Sheffield made Tackler knives

Thanks JB. That is great info.
I think I might have a blockage in my mill that needs clearing because I honestly dont remember the term Tackling. I imagine then that the Tacklers knife would be more robust than its country cousin the Ettrick. A 12 year old Hecklers arm or hand would take a bit more cutting power than lambs cods:eek:. Children were good at heckling because their small hands could fit into small gaps to retrieve the cotton waste or wool.The machines were kept running :thumbdn:
I'll be in detention if anyone needs me

They're completely different in-hand Meako. The Tackler is bigger, broader, straighter, and stronger. I'll try and take a side by side comparison pic tomorrow, but really the Ettrick is a completely different knife :thumbup:

Oh crap now I want a Tackler too. This porch is not a good place for me... Yet i keep coming back... Happily I might add.:)

They're completely different in-hand Meako. The Tackler is bigger, broader, straighter, and stronger. I'll try and take a side by side comparison pic tomorrow, but really the Ettrick is a completely different knife :thumbup:

The handle is more like that found on a larger Lambfoot, the blade more of a wharncliffe. While an Ettrick is really handy for carrying and quick jobs, the tackler would be for my purposes, a sitting and whittling knife.

I like this thread, Bartleby! A discussion of what makes a good carver is very enlightening!
For illustrative purposes, I scanned these three knives, which have some features of a tackler and/or of a whittling knife.

Tackler%20like%201_zpsdsddjwcm.jpg

Tackler%20like%202_zpsold5byl1.jpg

None of these is perfect of course. It seems the ideal knife would have the outline of the Stag knife, but with a thinner blade for more precise carving, a nice thick handle, but smoother, to avoid "hot" spots.
The top knife has a too-long blade, and a too-thin handle, but a good pattern IMO.
We all know way too much about the bottom knife!!:rolleyes:

We have at least one member with hands-on experience, but I'll try and explain shortly :thumbup:

Wake up at the back of the class Mr Meako, and pay attention! Tackler's knives have been discussed here many times! :D

In the days of the old textile mills, Tacklers were like Fitters in factories. They kept the looms and all the other machinery running. Clearing a blockage, be it yarn or a weaver's shirt-sleeve, had to be done quickly and efficiently, so they were supplied with knives. Many feature the names of mills or textile companies on the blade. A straight-edged knife was probably the most efficient design, and Tackler's knives usually have what is known, in the US, as a Wharncliffe blade. However, some are shaped more like a rounded Sheepsfoot :thumbup:

This example was made by Wheatley Brothers of Sheffield, who made a lot of Tackler's knives. The background is an interior photo of Salt's Mill in Saltaire, once the largest fabric mill in Europe. The building still stands today, and I have posted exterior photos of it here before (and recently). I seem to recall Mr Meako contributing to one discussion about self-effacing mill-owner Sir Titus Salt in relation to Tackler's knives :confused:

Hope this is helpful. An Ettrick knife is something quite different, and they are discussed at length in the Ettrick thread :thumbup:

Thank you Sir, that was educating.

Now I need one :D At list an ettrick, search is on.

Mike

There's some discussion of the Tackler pattern and provenance on this page in the Lambsfoot thread running from about post 532-540.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1406735-Guardians-of-The-Lambsfoot!/page27

Bartleby, I was recently lucky enough to be able to visit the Famous Sheffield Shop and select some A. Wright knives in person. One of them was a rosewood tackler IIRC. Unfortunately, I posted them ahead of me to Australia without taking any photos, but I'll be happy to post pics and a review here, when I get back home in mid February. I'm in Malacca in Malaysia at the moment and didn't really want to be lugging around a suitcaseful of knives. (Although I was shown a 60cm long, three hundred year old Kris this morning in a coffee shop and no one batted an eyelid while my friends and I examined it.:eek::))

I also acquired a stag handled Ettrick and a couple of Lambsfoots, so I'll post some more comparisons too. All of them are destined to be EDC users so I can gain an understanding of the merits and limitations of each pattern, and why they are designed as they are.

My personal feeling about the array of A. Wright knives I examined was that I would either want to select one in person, or be very specific to the vendor about what you require in terms of fit and finish.

There were quite a few patterns that I was interested in purchasing, but passed up because of unacceptable flaws. I'm by no means obsessive about 'perfect' f&f in a working knife, but the most common problems were gappy backspring to liner/scales fit, rough grinding, gritty walk and talk and way off centre blades.

Having said that, I was quite happy with the knives I got and am really looking forward to putting them to work when I get home. These are not 'perfect' collectors knives - when I asked the lady at the Famous Sheffield Shop what kind of people buy them, she said many of them are still bought by farmers and rural workers as tools and are intended to be used and priced as such.

Good to see you post Chin, have a great time in Malaysia my friend :thumbup:

There's some discussion of the Tackler pattern and provenance on this page in the Lambsfoot thread running from about post 532-540.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1406735-Guardians-of-The-Lambsfoot!/page27

Bartleby, I was recently lucky enough to be able to visit the Famous Sheffield Shop and select some A. Wright knives in person. One of them was a rosewood tackler IIRC. Unfortunately, I posted them ahead of me to Australia without taking any photos, but I'll be happy to post pics and a review here, when I get back home in mid February. I'm in Malacca in Malaysia at the moment and didn't really want to be lugging around a suitcaseful of knives. (Although I was shown a 60cm long, three hundred year old Kris this morning in a coffee shop and no one batted an eyelid while my friends and I examined it.:eek::))

I also acquired a stag handled Ettrick and a couple of Lambsfoots, so I'll post some more comparisons too. All of them are destined to be EDC users so I can gain an understanding of the merits and limitations of each pattern, and why they are designed as they are.

My personal feeling about the array of A. Wright knives I examined was that I would either want to select one in person, or be very specific to the vendor about what you require in terms of fit and finish.

There were quite a few patterns that I was interested in purchasing, but passed up because of unacceptable flaws. I'm by no means obsessive about 'perfect' f&f in a working knife, but the most common problems were gappy backspring to liner/scales fit, rough grinding, gritty walk and talk and way off centre blades.

Having said that, I was quite happy with the knives I got and am really looking forward to putting them to work when I get home. These are not 'perfect' collectors knives - when I asked the lady at the Famous Sheffield Shop what kind of people buy them, she said many of them are still bought by farmers and rural workers as tools and are intended to be used and priced as such.

I look forward to seeing these when they get in! I am also not super picky about things that can be fixed, but I have had a Wright's two blade (Bunny knife) that was insanely hard to open without losing a finger nail, and a Lambs foot that was so off center as to cut into the liner. Both were from 2009ish. Hopefully these issues have been sorted, and it will be worthwhile to give them another go.

I like this thread, Bartleby! A discussion of what makes a good carver is very enlightening!
For illustrative purposes, I scanned these three knives, which have some features of a tackler and/or of a whittling knife.

Tackler%20like%201_zpsdsddjwcm.jpg

Tackler%20like%202_zpsold5byl1.jpg

None of these is perfect of course. It seems the ideal knife would have the outline of the Stag knife, but with a thinner blade for more precise carving, a nice thick handle, but smoother, to avoid "hot" spots.
The top knife has a too-long blade, and a too-thin handle, but a good pattern IMO.
We all know way too much about the bottom knife!!:rolleyes:

Great observations, you speak with the wisdom born from experience. There is much to be said in carving for a handle that is swayback and a bit wide. The stag knife you illustrate here could be a little more rounded at the non-blade end (but I would never have the heart to modify such a nice bit of stag), then it would be very close to ideal.

I like the wharncliffe blade shape for carving as the narrow taper near the tip gives a lot of control, almost like having a pen or coping blade, while keeping things stout near the tang for rough work. I started carving with a stockman, then switched to a barlow, but find the secondary blade prevents the handle from being really comfortable for longer sessions. I guess this started me thinking of the tackler as a good single blade all round whittler. As you point out though, some of the spines start to get too thick, leading to the sides of the blade at times getting in the way of the work.

It seems like every "professionally" designed carving/whittling knife, whether fixed blade or folding, has a high handle-to-blade length ratio; in other words, long handle, short blade.
For certain carving tasks, a Tackler like the one that Jack shows us (a cool knife!!) would work well I am sure.

The original post asked for pics! Come on guys - cough 'em up!!:)
I don't have one, or I'd post it!

To fill the gap until a flood of Tackler pics show up,:rolleyes: here is a set conceived by Warren, to provide folding carving knives!
Warren%203_zpsdtuiglii.jpg

Warren%20Whittlers%202_zpsuibov739.jpg

Note the thinner short blades, and thick, long handles.

Ok here's a generic distributor pic of a Tackler until I get home and can photograph mine.

IMG_9099.JPG

"A tackler was a supervisor in a textile factory responsible for the working of a number of power looms and the weavers who operated them. The title derived from the job, which was to "tackle" any mechanical problems encountered with the looms in their charge. Invariably male, they had a reputation for gullibility and were the butt of many jokes." - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Ok here's a generic distributor pic of a Tackler until I get home and can photograph mine.

"A tackler was a supervisor in a textile factory responsible for the working of a number of power looms and the weavers who operated them. The title derived from the job, which was to "tackle" any mechanical problems encountered with the looms in their charge. Invariably male, they had a reputation for gullibility and were the butt of many jokes." - Wikipedia

Chin, this is the photo that got me to thinking that this is a very practical design! I am looking forward to seeing the one you have purchased, and hoping you will give it some pocket time and as you had mentioned a bit of a comparison/review. I have read several of your posts (thanks for the link BTW), good stuff! Thanks for taking the time during your travels (I always seem to have a time shortage when I am away from home), I hope the trip goes well.

Cambertree/Chin-Hello my friend! Haven't talked in a while. Looking forward to your pictures as well. The Tackler looks like a wonderful type of knife, and I imagine with the right kind of covers could be modified to suit individual preference for carving and holding long term. Great thread.
Thanks, Neal
PS- when I saw the title I thought it had something to do with fishing, as in "fishing tackle" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cambertree/Chin-Hello my friend! Haven't talked in a while. Looking forward to your pictures as well. The Tackler looks like a wonderful type of knife, and I imagine with the right kind of covers could be modified to suit individual preference for carving and holding long term. Great thread.
Thanks, Neal
PS- when I saw the title I thought it had something to do with fishing, as in "fishing tackle" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I could see how that would be a bit of an issue (also noticed a lot of fishing tackle stuff came up trying to research on-line). I have changed the title a little to "Sheffield made Tackler knives" to be more specific. Thanks!

Hey Neal, good to hear from you, mate. :thumbsup:

Bartleby, when Jack introduced the Tackler pattern to me, like you it was a pattern and blade-to-handle profile that immediately appealed to me.

I tend to refinish my working knives and nearly always thin out and refine the edges significantly before I use them, so minor cosmetic issues are of no concern. Factory edges are only a passing curiosity to me as I thoroughly enjoy the process of getting knives waaay sharper than how they arrive, and pushing the limits of edge keenness, so well heat treated carbon steel suits me fine.

Mate, I don't want to veer too far off topic, but apropos Charlies comments, I thought I would share some unusual professional straight edged knives I came upon in my travels, here in George Town - part of the city of Penang in Malaysia.

These are professional Durian processing folding knives, made in Brazil.

woob8Ri.jpg

q0lkh9v.jpg

The Durian seller was very kind in showing me his knives and demonstrating them in use.

The thin profile was necessary for poking into the Durian before cutting it open: he would sniff the blade for ripeness and aroma before making some strategic cuts and splitting the fruit open.

The blade had no nail nick and is pinched open. He sharpens on a progression of 80, 800 and 1000 grit wet'n'dry sandpaper strips.

0KZSjz6.jpg

I was intent on studying his knives, but my Malaysian cousin - a 'watch guy' - noted that selling Durian is a prosperous business as he had a new, limited edition Rolex on his wrist!

BP6Nh5w.jpg

He favoured the timber handled blade for his work. I was told the Musang King species shown here, from the hills above Penang is the Rolls-Royce of Durians. It's an acquired taste: I am told all Malaysians whether Chinese, Indian or Malay love it. Apparently of foreigners, the French and Spanish are also connoisseurs. It was a fascinating and complex array of flavours, once you get over the powerful smell, which is nothing like the taste!

Last edited:
Now those photos are very interesting in terms of design and use of a traditional knife! I appreciate your sharing the photos. Perhaps not Sheffield Tacklers, but ticks most of the boxes for one none the less! Thanks!

Ok, this is the A. Wright and Sons Rosewood Tackler knife I had waiting for me in some parcels of 'sharp and pointy treasure', when I arrived home.

sle2sMO.jpg

This post will pretty much just be my first impressions, as it will take me a little while to work through all the knives I intend to use, and get them sharpened up and smoothed out, ready for pocket carry.

gTZNAdz.jpg

xO7WVEG.jpg

The rosewood covers are nicely contoured and thick enough to feel hand filling and comfortable in extended use - a quality lacking in some single bladed traditional knives. The fit and finish is quite ok for its intended market as a working knife. The blade is a little off centre, but not rubbing the liner scales. The backspring is a teensy bit proud when closed, and some of the pins could use a little bit of fine sanding to give that smooth seamless transition feel to the fingertips. Nothing major. The edge will need to be thinned out and made quite a bit more acute, but that's fine too.

The pull is pretty stout with a firm snap - maybe an 8 smoothing down to a 7 with some lube and working open and shut - no need to worry about this blade unintentionally folding up on you if you use it right. When I got it, I wouldn't say it was pinchable, but after some Tuf-glide was applied, I could just pinch it open.

The angle of the scallops on the tip of the bolsters facilitate an easy pinch grip, with thumb and forefinger on each side of the blade - which is the grip I tend to use for food prep.

TH1G2pw.jpg

The frame appears to be the same as the A. Wright medium Lambsfoot, the blade width is fairly similar too. I like the lines on this pattern, they kind of have an harmonious flow to them, from handle to blade transition and down to the wharncliffe style point.

w3IgFNP.jpg

If we take the main point of difference between A. Wright's Tackler and Lambsfoot to be the blade tip, how could we expect them to be different in use?

prJX9Mn.jpg

When held with your forefinger extended out along the spine of the blade for fine tip work, the Tackler allows a greater degree of visual indexing, in that the point extends further out and is finer to control. I can imagine the virtue of this design in being used to poke into a specific place between threads on a loom and either nudge them aside, or make a precise cut.

TqfrwZ9.jpg

The Lambsfoot, on the other hand has a very clever design for general use, in that your forefinger tends to rest on the top of where the end of the blade is 'clipped off' on a downward angle. If you hold the blade in this way and look at it side on, you can see that the arc of your finger flows continuously down to the point for maximum power transfer when piercing, or cutting material on a table, or opening boxes, for example.

I do not know which blade point would be stronger, but in theory, all other things being equal, I would guess the Lambsfoot would just nudge out the Tackler.

As to how these blades will fare in practical day to day use, I will have to report back on that in a few weeks.

bdjWMMz.jpg

In summary, I like this Tackler very much. It is comfortable in hand - I expect it to be easier to open in time as I get used to it, and it wears in a little. It has a stout, workmanlike feel to it, while still evoking those generations of wisdom and experience in cutting tool design that you would expect from a Sheffield knife pattern.

Here is another comparison photo with some other A. Wright knives I will carry and use this year, and a GEC 77 as a reference point.

RwrvpWQ.jpg

And next to the GEC Northfield 77 Barlow.

yPxs9x7.jpg

Last edited:
Back