1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Serrations?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by antipaladin, Oct 13, 2018.

1. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    I use my serrated Spyderco Pacific Salt as my yard work knife. The serrations are extremely effective and the steel being rustproof makes cleaning up afterwards much easier. It's also a good size for that sort of thing. Have used it to cut through roots, roof shingles, and pretty much everything else. I find it easy to maintain on the sharpmaker.

BITEME and RickyBobby like this.
  2. AlphaDog86

AlphaDog86

Mar 30, 2015
    To me the main disadvantage is re-sharpening

3. omaha-beenglockin

omaha-beenglockin

Oct 22, 2005
    I have plain edged and combo edged knives-----the combo's get carried more---they're just more useful---for ME.

4. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Count me firmly on the "No serrations" side. I can sharpen a knife quite well and don't have any issues with any materials that some folks are saying are best cut with serrations. Cloth, rope, vines, and so on? Not an issue with a plain edge sharpened by someone who has even a passing familiarity with it.

Kbrasmodeler likes this.
  5. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    After sharpening Spyderco’s serrations on my Sharpmaker, I find they cut better than when new. This is because the points get slightly rounded over, which cuts down on them snagging in the cut. The trick is to sharpen by pushing as well as pulling past the corners of the rods. This gets both sides of each scallop sharp.

6. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2018
    I don't like serrations very much but I understand they are better suited for tactical, emergency or rescue knives, that might need to cut security belts, ropes and canvas. Serrated blades have better edge retention for these tasks, I think partial serration are there to help in that way, I don't see much uses to it in a EDC knife because most of the time I need clean cuts and need to whittle some other a plain edge works better for me in general uses.

7. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Disadvantage is they look weird in my opinion and are hard to sharpen. They also catch on things when you might not want them to. Just my mileage. I have 0 blades with serrations however I would choose full serrated over a partial serrated any day if it came to that.