Shot show 2018, new spyderco knives!

Wow, Spyderco is killing it. The new Rassenti addresses all of the issues I heard complaints about. Lockbar insert, taller grind, satin finish and improved bearing assembly. I'm sure it'll cost a fortune though.
Mantra 3 looks great too.
It seems Spyderco really listens to their customers needs and wants. That, and Sal's presence here on the forums, carries a lot of weight for me when it comes to spending my money.

The Rassenti looks fantastic, it addresses the few complaints I have about the Nirvana (having it reground assuaged them significantly). I'm pleasantly surprised to see that they didn't make it smaller than the Nirvana (at least it appeared similar to me), which is true to the design, but probably less popular with the current trends in the knife community.

The price on it is definitely going to give some people a heart attack when they see it. I'm guessing near $500?

Reactions: Mo2
Oh man, so much great stuff! I love the Respect, but just a few weeks ago I was saying how great a guardless bowie would be, and now there is one!

Reactions: Mo2
The price on it is definitely going to give some people a heart attack when they see it. I'm guessing near $500?

Well, Eric did go out of his way to say they got rid of stuff like the bead blast finish and carving on the handle which were expensive to manufacture. Of course, he also mentioned the tapered handle and steel lock insert, which add cost. That, and their across-the-board price increase, should leave the Paysan at roughly the same range as the Nirvana. I'd agree with under $500.

They do need to be careful with the prices, though, as used Rassenti customs are falling under $1,000 fairly often these days. At some point they'll be directly competing with his original work.

Just wondering what you guys think about the Mantra 3 in the $190 price range? For me its a tough call I really like the Mantra 1 and the 3 does look badass but for ~3" folders I already have 2 Para 3s, 3 Delicas, Mantra 1, Native 5 S90V, as well as small Sebenza, mini grip and a few sweet ass Emersons. Think I'll wait to see what people say about it when it comes out but seems like a lot of $$$. Is it just me?
It's not about what you have it's about what you want:cool::D

The Mantra 3 looks great, I'm happy to hear spyderco got bigger balls.:thumbsup:

Well, Eric did go out of his way to say they got rid of stuff like the bead blast finish and carving on the handle which were expensive to manufacture. Of course, he also mentioned the tapered handle and steel lock insert, which add cost. That, and their across-the-board price increase, should leave the Paysan at roughly the same range as the Nirvana. I'd agree with under $500.

They do need to be careful with the prices, though, as used Rassenti customs are falling under $1,000 fairly often these days. At some point they'll be directly competing with his original work.

Plus it's integral construction, which I think was the biggest expense driver for the Nirvana in the first place.

I really like the new models, and dig quite a few of the new designer collabs, especially the Jerry Brouwer design for EDC, and it being a simple G10/Framelock setup. However, I know alot of people really like the Spyderco flippers, and while they introduced a few new ones, I feel like it takes away from their trademark spydie hole if you open the knife by other means. Not knocking them one bit, but just stating I prefer the thumb hole method and just find a spyderco flipper to be odd in general.

Plus it's integral construction, which I think was the biggest expense driver for the Nirvana in the first place.
I think post iraq/afghan Ti pricing is the biggest expense.
Someone on the Spyderco forum is saying S90V, based on carefully examining the BladeHQ video.
This is acceptable. While I would prefer a super elite knife from Spyderco to be in cru or max it is s90v that is the most performance weighted of the CPM stuff at the high price range, even though 20cv could be better performer. I will pay 500 for a full Ti handle and s90v.

I'm surprised no one is talking about the Shabaria. I'm definetly getting one as it is classic spidie japan (black g10 and vg10) and has a recurve. Sadly its not lockback.

EDIT: Does anyone care to guess the pricing on the respect? I'm thinking the vg10 schempp rock prices, 250ish. Yikes it's double that for simple 154.

Last edited:
I think post iraq/afghan Ti pricing is the biggest expense.

This is acceptable. While I would prefer a super elite knife from Spyderco to be in cru or max it is s90v that is the most performance weighted of the CPM stuff at the high price range, even though 20cv could be better performer. I will pay 500 for a full Ti handle and s90v.

EDIT: Does anyone care to guess the pricing on the respect? I'm thinking the vg10 schempp rock prices, 250ish.

Don't need to guess on the Respect, it's up for preorder in several places. $363.97. Distal taper, full flat grind, contoured micarta, and simple size probably the drivers.

I'm really liking the Brouwer. It reminds me a lot of a Small Sebenza, but done with Spyderco sensibilities. I'll probably get one as-is, but I bet a full-Ti one would be even cooler.

It's not about what you have it's about what you want:cool::D

The Mantra 3 looks great, I'm happy to hear spyderco got bigger balls.:thumbsup:
Preach it brother. The want is strong for the Mantra 3. I watched the second video and I think Insipid Moniker is right $140ish is much easier to justify for it. I'm looking forward to checking out the new flipping action. Cue Tom Petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

No question about it. Spyderco wins Shot Show.

I'm really liking the Brouwer. It reminds me a lot of a Small Sebenza, but done with Spyderco sensibilities.
^^^I agreed whole heartedly with this statement...at least until I got to the end of the video...

Oh my freaking heck! The Rassenti blew my mind. All other knives suddenly lost meaning (including the one that’s in the mail to me).

Slysz. Smock. Brouwer. Rassenti. After the lackluster 2018 catalogue Spyderco creams us with sucker punches They definately win.

I'll definitely be trying the rescue clip it tool. I can see getting a lot of use from that big hook. Hopefully it isn't so wide that it's uncomfortable in the pocket.

Cant wait for that Mantra 3. Dig the S30, CF G10 lam, comp lock and new price point. Depending on how expensive it is I have a feeling this one could kill the market. I hope they do sprint runs in it.

Even though I'm kinda tired of ti frame locks, I do like the looks of the Payson.

I wish there were some word on when some of these will drop. Especially the Amalgam. I haven't liked a knife quite so much as this one in a while. Just hope it wont be the end of 2018 when it drops.

Mantra 3, Techno 2, and Smock are on the radar for me. Paysan too, but probably can’t afford it.

Back