Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

One of my favorite dealers sent me the next few sets of Art Knives. (His yearly sale had a 75% sales rate. Apparently my work did well.) He had multiple offers/buyers for these knives and each one of them was WAY expensive.

Stephen Olszewski: Grapes of Wrath folder
orig.jpg

The King: Buster Warenski. 11 people inquired about this knife. As they should.
orig.jpg

Funnily, of all I shot THIS folder blew me away. It just worked for me. Very historical in lines. Shapely band at the waist.
Props to Bob Weinstock, who rarely makes daggers.
orig.jpg

Portfolio shots next....

Jim

Here are a bunch of submissions that have ALL seen face time in other individual threads. I like to organize them here in one location. :D

Russ Andrews II, MS
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mike Craddock
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Steve Nuckels
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Charles Vestal
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ron Newton, MS
orig.jpg

While we're here, I'd like to share how I achieve the clarity in some of my shots. It's LITERALLY smoke and mirrors. I take great care to surround my subjects with reflective backlighting fill mirrors, and their positioning is crucial.

Here is the shot of the inset in the above knife. I cut out the area I need and paste it into the core image.

If you look closely you will see the little pouch included in this shot. After it was all done, I found it too overpowering.

The 'smoke' is Photoshop CS5 and 'puff' I erase it and replace/clone the background. It's all fair--if you can pull it off. ;)

orig.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

Jim

Thanks again, Coop. Interesting that you chose the Ron Newton bowie to elaborate technique. Even before I scrolled down to see the explanation, I thought it was one of the best composed knife photographs I'd ever seen, showing how the takedown butt works in such a beautiful and efficient manor. Technique aside, your artistic vision is superb!

Alas, it's drudgery working under a slave boss in my home studio. He's relentlessly picky. I was required to shoot a pair of knives in one shot with multiple insets.

(I don't like to brag, but when it comes to this constraint, I'm pretty good :D This was three shots merged.)

orig.jpg

I'm Quincy the Art Director at SharpByCoop Photography, and I approve this shot.. ;)
orig.jpg

I bury myself in my studio Knife photography, but I'm capable of more. I only wish I had more time to explore.

Watches. I have shown a few in the past. Here's my latest score, and it AIN'T subtle:

orig.jpg

I posted this one in the Traditional Forum which was having a Give away photo contest. Incredibly cool entries. (When you have a long moment take a long look.) I asked not to be in the contest. Guest entry.

I spent ten mins on this shot. I had good fun in doing so. Canon S90 point & shoot, direct sunlight. This was my fave of about five captures.
I wanted to use it in context, but not too busy. Dock, line, knife, shadows, sunlight. Keep the tips clear of distractions. Lots of texture.
orig.jpg

Speaking of Docks and water, many of you may know I work as a coach and the 'boatman' (maintenance of ALL equipment at our Club). I find myself out on the water often, and especially early mornings. I row every other day myself. This particular morning I was coaching a women's quad and a double.

We travel out from our cozy boathouse up on the Norwalk River, and follow it about 3 miles out to Long Island Sound, where we turn around and head back. Our harbor has some small wildlife islands and shoals that keep the larger water fairly low. Out beyond those islands is a seven-mile distance to Long Island, NY. Too dim to see. This was an especially calm morning.

Check these out:
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

These women are also my very close friends. I'll row with them as well as coach them. (I get paid to make them listen to me! :p :thumbup:)

And so, a diversion from my usual fare. I am editing more, as I write.

Thanks.

Jim

Diversions with very good friends always help one
to keep on going.... :)

Coop, I like the photography set-up pictures you display
with some of the final illustrations. Looking carefully,
one can learn quite a lot from them!

And this picture is one great cool shot! No words are needed.

orig.jpg

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

Last edited:
Coop, I really hope you don't mind me posting this in your thread but its so funny I had to give it a shot. Your picture totally reminds me of this from a few years ago...

IMG_2288-2.jpg

^^^ LOL! Cat Photobomb! That's just great!

David, thanks. :)

Coop

I've been chock-a-block filled up with work from BOTH my jobs lately. That said, here are a series of shots from this past month that REALLY are deserving of viewing time.

I challenge you to scroll through slowly and admire all the details. Please come BACK and comment on what works for you.

Mike Craddock's work is impressive by ANY standard:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Anders Hogstrom has pleased his client with this beauty. It came to me from Sweden, then straight to his collector. Nice whistle stop...
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Chad Nell tutored under Steve Johnson and John Young, and has since moved to Hawaii. These were on display at a gun show over this weekend.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Speaking of the Big Island, Keith Ouye is a consistent client and a noted friend. He ALWAYS includes a trinket gift for my son. He's a class act in every way.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

...and this one is captivating and different for him. Featuring 'Lightning Strike' CF scales.
orig.jpg

Stuart Mason from MA forged and built this keen hunter. That's a likeness of his deceased dog Max, 'Man's best friend' on the handle. This one has a deeper story and tribute:

With helpful support and guidance from Indian George and Gary Rua, this canister weld was made from 4600EC and 1084, nickle silver, and a thimble of ash from my dog Max (after he passed). Now I can spend the day in the woods with him again.
orig.jpg

Lastly I show you a tanto from a fresh maker, also from MA: Zachary Jonas. He is another prodigy from the college course metal workshop of Mastersmith JD Smith.
orig.jpg

(I worked on this today. This took 55 captures to come up with the three you see here. My work does NOT get easier. ;))

What a lot of great knives I've been gifted with displaying!

Comments appreciated.

Jim

Great stuff Coop! I really like what I have seen from Craddock thus far, these pieces included. And I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this Jonas fellow as well. That Hogstrom piece is awseome and I really dig the (carbon fiber?) Loveless-style pieces from Nell.

Roger

Very nice pics as always Coop, but I am truly blown away by that piece by Anders Hogstrom...you certainly have an amazing job!!! :D

^^^ Thank you guys.

My first impressions used to be disappointment when I'd spend time posting and displaying these pieces, and yet no one would comment...

I've now learned that a picture speaks Two Thousand words. Or thoughts.

In only five days time this thread grew by over 2000 views. It always grows. People check back often for their fix.

To you out there: I appreciate the silent majority (and the mods for allowing this for us). :thumbup:

Jim

Hi, Jim! In my opinion you are one of the best photographers in the world of knives!
Really like your work! Thank you very much, that you find the time and desire to share with us your passion!

With great respect, Anton

Last edited:
WOW I truly need to get my ass in gear and send you some knives to photogragh - your work IS incredible!
All of this last group were beautiful but Roger's Newton "takes the cake" for me - well done and congrats to everyone involved.

Thank you for taking the time to post these images, whether or not we take the time to post, I don't see how your work could not be appreciated.

^^^ Thank you guys.

My first impressions used to be disappointment when I'd spend time posting and displaying these pieces, and yet no one would comment...

In only five days time this thread grew by over 2000 views. It always grows. People check back often for their fix.

To you out there: I appreciate the silent majority (and the mods for allowing this for us). :thumbup:

Jim

I am one of the silent majority and this is as good of a time as any to extend a big "thanks" for posting examples of your work here!

generally not so silent, but always appreciative.

EXCEPTIONAL group of knives on this page (20) Coop. I like ALL of them especially the damascus Ouye folders, and the NY Special (I think) from Nell. VERY poignant story on the Stuart Mason knife.

As ALWAYS, much appreciation for posting Coop.

Peter

^^^ Thank you guys.

Jim

I really like your pics so much because they remind me of the crisp yet artistic way of displaying a knife you see in the custom knife books from the 80's and 90's...you have your own flair to other photographers but are approachable (be it to commission for pics, advice in photography or at a show). I hope we can meet at Blade one year, seeing all the knives you have I know you have a great incite to this specialized trade that a lot just never see.

Keep em coming! :D

Back