Sheath Forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I'm Scott, new to the forum. I'm into sheaths. I think sheaths would be a great idea. I'm always looking for discussion about them and it's almost impossible to find info on sheaths leather or kydex for anyone. So I'm in!!

I'm fairly new here but I notice sheath questions coming up all the time. I think a sheath for um is a great Idea!

We've known that for a long time. Pull yourself together now, it's going to get interesting around here soon, I hope. :)

:p

anyways, smartaleck, ;)

Heres some random ideas for some topics:

Factory sheaths: modifications, repairs, general fussing and discussing.

Home Made: Do it yourself.....

Custom: Rants about custom makers long wait times :eek: and "tips from the pro's" and a "lookie what I did" and an Aw Crap how do I fix this? How not to cook a sheath in the microwave..... :p

Hows about tutorial threads? How to's on basics, stitching, kydex bending and riveting, etc etc

Historical recreation sheaths and scabbards. How to re create historical stuff, restore historical stuff, and general studies on old sheaths and scabbards.

Sheaths and scabbards, materials! Wood, plastic, leather, cloth, fiberglass, metal, duct tape......

More to come as I get more ideas on how encompassing this can get, its actually rather broad. More so than I had first thought.

Personal Grooming I didnt know even existed here! :eek: I dont use em very often, last time a barber touched me was over a year ago. Yup, Cro Magnon Leatherbender! :D

... last time a barber touched me was over a year ago. Yup, Cro Magnon Leatherbender! :D
Last time I went to a barber was in 1969. As anyone who's seen me can verify. Us Neanderthals think you Cro Magnons should go back where you came from! :p (Where DID you come from :confused: )

Here's another topic: how to take care of leather.

If the forum is created I would like to nominate leatherman to moderate it.....

leatherman a mod? dwayne? :eek:

GOD HELP US ALL!!!!!

actually, i would like a sheath forum as well, and i can barely make breakfast, much less a knife sheath.

and dwayne would make a fine moderator.

Last time I went to a barber was in 1969. As anyone who's seen me can verify. Us Neanderthals think you Cro Magnons should go back where you came from! :p (Where DID you come from :confused: )

Here's another topic: how to take care of leather.

DOH! Leather Care! Imadoofus. :eek:

Why suddenly am I getting visions of 2001 the movie intro...... :cool: I want YOUR puddle of water!!! :p

San Antonio isn't the driest part of Texas but Pompton Plains floods. You can have all the puddles you need from here, come and get them. :)

I don't know much about leather care but I had gotten a wallet that picked up a scratch that wasn't disappearing no matter how i tried to fix it. So I used alcohol to strip it, which turned out to be some plasticky coating, then waxed it.

I would be delighted to hear about a better way in the future! (Even us cavemen are willing to innovate, ever since Og invented fire/got hit by lightning.)

2001-ape-bones.jpg

The Busse forum sees a lot of sheath threads regarding custom work, do-it-yourself, and production sheaths. Busses don't come with sheaths, of course.

I'd love to see such a forum. One goal this summer, for me, is to bend my first kydex sheath and stitch my first leather one. While I love Dwayne's work, I want to get into making a few sheaths for myself now and then.

San Antonio isn't the driest part of Texas but Pompton Plains floods. You can have all the puddles you need from here, come and get them. :)

I don't know much about leather care but I had gotten a wallet that picked up a scratch that wasn't disappearing no matter how i tried to fix it. So I used alcohol to strip it, which turned out to be some plasticky coating, then waxed it.

I would be delighted to hear about a better way in the future! (Even us cavemen are willing to innovate, ever since Og invented fire/got hit by lightning.)

2001-ape-bones.jpg

Sometimes alcohol will cause more problems than it will fix, I've seen some of those European leathers just go to goo. You probably encountered a laquer there, which shows scratches, but is one of the best and least used leather sealers. I use laquer to harden leather for medieval armor, it really soaks in and stays flexible. Plus it will coat over well oiled leathers without peeling off later. What you did was really good by the way, I much prefer a wax finish over any laquer and other water based sealers, they seal up the pores and cause premature drying and doesnt allow for conditioners to soak in.

Now, whered you find that pic!!?? I knew someday that my drunken tirades back in college would come back to haunt me. :eek:

I guess I''l chime in again. :D

I would really enjoy having a subforum dedicated to sheaths and I second the motion for Dwayne being MOD.

There are actually quite a few talented sheath makers, using all sorts of materials, who frequent Bladeforums.

Regards,

Nick

I also would like to see a sheath sub-forum. When I was learning to make sheaths I would visit KFC sub-forum on sheaths. Learned a lot!! Plus some incredible pictures of some of the very finest one-off sheaths!

Ken Erickson

I'd like to chime in and give my "+1" for a sheath forum. It seems like a lot of guys are making thier own sheaths, and it would be nice for them to have a place to hang out and discuss.

And I agree with Leatherman being an obvious, good choice for moderator.

The company I work for is going out of business in about 2 weeks. Then I go on unemployment and this fall back to school. One of the things I'll do to keep busy before a new student job opens up and classes start in August is some Leather working. So yeah, I'm still all for a leather forum.

If this doesn't happen, I guess I could ask for help in Gadgets and Gear or the Cantina. But still a sheath forum here would be nice.

Heber

You've got all the luck with your employers Heber, best of luck with that. Good to see you get back in the craft though. :)

Looks like we've got a lot of support for this! :D

The real support is coming up when the forum gets going. People all over the forums ask about sheaths. Once they find a one stop shopping experience here, we'll have half the Busse forum to begin with. :)

I think the biggest benefit is that you guys are going to be encouraging a lot of competition and developing the next generation of really good sheathmakers.

Plus some incredible pictures of some of the very finest one-off sheaths!
I know it's way to soon to think we need a "Sheath Gallery" but it wouldn't be a bad idea from the start to have a "sheath pictures only" thread which wouldn't even need to be stickied because all the new pics would bttt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back