September 2021 BOTM - 301 Stockman 420HC FFG Long Pull, Black Burlap Micarta

I'm really surprised these aren't sold out yet?
I'm also surprised this one is still hanging around. I received mine yesterday, and I love it! Great knife. I have a quick question though: is Buck no longer doing a COA with the botm? I didn't get one with mine, so I assume it is no longer being done.

I'm also surprised this one is still hanging around. I received mine yesterday, and I love it! Great knife. I have a quick question though: is Buck no longer doing a COA with the botm? I didn't get one with mine, so I assume it is no longer being done.
yeah they don't do the coa on botm. not sure when they stopped. I never really paid attention in the past to it.

Mine arrived yesterday. Because of the build quantity I did not feel guilty buying 2. The fit and finish is excellent on both and the only nitpick is that the edge grinds are a bit uneven in width. The flat grind blades and long nicks give it a bit of distinction. My personal taste would have been for the micarta to have been polished, not matt texture. I think the box is a waste but the bag is a really nice touch. I wish Buck would go back to the nice size appropriate 2 piece boxes of yesteryear. All in all, I'm pleased with them. Pictures on Sunday. /Roger

Last edited:
I'll add to the list of those in appreciation of a really great little knife. Mine is another fine example. I do like the micarta on this one. Kind of like an old pair of jeans. Hopefully we'll see more of these in the 300 series later.
View attachment 1649739
I was thinking when I first saw these that the micarta reminds me of denim jeans. As for myself, the black didn’t appeal to me, I’d rather have a blue or some other color.

I got mine today. It will make for a nice user and will get carried a lot. Like others, the blades are right against the liners and might be rubbing slightly. With that and the chalky looking micarta I'd say it's not as nice as I was expecting, but not bad enough to send back. If I was in charge I'd have shipped them in yellow boxes (not next level, black boxes)

I'm happy. Solid little working knife. I prefer raw unpolished micarta. Here is one of two.

Buck%2B301%2BBOM%2BSept%2B21%2B-%2B02.jpg

I received the BOTM 301 the other night. I quickly pulled out the forum knife from a couple years ago. The fit and finish on the forum knife is much better than on the BOTM example that I received. Gaps in the springs, and what appears to be over-ground handles and bolsters, buffed out and then given a matte finish... Also the main blade appears to have met a buffing wheel, giving it a wavy almost polished look.

So, while not a perfect example, I am sure it would make perfectly serviceable pocket knife. It will remain in my collection.

I received the BOTM 301 the other night. I quickly pulled out the forum knife from a couple years ago. The fit and finish on the forum knife is much better than on the BOTM example that I received. Gaps in the springs, and what appears to be over-ground handles and bolsters, buffed out and then given a matte finish... Also the main blade appears to have met a buffing wheel, giving it a wavy almost polished look.

So, while not a perfect example, I am sure it would make perfectly serviceable pocket knife. It will remain in my collection.
Curious why you wouldnt return it for a better example?

My Knife came super sharp - but with an edge grind that was pretty wavy and it had some blade wobble. I kind of expected it might not be perfect though. Strangely enough, I’ve had more run of the mill Buck knives be perfect (in my eyes) than special edition/SFOs. I mean, not by a huge margin or anything, but enough for me to notice. That’s a head scratcher for me, because they’re supposed to be special. I’m posting this here because I know Buck sees this forum and maybe word will get back to the folks on the line to take a little more care.
I might call the factory to order next time and ask that they attach a note to check for fit and finish before they send the knife. I do this when I buy a Case knife sight unseen and have had good results.
I like this knife. So I fixed the wobble and sharpened most of the wavy edge out - it’ll all be gone in time and with subsequent sharpening.
Now, it’s mine. It’s in my pocket today and I used it to fix one of my kid’s “vintage” Hot Wheels Cars this morning. I’m sure it’ll continue to cut stuff for a long time and be a joy to use now that it’s had a tune up.

View attachment 1650677
Thank you for the feedback. I will discuss with our shop.

My experience with these is close to Greasepiggy’s. I like the idea of these, but the sharpening is pretty bad, sharp, but very wavy or sloppy. I bought three and all are about the same in this respect. Some of the wavy edges are wide enough that it might be difficult to straighten out without removing a lot of metal.

Back