Sheffield made Tackler knives

I am considering ordering a Wright's Tackler, I would like to compare it to some of the versions made by earlier Sheffield firms. Please post some photos of Tackler pattern knives, if you have them. Also, how is Wright's QC currently? I know from reading earlier posts here that they were pretty hit or miss a few years back, I am hoping they have improved since then. Thanks!

Last edited:
Wright's seem to have upped their QC judging from all the recent examples I've had. Not had any of their Tackler Knives though. Here's my Wheatley Brothers Tackler's Knife :thumbup:

Thanks! I am interested in the wharncliffe single blade with the slight swayback handle. The stout blade with the fine point married to a good sized haft looks like just the ticket for longer sessions of carving!

Thanks! I am interested in the wharncliffe single blade with the slight swayback handle. The stout blade with the fine point married to a good sized haft looks like just the ticket for longer sessions of carving!
I guy recently found a set of old ones in his moms attic or something, there's a post about them in the Bernard Levine's section.
Maybe you can contact him a possibility get a good deal as they have some rust to remove.

Is that me you mean? I'm not a guy lol... But that's my mum's knives that were found in her garage roof.
I guy recently found a set of old ones in his moms attic or something, there's a post about them in the Bernard Levine's section.
Maybe you can contact him a possibility get a good deal as they have some rust to remove.

I'm the 'guy' (girl actually) Hickory n steel is referring to re the knives found in the 'attic'... were in fact found in the garage roof cavity. Read my thread if interested to find out more about them :)

Is that me you mean? I'm not a guy lol... But that's my mum's knives that were found in her garage roof.

Yeah, and sorry that I thought you were a guy.
I figured since he was looking for an English made tacklers knife and that you're trying to sell some for your mom that I'd point him in your direction in case he might be interested.
I figured the rust on them seems to put them in more of a using condor versus a collector condition, and lots of people are more apt to use a knife that isn't minty and new.

I think the somewhat thicker handle of the Tackler would make a better tool for extended carving sessions. Ettricks would work well for fine detail, but the thinner handle would be more tiring.

Yeah, and sorry that I thought you were a guy.
I figured since he was looking for an English made tacklers knife and that you're trying to sell some for your mom that I'd point him in your direction in case he might be interested.
I figured the rust on them seems to put them in more of a using condor versus a collector condition, and lots of people are more apt to use a knife that isn't minty and new.

Patina is not a bad thing for a collectible knife H & S! And the unused condition of those knives makes them very collectible indeed!
But buff them all up and make them shiny, and I wouldn't give a nickel for them!

What exactly is a tackler and where does the name come from? Is it simply another name for the swayback or is there something else about it? Is it named for someone who makes fishing tackle? It appears to be a carving knife, so maybe someone who carves plugs and the like?

Poor old Bartleby, starts a thread about Tackler knives so as not to derail the Ettrick thread, and his thread immediately gets derailed by discussion about Ettrick knives :rolleyes:

Patina is not a bad thing for a collectible knife H & S! And the unused condition of those knives makes them very collectible indeed!
But buff them all up and make them shiny, and I wouldn't give a nickel for them!
I guess I didn't pay enough attention to that thread, and by the pictures figured they'd be something to take the rust off of and use as they would never come up mint anyways. I also thought they were the same as a tacklers knife, but I guess they're not.

Last edited:
Poor old Bartleby, starts a thread about Tackler knives so as not to derail the Ettrick thread, and his thread immediately gets derailed by discussion about Ettrick knives :rolleyes:
I thought that those were tacklers knives ? Is there any difference ?

Is this a wind up? I have never heard of a Tackler .what is that? Don't tell me there was a profession known as Tackling-
Heckling -yes heard of that. Not shouting out rude comments at shows but related to the weaving machinery job of picking up the scrap.

Whats tackling?

I thought that those were tacklers knives ? Is there any difference ?

We have at least one member with hands-on experience, but I'll try and explain shortly :thumbup:

Is this a wind up? I have never heard of a Tackler .what is that?

Wake up at the back of the class Mr Meako, and pay attention! Tackler's knives have been discussed here many times! :D

In the days of the old textile mills, Tacklers were like Fitters in factories. They kept the looms and all the other machinery running. Clearing a blockage, be it yarn or a weaver's shirt-sleeve, had to be done quickly and efficiently, so they were supplied with knives. Many feature the names of mills or textile companies on the blade. A straight-edged knife was probably the most efficient design, and Tackler's knives usually have what is known, in the US, as a Wharncliffe blade. However, some are shaped more like a rounded Sheepsfoot :thumbup:

This example was made by Wheatley Brothers of Sheffield, who made a lot of Tackler's knives. The background is an interior photo of Salt's Mill in Saltaire, once the largest fabric mill in Europe. The building still stands today, and I have posted exterior photos of it here before (and recently). I seem to recall Mr Meako contributing to one discussion about self-effacing mill-owner Sir Titus Salt in relation to Tackler's knives :confused:

Hope this is helpful. An Ettrick knife is something quite different, and they are discussed at length in the Ettrick thread :thumbup:

I think the somewhat thicker handle of the Tackler would make a better tool for extended carving sessions. Ettricks would work well for fine detail, but the thinner handle would be more tiring.
Agreed, hence my interest in the Tackler pattern. I have an Ettrick already, which carries well but the larger handle of the Tackler would make longer sessions of carving more comfortable.

We have at least one member with hands-on experience, but I'll try and explain shortly :thumbup:

Wake up at the back of the class Mr Meako, and pay attention! Tackler's knives have been discussed here many times! :D

In the days of the old textile mills, Tacklers were like Fitters in factories. They kept the looms and all the other machinery running. Clearing a blockage, be it yarn or a weaver's shirt-sleeve, had to be done quickly and efficiently, so they were supplied with knives. Many feature the names of mills or textile companies on the blade. A straight-edged knife was probably the most efficient design, and Tackler's knives usually have what is known, in the US, as a Wharncliffe blade. However, some are shaped more like a rounded Sheepsfoot :thumbup:

This example was made by Wheatley Brothers of Sheffield, who made a lot of Tackler's knives. The background is an interior photo of Salt's Mill in Saltaire, once the largest fabric mill in Europe. The building still stands today, and I have posted exterior photos of it here before (and recently). I seem to recall Mr Meako contributing to one discussion about self-effacing mill-owner Sir Titus Salt in relation to Tackler's knives :confused:

Hope this is helpful. An Ettrick knife is something quite different, and they are discussed at length in the Ettrick thread :thumbup:

Thank you for the history lesson, sir. For a moment I thought I had fallen asleep on the Porch and awoke in the Exchange, very odd. Thank you for refocusing the class, most kind.

Thank you for the history lesson, sir. For a moment I thought I had fallen asleep on the Porch and awoke in the Exchange, very odd. Thank you for refocusing the class, most kind.

You're very welcome, I'm sure others can add to it. Yes, I know what you mean, I've felt much the same over the past few days. Definitely something to be discouraged :thumbup:

Thanks JB. That is great info.
I think I might have a blockage in my mill that needs clearing because I honestly dont remember the term Tackling. I imagine then that the Tacklers knife would be more robust than its country cousin the Ettrick. A 12 year old Hecklers arm or hand would take a bit more cutting power than lambs cods:eek:. Children were good at heckling because their small hands could fit into small gaps to retrieve the cotton waste or wool.The machines were kept running :thumbdn:
I'll be in detention if anyone needs me

Back