Shot show 2018, new spyderco knives!

Guilty! It's been a fun ride so far, and it's been interesting reading people's reactions on the SHOT Show threads. Better than I expected, given that I'm just a random guy who likes knives haha.

That is seriously awesome man! Dreams do come true lol! Very happy for you, but even more happy for myself, because I am more excited for the Amalgam than I have been for a blade in quite awhile. Seems like you have some skills in the folding knife department so I hope to see some more out of you. Any hints on when it might be available for purchase?

Guilty! It's been a fun ride so far, and it's been interesting reading people's reactions on the SHOT Show threads. Better than I expected, given that I'm just a random guy who likes knives haha.

Nice design. How many years ago did you submit it to Spyderco and when did they tell you they were developing it?

That's great! Not for nothing, I'm also one of those guys looking forward to the Amalgam. Well done.

Thanks for the compliments!

jstn, unfortunately I know about as much as everyone else regarding availability. I just dabble at playing knife designer, the logistics and business aspects are best left to those who are vastly more qualified than me.

AF, I submitted the design that eventually evolved into the Amalgam a few years ago. The timeline for me has pretty much followed what was outlined by Daywalker on the Spyderco forums. The folks at Spyderco are incredibly busy, so I expected the wait and am incredibly appreciative of the time and effort on their part to realize the design as an actual production model.

Last edited:
GundaManiac,thanks for this design,Sal & Eric can count me in for a Amalgam too!when i saw the vid i fell in love for this knife,you did a nice job.

Many of the designs that interest me are not lefty friendly. I hope they do lefty sprints of the Mantra 3, Brouwer, and Amalgam. For frame locks I don't care but when there's no Spyderhole access like on the Techno and Brouwer I don't even consider purchasing them. Having used the lefty PM2 I know I don't like the right handed compression lock.

Haven’t seen much discussion of the Respect on BF. It’s not shown in the knife center video, but is featured in other Shot videos. I’m looking forward to it, but would have preferred a more contoured handle without the screws.

Haven’t seen much discussion of the Respect on BF. It’s not shown in the knife center video, but is featured in other Shot videos. I’m looking forward to it, but would have preferred a more contoured handle without the screws.
Are you sure you're thinking of the Respect?
SPFB44GPn.jpg

The Bowie’s aren’t my thing but looked well made. The multi tool also isn’t my thing but seemed well done. The rest, well I’m going to be broke this year. I thought they nailed it with me with everything else. Time will tell what price points things fall in but I liked every update (Mantra) as well as the new releases. Can’t wait for that smaller gentleman’s folder. That looks like a knife that work associates can see and not lose their mind in panic over. Between Spyderco and kershaw, my production knife budget is going to be shot quickly.

Welp. I'll be buying a techno 2. Loved the proto at the oregon show. Bought a standard techno in the interim and love it.

SOLD!

I'm really liking the Brouwer. It reminds me a lot of a Small Sebenza, but done with Spyderco sensibilities. I'll probably get one as-is, but I bet a full-Ti one would be even cooler.
Full Ti and CPM-M4 and I’ll buy 2. In the current S30V it’s just an almost for me.

I like the Mantra 3 design idea, count me as one of those who didn’t buy a 1 bc I dislike both M4 and all Ti handles.

Also, the original bearing design was not good, my sliverax had horrible flipping action.

I wonder if the carribean is ever coming?

The ergonomics of the Techno 1 made no sense to me. I had no idea where to hold it, nowhere felt right. It looks like they've fixed that with the 2. I think I will try it out.

The ergonomics of the Techno 1 made no sense to me. I had no idea where to hold it, nowhere felt right. It looks like they've fixed that with the 2. I think I will try it out.
Yeah I'm with you on that. When the techno came out I was so exited, it looks great. But once I got it in my hand I didn't know where to hold the thing.

Any idea when the new rassenti might hit the shelves and what the price is going to be?

I’m on the fence about the color of the scales on the Caribbean. Not sure if I like them. Fortunately, I live just outside of Pittsburgh so it could ride in my pocket every Sunday.

Back