech support.

Messing with threads in the exchange is explicitly forbidden. You either buy the item or keep your mouth shut and keep walking.

And re your question about modding a knife. Yes every single thing you do reduces the value of the blade. Until you're a well know bladesmith leave it alone. Even sharpening a knife is off limits.

It depends on the knife. The more expensive it is, the more likely it is going to lose value by being modded (at least by somebody that isn't a pro. A known pro even).

Also, if it's value comes from being a 'collectible', then modding it will probably lower it's value.

So what you are saying is other users are tagging your sales ad with negative comments.

If that is accurate you should report the post to an admin and maybe open a new thread in tech support.

Messing with threads in the exchange is explicitly forbidden. You either buy the item or keep your mouth shut and keep walking.

And re your question about modding a knife. Yes every single thing you do reduces the value of the blade. Until you're a well know bladesmith leave it alone. Even sharpening a knife is off limits.
That is good to know. I don’t think it will be an issue again but if it happens in the future I’ll take a screen shot and send it to a mod. I was surprised that people could change it but it seems open to all. I agree that you should either buy or keep walking with the sales threads.

That is good to know. I don’t think it will be an issue again but if it happens in the future I’ll take a screen shot and send it to a mod. I was surprised that people could change it but it seems open to all. I agree that you should either buy or keep walking with the sales threads.
A screenshot is good but some of the admin staff has right to see posts after edits etc. so if someone is playing around there's no safe space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back