Shallot Composite Blade Boutique Run

Very, very impressive. Not only is it nice to see the shallot beginning to flex it's muscles but this is, I believe a first. I know of no other production company doing this with composite blades. If I'm not mistaken, it is the first time ZDP has been brought in to the USA for production. Only very few custom makers have gotten small quantities in and worked with it.

The price is incredible for the performance class this knife will be in.

Once again Kershaw sets the bar higher. 5 years ago I couldn't have contemplated anybody pulling this off.

The future of Kershaw is sure looking good. The present? Well, We're fortunate to be living in the "good old days".

Good job again Thomas! Joe

Wow, I badly need one (maybe two... :)) :thumbup: Damn knifebug! :D

I love composite blades - so when will hit the street e.g. the CB R.A.M. ? :confused:

Very, very impressive. Not only is it nice to see the shallot beginning to flex it's muscles but this is, I believe a first. I know of no other production company doing this with composite blades. If I'm not mistaken, it is the first time ZDP has been brought in to the USA for production. Only very few custom makers have gotten small quantities in and worked with it.

The price is incredible for the performance class this knife will be in.

Once again Kershaw sets the bar higher. 5 years ago I couldn't have contemplated anybody pulling this off.

The future of Kershaw is sure looking good. The present? Well, We're fortunate to be living in the "good old days".

Good job again Thomas! Joe

wait. where was my ZDP cyclone made? and i don't have one but the ZDP leek?

What a knife! With a street price around 75 dollars this ought to be a perfect step up from my plain old Shallot! ;) :thumbup:

Thomas,,

I've been waiting for your post about the CB Shalott after seeing the first brazed samples weeks ago... It's so hard for me to keep my mouth SHUT.....

Great looking knife...

I just need another one marked PROTOTYPE for my collection..

Darrell

Here is my elementary Photoshop attempt:

2805163724_2bf03058ae_o.jpg

Hmmm...black G10 overlays...groovy-ish...looks good!

Yea, both ZDP Leeks and Mini Cyclones were done up here in Oregon. This of course will be the first CB ZDP blade.

Is this a great company or what? Light years ahead of the competition! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Man, this knife looks totally amazing, I've been waiting for it to come out ever since I joined these forums, and it seems like it'll be totally worth the wait! Absolutely superlative! Looks really great with the black handle, too! By the way, is there a thread anywhere that explains about the various steels? Everybody seems to be really excited about the ZDP and I have to admit I don't really know what it is... :p Also, since this will be my first knife, I don't really have any "favorite cutlery outlets" yet, can anyone suggest a good place in the NY area or is that not allowed?

I'm so excited!! This is gonna be the best birthday present ever, thanks Kershaw!

No one really knows a lot about ZDP that I'm aware of. The only numbers I have seen in print are 3% carbon and 20% chromium. It's made by Hitachi, and prior to Kershaw entering the picture, not too many makers actually had the opportunity to export it. Spyderco had some models done up in it, but I think they were made overseas. Most of those that did get to play with it here in the US were custom manufacturers.

As for how it performs, I haven't found anything yet that will hold an edge as long as ZDP will. It is truly amazing!

Sorry guys, I thought the ZDP was processed overseas on the Leek and Cyclone. Sorry for the wrong info.

BTW, Benchmade lists ZDP as having 1.3% moly, 1.5% Tungsten, and .10% vanadium in addition to the 3% carbon, 20% chrome. It sounds plausible to me. The elements are known to be in there according to company information, they just didn't say how much of those elements was present. It's pretty obvious it's not a super high vanadium steel like S90V. You can tell when sharpening, and by the edges it takes.

Can't wait to get this Shallot. Like the Leek, the possibilities are almost unlimited and I'm going to have to begin a collection of all them from the ground floor, something I didn't do with the leek unfortunately. Joe

Hmm . . . at the risk of resurrecting an old dead thread, this seems like the perfect candidate for a forum knife . . . I wonder how hard it would be to get 50 diverted and marked :)

As a side note, William Henry has also been using ZDP in it's knives for some time. I'm not sure about where they are manufactured, but I though that it was in Oregon.

Beautiful knife. Not that the other Kershaw composite blades aren't 'sharp' looking, but I think the Shallot is the best looking composite blade yet.

Are composite blades more or less expensive to produce compared to just using the premium steel for the entire blade?

That is, are the additionally manufacturing costs involved in producing a composite blade greater than the material savings from using less of the premium steel?

I realize it may depend on exactly which steel is chosen and that there are performance characteristics, beyond the incredible aesthetics, that make composite blades a real design innovation. However, if composite blades also reduce the retail price, then it's a win, win, win situation. Win number one is better performance, win number two is beautiful looks, and win number three is lower price.

Are composite blades all that or am I on the Kool-Aid?

OH HOT DAMN :eek:

Kershaw, the other knife companies called, they want you to stop taking all my money! :p

Beautiful knife. Not that the other Kershaw composite blades aren't 'sharp' looking, but I think the Shallot is the best looking composite blade yet.

Are composite blades more or less expensive to produce compared to just using the premium steel for the entire blade?

That is, are the additionally manufacturing costs involved in producing a composite blade greater than the material savings from using less of the premium steel?

I realize it may depend on exactly which steel is chosen and that there are performance characteristics, beyond the incredible aesthetics, that make composite blades a real design innovation. However, if composite blades also reduce the retail price, then it's a win, win, win situation. Win number one is better performance, win number two is beautiful looks, and win number three is lower price.

Are composite blades all that or am I on the Kool-Aid?

It sure seems like it is a win, win, win situation. If the manufacturing costs are higher, which they may will be, Kershaw is definately not passing it along in the MSRP as I think the composite blade models are a great value for the performance you are getting. Oh yeah they look really great also.

If it is Kool-Aid then I will gladly keep drinking this delicious flavor!

Back