Should custom knifemakers act against hype?

Rosco
Anyone can get old posts. Just look them up.
I did it for you . I wanted to refresh your memory about The NY SHOW and you buying the knife off my table after looking at another knife first.

Im not trying to be a smart a** here but please dont make statments that come back to bite you .

Boonshank
Thank you for the profesional tone of your
post. I could only hope to have said it better. I hope the parts and the black blade have taken care of your needs.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-01-2000).]

Originally posted by Darrel Ralph:
Rosco
Anyone can get old posts. Just look them up.
I did it for you . I wanted torefresh your memory about The NY SHOW and you buying the knife after looking at another knife first.

Im not trying to be a smart a** here but please dont make statments that come back to bite you .

Boonshank
Thank you for the profesional tone of your
post. I could only hope to have said it better. I hope the parts and the black blade have taken care of your needs.

Richard Thank You said what I cannot say.

Senator thank you also.

Gene
Boonshanks post is about dealing with custom knives in general. Unless I missed the point.
Im tired its 4:17 good night.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

booshank,

I am not here to fight/flame anyone! I just want the truth, and I have a problem with anyone trolling for trouble (not referring to you)!!!! Believe me I am not scared of anyone or anything, and I assure you that I would be the first person to bash a custom maker if he was intentionally putting out crappy work just to make a few bucks... I understand custom knifemaker's (like everyone) have a bad hair day from time to time, but I cannot see them putting out junk knives! In the event that they do put out a knife that does not meet the customers standards I would bet $10,000 to $1.00 that they would do anything in their power to fix the problem... If not, well like I said earlier, they will be working on an assembly line in a few years!!!! They most assuredly would not have achieved what Darrel Ralph has...

And that's why I don't like clips.

Ahh, the joys of thread drift.

If this was a fight, they would have stopped it by now. Oh wait, they did.

And now for something completely different, a comment about Hype;

If you are aware of a falsehood being perpetuated by someone regarding your abilities or accomplishments you should act to refute these claims, even if they portray you in a positive light.

Honesty. Still the best Policy.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Yep Darrel, I completely agree, booshank has made excellent comments through out this discussion!!!! I, for one, would like to thank you (booshank) for being civil and polite!!! My gripe is not with you.... You appear to be a fine gentleman!!!

Good night all.... It's almost 5:00 A.M. and I have to take my 2 year old daughter to the zoo in a few hours
eek.gif
!!!

[This message has been edited by GeneL74 (edited 07-01-2000).]

JAMES
You are a man after my own heart. Yes clips sux for more than one reason.

Is there a difference IYHO between happy to have a knife and hype? When a customer receives a knife if what they say is the truth about how they feel is that hype?

Mr. Seguro

Honesty is the best policy in my humble opinion. Does anyone out there say that I have said anything dishonest ? If so, please let me know and I will will retract it. If not, you know what.......?

Rosco
I'm not sure about dishonest but I am sure that you can run your mouth quite a bit yet not say a damn thing. Sh%* or get off the pot Darryll says he will do what ever it takes to make your knife right yet not once in all your sniveling little posts do you take him up on it. Why rosco??? Why if you are not happy don't you jump and get the knife done??? Your pissing and moaning about the money and thats all your doing.Frankly I'm sick of you crying here, your not gonna do a damn thing to rectify this situation cause if you were like a normal person you would have acted months ago. You have the means to correct this huge slight in your mind yet you whine! Why???
Bob

Rosco:
IMHO You seem to be hiding behind "Newbie"
And an empty profile with NO email address.

If you were writing to a newspaper or just about anything else they would NOT print your
rant's...........GET REAL! GROW UP!

Regards, From another Newbie

How about we cut to the chase...

I'll buy the knife for whatever Roscoe actually paid for it, based on a receipt or other proof. (I'm a little troubled that the price seems to have wandered a bit here.) This assumes the knife is in near original condition with no obvious evidence of misuse or abuse. I will also pay postage and insurance to have the knife shipped.

Since, some of these posts have left me a little nervous about Roscoe's agenda, here's how I propose we handle this transaction. I suggest I send the money and Roscoe send the knife to an independent third party, known to forum members. (Gus would be a good choice if he will accept the responsibility). Once both the knife and the money are in the third party's hands and agreed to be in reasonable condition, said third part can send the money to Roscoe and the knife to me. Done deal, no complaints.

If that works, let me know.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com
The Tom & Jerry Show

Originally posted by Darrel Ralph:
Is there a difference IYHO between happy to have a knife and hype? When a customer receives a knife if what they say is the truth about how they feel is that hype?

The key to this question is the phrase In Your Humble Opinion. What we have to separate is statements of opinion from statements of fact. I believe that this is where factual comparative testing comes into play. I am very comfortable answering the question “What is your favorite lock” but will leave answering the question “What is the strongest lock” to Sal Glesser and his hydraulic vice.

As a caveat I seldom if ever use the phrase IMHO because I feel it is unnecessary. Almost all statements people make are opinions based on their experience, with the occasional hard and true fact thrown in to support these positions. And even facts are open to interpretation, so finding an absolute universal truth is almost impossible. What you usually find is what you believe to be the truth.

You should stand by what you believe.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

it's amazing how much trouble a troll can start with no facts. Darrel Ralph is one of the most talented,ethical, makers out there.
He will bend over backwards to please a customer. Roscoe, you know have an offer to dump the knife, take it or shut up.
Of course we have to wonder who you really are and what your agenda is.
BTW, $525 or whatever you paid, is not alot for a Ralph knife.

------------------
Dave (Phil.4:13)
I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me

Hey yall
I just figured out who Rosco is. He is my ex-wife. Gotta be---sounds just like her.

Jerry H-
I'll kick in a fourth of the price if you let me keep it on occasions. Always wanted a Darrel Ralph knife. With the dealings I have had with him he has been honest and upright. We could pass it back and forth kinda like a time share knife.

Once "Hype" is in print the only thing you can do is rebutt. However it is like the lawyer to the jury, it is already in their minds and it is hard to get it out. Best thing to do for my little shop is be honest and forthright.

I also use testers. I have been using the same ones for 14 years now for honest usage. I try to make a knife that will do what it is designed to do. Nothing more. I try to price
it so it still remains as good a value as possible.

Picked up some good funny's from this thread. I liked the "go into the defensive crouch". Yep, gotta be her.
fisk

What Cliff says. I'm a user. I value a maker that corrects an inaccurate flattery of the makers knife. I value a man that means just what he says. Often the way to judge a persons truthfulness shows best in small, unrelated matters. To illuminate by example if a person says this is their last post in a thread, and then they post eight more times I ask myself if that person is worthy of belief.

Reviewers should not accept knives from makers. That is a benefit. A reviewer should not accept benefits from the maker of the knife they are reviewing. That would create a conflict of interest. The maker is interested in obtaining a good review. The reviewer is interested in giving an accurate, unbiased review. Those two interests conflict. Reviewers should not be beholden to makers they are reviewing. One solution would be to create a repository of knives that would be donated by makers to be tested to destruction. Another solution would be to have reviewers purchase the knives they review.

But the most terrible flaw I find in the buyer/maker relationship is the delay. Let me propose a solution. If the maker is late the knife is free unless the buyer agrees otherwise. That would have the effect of giving the maker good cause to treat the buyer better than we are treated now. I hear one maker has a two year delay - but he has never been late. Mean what you say.

bug

[This message has been edited by bug (edited 07-01-2000).]

Cliff's topic asks:
"Should custom makers act against hype?"

Why? Is there too much hype out there? I don't think there is alot in the custom market. Certainly there is in the production world, but there is too much hype in the market of production anythings, let alone knives. Nothing really in need of any serious action.

Cliff asks:
"If you are a maker and you see someone promoting your product to levels that you know are not realistic do you have a responsibility to say something? "

An educated consumer already knows the capabilities of what he/she is purchasing with his/her money. An uneducated consumer doesn't need a maker acting out against hype, an uneducated consumer needs education before dumping a pile of cash on something based solely on hype. Otherwise that person is not a consumer; he is a "mark".

Suppose someone posts a review and says "I bought a Kit Carson Hunter, a Jerry Hossom Fighter, and a Darrel Ralph Gents Folder. All of them can be driven through a car hood."

Is it the responsibility of the maker to post a reply saying that wasn't really a good idea? I say no. Any educated consumer would have bought the hunter for hunting, the fighter for a defensive carry, and the gents folder because that Nomad2 was just too tempting to pass up, and "look at the gold filework on the top, dear, we can do without the phone this month and......"

But I digress. Leave custom makers alone. You want to go hunting, buy a custom "hunter". You want to bust bricks, buy a custom "brick bustin' bastid".

Custom makers don't need to act against hype. Custom buyers need to educate themselves as to what hype actually is.

Oh, and Jerry, I will kick in on Roscoe's knife too. Just let me carry it around for awhile. My first knife "timeshare", what a rush.

Very well said Velitrius.

I will be glad to kick in on the time share, if you guys want a forth. Let's see, Apogee D/A on the way to the house, a small auto and the biggest project I have ever worked with someone on so far. Met Darrel 4 or 5 years ago soon after that we started talking, drove the man in circles (he has not been the same since
smile.gif
until we (he mostly) came up with something we have had some fun with.

Don't think I am taking any chances here at all and I know that.

I have been lucky to meet people who care about what they are doing. They all have earned that type of trust. Several have posted in this thread. There are many, many more out there.

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

I have just traded for the apogee in question. I will post an honest, hypeless, non-abusive and fair evaluation of both my large apogee and the other one in the appropriate forum once I get a chance to use them side by side (a couple more weeks? I was originally just gonna do my large). Images will be included.
So please desist w/the name calling at least until you see the review (insert appropriate emoticon ie smily face).

end transmission

roscoe.....

after reading your lame posts i must give you the idiot award for all of 2000!

i cant believe you have the balls to complain after buying a knife at a show you actually inspected! jesus why the hell you buy it if you so g*ddamn unhappy over it? this shows me you have the iq of snot! DUH! are you a bit mentally challenged? you stop your medication?

Darrel has done everything in his power to fix the problem and make you happy and you just bitch more! i would ignore you at this point and not fix sh*t for you
biggrin.gif

please post address so i can send your dumbass of the year placard!

Back