Serrations?

A sharp plain edge will cut whatever a serrated edge knife will, and cleaner at that. With serrations, you have to saw back and forth to get through the material. A sharp plain edge can just push cut its way through.

Serrations have a place. Sometimes tough strapping is just easier to cut with serrations, like if you lose your mind when someone disagrees with you on the Internet and then end up strapped down for your own safety in an institution, it's much easier to hack your way free with a fully serrated blade. After you try cutting yourself free of a straight-jacket with a plain edge a few times you learn to appreciate the 'ole saw teeth.

;)

Ya know, this is a great point!! I wasn't considering some of the other possible use-cases! Bladeforums, the best place for knife knowledge on the Interweeeebz!

Ya know, this is a great point!! I wasn't considering some of the other possible use-cases! Bladeforums, the best place for knife knowledge on the Interweeeebz!

If you imagine someone you're arguing with on the Internet is shouting at you dressed like this (possibly because they only had a plain edge . . .), the Internet generally makes more sense all around, really:

maxresdefault.jpg

On my primary knife I prefer plain edge. However, this is where the Spyderco Dragonfly shines IMO. I can clip a fully serrated Dragonfly in my back pocket and never notice it until I want to use it. I must say that it has come in handy quite often, and I find it to add alot of utility to my EDC. It's hell on zip-ties amongst many other things as mentioned. Plus, another knife, so what's not to like about that ;)

There was a thread a few months back about a member who came upon a house on fire, and the homeowner's hose had been wrapped in duct tape for winter storage (IIRC). It just so happened by coincidence that the member happened to be carrying a SpyderEdge'd blade that day, and he partially attributed that to being able to cut through the tape quickly enough to help save this family's house.

A plain edge knife could cut through 20 layers of duct tape just fine...

I'll have to say not a fan of serrated edges.
Unless I am on or IN the water.

I keep most of my edges pretty sharp, and have no problem cutting fibrous material. But get that material wet and it take a serrated blade.

When I jetski I keep a Pacific salt spyderco on my life jacket. Its fully serrated. But I've never had the need to use it. (Gladly) I need another one as I misplaced it.

As for landscaping if I can't use a machete for vines I would use pruners. Designed for that purpose and good ones use good steel. My dad landscaped for many years and he used his pruners for literally everything. Opening bags of fertilizer, pruning small branches. Hell he could even peel an apple if he needed too. (Seen him do it after cleaning the blade)

I like em for zip ties and paracord. I like how they catch and rip the zipties, no sawing needed, in fact I rarely use more than the first serration.

I think they both have pros and cons.. it's a wash for me. I like that serrations usually can cut through tough things easier however they can shred, if they weren't so prone to snagging I'd give the edge to serrated.

blah blah blah. Go suck Qui ets dick. Your op in

No. I have a problem with douchebags like yourself who buy their little membership and feel need to belittle others. Where I come from you would end up hurt. I even tried to make peace and validate a few.points you made and your Narcissistic ass would not let it go. Another reason I like Serrated knives. Good for fucking up people in a self defense situation of course.

For someone complaining about the moderators doing their job, you seem to have an abysmal comprehension of the forums rules. Don't worry, one will be along shorty to lay down justice on the obvious offender.

For gardening, I love my salt 1 serrated but everything else I tend to go with a straight edge.

Back