Shot show 2018, new spyderco knives!

I would be excited for all these knifes if the had m4 or m390 steel instead. I've been wanting a flipper/compression lock knife since the sliverax came out, but i don't want to pay 160 for s30v when I know they come out with a Sprint run eventually.

Definitely the Peter Rassenti's collaboration in form of the Spyderco Paysan is one to keep a keen eye on, although I'm not over buddy giddy on the blade profile as I viewed it but I'm sure that it can grow on me just like the Spydiechef's profile did (I prefer pointy tips, what can I say?!). That said, getting a Nirvana at discounted secondary market prices plus sending it in for a reprofile and also to get rid of the bead blast finish in favor of a satin finish would probably almost cost the same as this Spydie Paysan with all its new features and improvements. I'd rather give up on my penchant for pointy tips than mucking about with a Nirvana.

Last edited:
Anyone know the blade length on the amalgam?

Definitely the Peter Rassenti's collaboration in form of the Spyderco Paysan is one to keep a keen eye on, although I'm not over buddy on the blade profile as I viewed it but I'm sure that it can grow on me just like the Spydiechef's profile did (I prefer pointy tips, what can I say?!). That said, getting a Nirvana at discounted secondary market prices plus sending it in for a reprofile and also to get rid of the bead blast finish in favor of a satin finish would probably almost cost the same as this Spydie Paysan with all its new features and improvements. I'd rather give up on my penchant for pointy tips than mucking about with a Nirvana.

I agree. The new Paysan looks to be great. Do we know what the blade steel is? I do so wish the blade were pointy. But ah well.

I agree. The new Paysan looks to be great. Do we know what the blade steel is? I do so wish the blade were pointy. But ah well.

Upthread someone had mentioned that some folks with very keen eyes on the Spyderco Forum, scrutinized that video and had said that the steel is going to be in S90V. If so, I would most definitely be interested even if the price should borderline 5 Bill$. I have never owned any Spydies which use bearings as I'm still stuck in the washers era, but if the consensus and feedback on Spyderco's use of bearings is by and large very positive, I'd rather go for the Spydie Paysan as opposed to some form of CRK's insingo blade shape in that $500ish price range. Of course this is a Spydie subform and I'm a Spydie fan, hence my bias if my own $500 is on the line ;)

Upthread someone had mentioned that some folks with very keen eyes on the Spyderco Forum, scrutinized that video and had said that the steel is going to be in S90V. If so, I would most definitely be interested even if the price should borderline 5 Bill$. I have never owned any Spydies which use bearings as I'm still stuck in the washers era, but if the consensus and feedback on Spyderco's use of bearings is by and large very positive, I'd rather go for the Spydie Paysan as opposed to some form of CRK's insingo blade shape in that $500ish price range. Of course this is a Spydie subform and I'm a Spydie fan, hence my bias if my own $500 is on the line ;)

Keen eyes indeed. I shall keep mine open for this here Paysan beauty.

Man, the Mantra 3 though. That could shoot right up there with the PM2 for my second-tier (~$100-200) Spyderco recommendation for beginners to the brand.

The base is nice, but I bet we could get some great dealer exclusives and sprints.

I have been patiently waiting for that amalgam for 8 months! Having held it at blade show.. its got perfect ergos.. perfect flipping geometry (first ever from spyderco) and perfect everything really....

But this laminate CF has got to go... hate that stuff. It looks and feels so cheap and its on EVERYTHING! along with s30v /:

if i remember correctly, Condor is coming out with an Amalgam knife as well. popular name.

From what I saw, I like the Amalgam. Nice do anything knife. Excellent blade shape, thinner spine, flat ground down to zero bevel, should be a winner. I don't know the blade-steel yet, but hope it's something with a bit of class.

The Respect and the Jerry Brouwer knife really have my attention. The Respect’s sheath is a significant factor in its favor. As with all knives, I will want to put my hands on these knives before deciding. Perhaps, I can handle them at Blade Show 2018, “Good Lord willin’, and the creek don’t rise.” (I am not kidding; my last road trip to Blade, in 2016, was a battle against severe thunderstorms, that delayed our departure by a day and a half, and slowed us while en route.)

Love me some Techno and the Techno 2 is pretty awesome. It's on my short list for 2018.

Back