• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Selling on Ebay?

I remember the payout process now. My shipping terms are “usually ships in 1 business day” and I remember thinking how strange it was that I had to ship before I actually had the money in my account.
Yeah don't like how much control over the money they have now, but so far so good. I usually ship the next day too, but have my terms set to 3 days just in case. Don't think I've ever had it take 3 days, but have needed 2 every once in a while.

I’m not certain, but anecdotally funds have been “released” shortly after tracking picks up movement with shipping service. Not sure if that’s just a coincidence.

Do you have to cover shipping before the funds are "released".

Thanks again for the helpful info. It's been a while.

Do you have to cover shipping before the funds are "released".

Thanks again for the helpful info. It's been a while.
You won’t get the funds for 2-3 days after the sale. I’ve never received funds before shipping. eBay is a sort of intermediary though. They pay eBay and then eBay pays you. eBay tells you when it’s time to ship, which means the buyer paid eBay.

You won’t get the funds for 2-3 days after the sale. I’ve never received funds before shipping. eBay is a sort of intermediary though. They pay eBay and then eBay pays you. eBay tells you when it’s time to ship, which means the buyer paid eBay.

Interesting, it used to be a similar way when you started out selling. Like 14 days wait before funds getting released, but they did allow you print a shipping label from the funds "release" before hand iirc.

Good post. I have been thinking about selling on their also. Been thinking about selling hear also but haven’t gotten around to either. But the info is great.

Good post. I have been thinking about selling on their also. Been thinking about selling hear also but haven’t gotten around to either. But the info is great.

Some random thoughts:
1) Take high-quality close-up pictures. Get a dedicated camera that you can control better than your cell phone. Many people don't want to have to ask questions about condition.
2) Be willing to take returns if the buyer thinks that item does not match your description. Leads to good feedback and karma. But put a reasonable time limit on the return.
3) Ebay selling uses a bank account with routing number to do transfers in and out. You can no longer add a Paypal account.
4) Be prepared to receive a 1099-K this year if you sell more than $600 worth of items on eBay or using Paypal (new 2022 law) in the calendar year

For knife photos (especially on eBay because some buyers can be VERY picky)…

Here are the photos I typically take:
1. Left side open
2. Right side open
3. Lock face open
4. Centering closed
5. Left side blade
6. Right side blade
7. Left side scale closed
8. Right side scale closed
9. Packaging label
10. Knife with all packaging contents
11 and 12: Any defects, scratches, chips, blemishes up close with circles around issues.

This typically keeps questions about photos to a minimum. Take the photos up close instead of far away and cropped.

People often ask where it was bought, or if you’re the original owner. Be brutally honest about the condition. Hell hath no fury like an eBay buyer scorned (even if it’s an overreaction).

From experience: If someone asks to return a knife in a PM, just accept it, even if you picked “no returns permitted”. If you don’t, they’ll go drop it in the driveway and kick it around out of spite and then file a return with eBay for “item doesn’t match description”. I’m not even kidding, just take the return and sell it again. Not worth the hassle. eBay sides with buyers every time. Remember this.

Edited to add: Also big issue I almost forgot to mention.. do NOT conduct returns through messaging. Tell them to file a return with eBay. Otherwise you have no timeline. There is a process that needs to be followed. People will also try to message you and conduct a purchase off eBay. Ignore them. People will also try to hijack auctions by messaging you after another buyer wins to try and change the shipping address. Don’t fall for it.

Last edited:
For knife photos (especially on eBay because some buyers can be VERY picky)…

Here are the photos I typically take:
1. Left side open
2. Right side open
3. Lock face open
4. Centering closed
5. Left side blade
6. Right side blade
7. Left side scale closed
8. Right side scale closed
9. Packaging label
10. Knife with all packaging contents
11 and 12: Any defects, scratches, chips, blemishes up close with circles around issues.

This typically keeps questions about photos to a minimum. Take the photos up close instead of far away and cropped.

People often ask where it was bought, or if you’re the original owner. Be brutally honest about the condition. Hell hath no fury like an eBay buyer scorned (even if it’s an overreaction).

From experience: If someone asks to return a knife in a PM, just accept it, even if you picked “no returns permitted”. If you don’t, they’ll go drop it in the driveway and kick it around out of spite and then file a return with eBay for “item doesn’t match description”. I’m not even kidding, just take the return and sell it again. Not worth the hassle. eBay sides with buyers every time. Remember this.

Edited to add: Also big issue I almost forgot to mention.. do NOT conduct returns through messaging. Tell them to file a return with eBay. Otherwise you have no timeline. There is a process that needs to be followed. People will also try to message you and conduct a purchase off eBay. Ignore them. People will also try to hijack auctions by messaging you after another buyer wins to try and change the shipping address. Don’t fall for it.

And a close-up of the clip shows whether it was ever carried or not.

From my eBay selling experiences, nothing is worse than a chargeback. With eBay's latest Payment Management, it's the same as before.

How can I learn to sell stuff on Ebay? I know absolutely nothing about Ebay, and have never bought or old anything there. Aside from establishing an account and posting pictures and a description of the items for sale, I am concerned about 1) payment and payment methods, and 2) shipping. I need an "Ebay for Beginners." It has to be very simple. Imagine that you are speaking to an idiot. That's me.

Thanks.

P.S. If there is a market place that is better than Ebay, please feel free to advise.

Ebay is a weird beast now.

1. Ebay processes all payments now so you will need a bank account to receive your funds. These go out every 2 days. Since you are new, I think they hold it longer until you prove yourself reliable

2. Shipping..you can buy labels right off Ebay using part of the funds or any other payment method.

I really wouldn't jump in with anything expensive at first. Sell small stuff so you learn the ins and outs

Aside from ebay..theres not many that even allow knives. Ecrater is good but if you use PayPal you can't sell autos..daggers. assisted or a whole bunch of others.

Ebay is probably the friendliest to sell knives atm. But definitely don't sell anything of value for awhile until you learn

As a buyer, my No. 1 tip is "Good pictures" - unless you really are trying to hide something. The only time I broke my rule and bought a Remington Scout pattern folder off terrible pictures, it came rusted shut - all four tools - and the back ione scale was badly cracked. My fault. I facilitated the scam. When PayPal refused to help, I contested the credit card payment and got my money back.

Back