Sheath Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIZWIN

Platinum Member
Have you folks ever considered adding a sheath sub-forum to this wonderful site? I think you'd have plenty of interest.

Perhaps you could call it, "Leather and Kydex" or something like that. It would be a place for sheathmakers to swap shop talk, and sheath buyers to solicit information.

I 2nd that. I'm always looking for sheath sites and how to's via gugal. I just also bought some hide scraps that turned out to be useless due to chrome tanned and not vegi tanned.
Live and learn I suppose.

Have you folks ever considered adding a sheath sub-forum to this wonderful site? I think you'd have plenty of interest.

Perhaps you could call it, "Leather and Kydex" or something like that. It would be a place for sheathmakers to swap shop talk, and sheath buyers to solicit information.

Not a bad idea. Guys like Eric (aka Normark) at On Scene Tactical would be a huge benefit there.

Edited to add..... we also might be able to bring in companies like JRE Industries. Just a thought?????

I tried hard a couple of years ago to get one going. :( I would love to see one started, sheath threads get lost all over this huge site, would be nice to see them consolodated in one area.

The problem with a "sheath" forum is sustainable traffic. It's possible that a Kydex & Leather & Whatever style forum could work, but there aren't a lot of discussions going around that are sheath centric - and there aren't even that many aftermarket production sheaths out there. Custom sheaths are just that, custom on an individual basis.

I understand and I appreciate the response, Spark. Thank you once again for this wonderful forum.

Best,
Chuck Clark
Hampden, Maine

Huffing and bending keeps getting more and more popular. But if the traffic isn't there I guess it would be a waste of resources.

One interesting option would be to allow for a sheathmaker membership, in place of the knifemaker membership that sheathmakers now buy in order to do business here.

Maybe a couple of sheathmakers could get together and share the cost of a premium knifemakers membership and pay to have their own boards.

I like spaghetti, you throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

Sheathmakers get a Platinum Membership and that enables them to give themselves a custom user title, Sheathmaker or their business name or whatever they want.

As traffic grows I think it won't be too long before there's enough talk about sheaths to split it off into a separate forum -- maybe in a year.... For now, people talk about buying sheaths in General and in the brand forums, and talk about making their own in Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment and in Shop Talk.

A sheath forum may have merit. Unless it is a pocket knife most knives; fixed blades, large folders, neck knives and such need a sheath of some sort. Sheaths can be as important as the knive when it comes to draw, carry and comfort. A good sheath can make a big difference whether the knife is going to be carried and use, or lay around in drawer and forgotten.

I'd like to see one; but maybe it's because I have several sheath projects to do, and haven't researched the skills and materials I'll need yet.

If there was a sheath forum I would be on it all the time. It is a great idea.
DO IT!!!!

The best way to get a sheath forum is to show the traffic to justify it. But it's hard to develop that traffic when sheath questions are all over the place.

Gadgets & Gear would be a good place to post about sheaths, being gear for knives and other equipment we carry. Besides, it's not very busy anyway. Once we start seeing questions and answers there regularly, we'll also see sheathmakers find it worthwhile to post advice and tutorials -- which will encourage more traffic.

So for those who want a Sheath Forum, start now by encouraging questions in G&G, and when you see them elsewhere, ask the poster to take his question there.

We are currently discussing sheaths in General Blade Discussion! Please do not try to move that discussion to another forum, especially not Gadgets & Gear which is for stuff other than knives.

I've been seeing a lot of posts about sheaths in General Blade Discussion. Maybe we're getting to the point where it could make sense to split that off into a new forum.

Its amazing how fast a post can vanish off the first page in the general forum. I get PM's from my customers telling me about a question that a member has that I can answer and it takes some serious looking. Between shop talk, general, tinkering and embelishment, and the various manufacture's us sheathmakers have our work cut out for us.

I do enjoy helping out a new crafter, but sometimes its difficult to follow them around. Its more for the new crafters than it is for the pro's to show off, it would be nice if they had a place to ask questions and get feedback. :)

I'm excited to see this being discussed again! Sweet! :D

I'm all for it. Even a sub-category would be better than trying to find all the various threads. I've had several knife makers ask me to make sheathes for them after posting some of my work, so there's clearly a need.

Its amazing how fast a post can vanish off the first page in the general forum. I get PM's from my customers telling me about a question that a member has that I can answer and it takes some serious looking. Between shop talk, general, tinkering and embelishment, and the various manufacture's us sheathmakers have our work cut out for us.

I do enjoy helping out a new crafter, but sometimes its difficult to follow them around. Its more for the new crafters than it is for the pro's to show off, it would be nice if they had a place to ask questions and get feedback. :)

I'm excited to see this being discussed again! Sweet! :D

I think Dwayne hit the nail right on the head. :D

I for one would really like to see a sub forum dedicated to sheaths. I know of three different knife forums that have sheath sub forums and they mostly serve the purpose Dwayne outlined. They get a decent amount to traffic. Since Blade Fourms has a larger membership than these other forums I think a sheath subforum would do well.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Nick

Spark, now you're back from SHOT, I think it's time to set up a Sheath Forum. We're getting posts about sheaths every day in General Blade Discussion, so a Sheath Forum will be viable. :thumbup:

I would like to see a Sheath Forum. I'm always looking for info on new sheaths, old sheaths, kydex and nylon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back