• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Selling on Ebay?

How can I learn to sell stuff on Ebay? I know absolutely nothing about Ebay, and have never bought or old anything there. Aside from establishing an account and posting pictures and a description of the items for sale, I am concerned about 1) payment and payment methods, and 2) shipping. I need an "Ebay for Beginners." It has to be very simple. Imagine that you are speaking to an idiot. That's me.

Thanks.

P.S. If there is a market place that is better than Ebay, please feel free to advise.

Honestly, eBay makes it pretty simple. Once you initiate a listing, it basically walks you through all the necessary steps and you can adjust all the terms as you go. It even lets you preview it before it goes live, if you so choose, to make sure everything is correct.

It might seem complicated the first time but just go slow and triple check every aspect of your listing before you submit it.

EBay allows you to save your listing and come back to it later. I save mine several times and I walk away for a few hours each time. This gives me time to think about it and I sometimes realize that I missed something.

Then I go back and make the change and save it again. When I’m finally confident that everything in my listing is the way I want it be, then I submit the listing.

Just take your time and think everything through and you’ll be fine.

I'm on eBull since their beginning
Stopped selling few years ago
They cheat sellers, cheat buyers too
And much more, all wrong ...
Not recommended,
but every body should try it byself :^D

I don’t really care for fleaBay.. people buy things and decide they don’t want them, they’ll intentionally scratch things up or use them for a week and then file a return for “item doesn’t match description”. I much prefer this forum. In the end, you probably get the same payout (after fees).

To answer your two concerns:

You will need a PayPal account if you don’t already have one. This is how most eBay buyers pay for their items.

For shipping, just box it up and take it to the counter at the post office. Save the receipt so you can mark it shipped on eBay and attach the tracking number.

You can also pay for and print shipping labels from home if you chose to do so.

When the buyer pays by PayPal, their shipping address will be provided by email from PayPal. You can also look up their address in your PayPal account once they have paid.

To answer your two concerns:

You will need a PayPal account if you don’t already have one. This is how most eBay buyers pay for their items.

For shipping, just box it up and take it to the counter at the post office. Save the receipt so you can mark it shipped on eBay and attach the tracking number.

You can also pay for and print shipping labels from home if you chose to do so.

When the buyer pays by PayPal, their shipping address will be provided by email from PayPal. You can also look up their address in your PayPal account once they have paid.
I’m not certain, but I think eBay moved away from paying OUT to PayPal accounts.

I am grateful for everyone's replies. Thank you.

Payment problems, fraud and returns are strong disincentives for me. Maybe not insurmountable. I'm wondering how people deal with all the hassles and still find it profitable. Is it worth it to try to sell low-dollar items, like a $15 book? The last time I went to the P.O., it cost me $10 to ship a pair of winter gloves First Class. They were just gloves in an envelope.

I am grateful for everyone's replies. Thank you.

Payment problems, fraud and returns are strong disincentives for me. Maybe not insurmountable. I'm wondering how people deal with all the hassles and still find it profitable. Is it worth it to try to sell low-dollar items, like a $15 book? The last time I went to the P.O., it cost me $10 to ship a pair of winter gloves First Class. They were just gloves in an envelope.
Yes this is why there is a minimum spend with many companies for “free shipping”.

Basically, you need to sell the gloves for $25.

One positive for eBay is there is a discount on shipping, and it’s a one stop shop for all shipping to include first class, which to my knowledge requires a stamps account or a trip to the post office otherwise.

Yep, most people still pay for stuff via PP, but ebay now pays out directly to a bank account, after a couple days.

Here is a good article on the changes. Basically cutting paypal out is a net reduction in fees, and gives buyers more payment options.

Maybe a reduction in the qty of fees, but from what I've seen, the new single ebay fee is about the same as the old separate PP fee and ebay fee added together...about 13%.

Yep, most people still pay for stuff via PP, but ebay now pays out directly to a bank account, after a couple days.

Maybe a reduction in the qty of fees, but from what I've seen, the new single ebay fee is about the same as the old separate PP fee and ebay fee added together...about 13%.
I’m not certain, but anecdotally funds have been “released” shortly after tracking picks up movement with shipping service. Not sure if that’s just a coincidence.

Been on ebay since 2009 I think, and I started buying things first to establish my account. After a bit I started selling too, and started with lower cost items to get the hang of it. Depending what you're selling, buyers may be hesitant to deal with a noob.

Been on ebay since 2009 I think, and I started buying things first to establish my account. After a bit I started selling too, and started with lower cost items to get the hang of it. Depending what you're selling, buyers may be hesitant to deal with a noob.
I think some knives just sell better in certain places. For example, I think cheaper knives fetch a better price on eBay. eBay has a wider market. If I have a knife worth over $150, I come here. Everything below that would probably sell better on eBay.

Back