Should custom knifemakers act against hype?

I must be lost or something is this actually Knifeforums circa 1998? or RecDot Knives circa earlier?
You don't have to agree w/someone or even like them but I don't recall Rosco overtly name calling anyone. Theres a point of principle that may seem trivial to some and important to others; turn the other cheek or expose the crack but please, we don't need to know.

Boonshank,
I think the point here is that Rosco was trying to escape the fact that he looked around the show and choose what to buy. He claims to be a newbie but says he has several factory knives also. He asked about the third hole in the clip at the show. I answered him with an honest answer that I believe.
To prove this I STILL USE TWO SCREWS IN THE CLIPS TODAY. All I do is modify the clip so the other hole is gone. I feel his complaint was not taken lightly at all by me.
I changed my way of doing business because of the vision that I might be a cheap bastid by not putting the third screw in. Did he break the clip... NO. It also makes the knife look better with the hole gone. He is the person that made me rethink this with his complaint. Thanks for the feedback Rosco. Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

So the function was fine as I told him it was. This thread has proved to me that when you speak your mind as so many have here the opinions are wide. It also says that some want there cake and eat it to.
I also want to thank you for making Rosco happy. Thanks to all that offered to buy the knife also.

If you want to know why some makers dont post on the forums this is the reason. They feel that some folks are not civil.

PS: I also have diclaimers about blade length s and the parts I use on my knives posted on the forums and my web page just for him also.

------------------
Web Site At www.darrelralph.com

[This message has been edited by Darrel Ralph (edited 07-02-2000).]

Darrel,

Maybe the best silver lining of this whole sordid exchange is how sterling you commitment to quality and customer satisfaction is. I cannot imagine a rational person who would hesitate to do business with you!

Steven

Ahhhhh!! The troll seems to be back under the bridge for the moment. 'Til the next time enjoy the world of knives.

biggrin.gif

------------------
old pete

Originally posted by roscoehound:
Old Pete,

For $525 don't you think I deserve to whine for awhile? That's alot of money even by Bill Gates standards. If a maker charges $525 pre-ordered or on the table and it is not finished, I believe that I have the right to complain. Sending it back involves shipping and time. Make it right the first time for $525.

If $525 ($525, $525, $525 - we get the point) is that much money to you, maybe you should be spending it on more "important" things than custom knives. It's not a lot of money, and Bill Gates would blow his nose into it. Maybe you should stick to the shallow end until you're ready to swim with the big fish...

And let's talk about that $525. Your $475 knife appreciated by $50 in just a few months? Looks like that knife is INVESTMENT QUALITY! Must be because a DDR knife owned by a dissatisfied customer is pretty friggin' rare!

Sending it back takes money and time. Yeah. Tell you what - have the nurse monitor your patient's EKG for a few minutes while you run to the post office with your lunch money, OK? Then you can get back to performing brain surgery, and after you've done a bunch of them, maybe you'll have another FIVE HUNDRED TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS to spend.

Yes, you deserve to whine. Every customer, for 10 cents, 10 dollars, or 10 thousand dollars has a right to complain about a purchase that doesn't fulfill their expectations. You deserve to whine until an earnest, appropriate effort is made to rectify your situation. After that, you're just being a self-important pain in the @ss.

BTW - I was one of those "more important" things Darrel was attending to in Atlanta. And rest assured, I was very well attended to. I'm heartbroken that I stood in the way of an overnight turn around. I'll probably miss some sleep tonight feeling bad about it.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

[This message has been edited by Brian_Turner (edited 07-03-2000).]

I learned a great new term today.

"Knife Sheriff"

Thanks DDR.

A.L

Who used to break knives for fun until he grew up.

------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

Back