Show me your Kephart blades !

Gossman Knives Kephart in A2 and Curly Maple.

Kephart-Full-Pile.jpg

Gossman Kephart-I have been seing this picture for years and it always gets my blood going, great shot.
-RB

Here's a pic of my Bark River Kephart and Bark River Kephart Companion

3456737280_9e131a5460_b.jpg

And my JK Kephart

3350399872_7209e2deca_b.jpg

great looking knives guys....:eek:

here's the 2 that i own...:)

the first one was made by Ray Laconico..

IMG_5275-1.jpg

the next was made by John of JK knives...

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

Great, so now I need to save for a Kephart.

Awesome bunch of knives guys!

Last edited:
Bear,
The blade is 4 3/4" long, 1/8" thick, O1 steel, 9 3/8" overall, canvas micarta scales.

Love your knife there Ray. I'd love to order one or two in a few months from now ( gotta save some dough ! )

Pete (Edmonton, Alberta)

Love your knife there Ray. I'd love to order one or two in a few months from now ( gotta save some dough ! )

Pete (Edmonton, Alberta)

You won't regret it. The pictures do not come close to showing the quality of the grind. Ray is a perfectionist, and his work shows it.

This is a great all around design. Even though mine are standard at a 5" blade, I really like this design in a 4" blade. Here are a few I've made.
Scott

kephart.jpg

kepharts.jpg

Here is one I just sold. I kept thinking about keeping it because the wood is SO nice but never did.
attachment.php

here is one that has not sold and I am thinking of using this one Denim Micarta handles and 3/16" steel

attachment.php

Doug

I just got the Camping and Woodcraft book Saturday, and the only knife pic I see is of what appears to be a Marbles Woodcraft. What section is the pic in? I have the edition published in the past five years.

No pics, but I do have a regular Kephart from Scott Gossman, and what he calls his mini Kephart, with a 4" blade. I am getting two more from him, a camp knife sized Kephart, and a neck knife sized Kephart. Also getting a 5" blade Kephart from J Neilson.

Camping and Woodcraft is a book I discovered by accident in a library when I was an apprentice 16 years ago. I consider it my number one go to resource book/bible for the outdoors. Everything in it is tried and true, and makes you realize how much useless crap outdoor shops are selling to people who don't know better.
As for the knife, (yours are all real good-looking), it's a foolproof design that was just as useful for HC, as it is in this day and age. Personally,I am sick of a lot of these gimmicky knives that are produced just to suck someone in, as opposed to a good,practical workhorse that someone can depend on to do a job. Really,really nice work from you good makers out there.

Pete

I just got the Camping and Woodcraft book Saturday, and the only knife pic I see is of what appears to be a Marbles Woodcraft. What section is the pic in? I have the edition published in the past five years.

No pics, but I do have a regular Kephart from Scott Gossman, and what he calls his mini Kephart, with a 4" blade. I am getting two more from him, a camp knife sized Kephart, and a neck knife sized Kephart. Also getting a 5" blade Kephart from J Neilson.

Before Kephart found that Marbles, he designed a knife. It was made by Colclesser Bros., here is a link to an original ad:

http://barkriverknives.com/albums/album369/Vintage_Ad.jpg

And here is a link to a pic of a well used original at the Hunter Library Kephart Collection:

http://wcudigitalcollection.cdmhost...OROOT=/p4008coll1&CISOPTR=25&CISOBOX=1&REC=15

John "Stomper" is the Kephart King in my book. Matt of ML knives also makes an outstanding Kephart, as does Ray Laconico.

Here are a few of mine....all are pocket versions. I have yet to get me a full sized one. I have used them and find that the kephart design is one of my favorite all around outdoor knife desgins. It is capable at handling just about anything you could throw at it.

Stephen Fowler (more of a bushcraft, but Kephart inspired)and an ML
DSC04707.jpg

JK "Stomper"
DSC03435.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

Back