Show us your Randalls

My friends mid fifties model 4

A07C792F-6FAD-4B48-974B-03B7CEF3D4AA_zps2gpirtcm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My friends mid fifties model 4

A07C792F-6FAD-4B48-974B-03B7CEF3D4AA_zps2gpirtcm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mid 60s would be closer due to the non-pinned stag handle, shallow choil, and Johnson Roughback sheath. Also, a mid 50s knife would have a Heiser sheath. Nice knife regardless.

Love that second 14 Coke, I want to pick one up just like it, and as far as Brend's go yes the model 2 is the one Brend I'd like to fondle. ;) Thanks for the pic of that beautiful 14. :thumbup:

Here's some more for you Mr nato. Very sexy no?

Sometimes I get to the point I lick it like its my woman mate... can't contain myself. lol:D

vx4yv.jpg

33waakw.jpg

x0o5yq.jpg

And here's Lucricia... well... she gets covered in tongue marks from tip to toe... wiped em off for the pics.:D

29wphc3.jpg

2say15j.jpg

Coke, I know exactly what you mean, I have a #1 mid to late 60's #1-8 that has drool marks all over it! d762nato I do read between the lines and know that you are suffering from the same sickness the rest of us are! Thank God knives are a bit cheaper than drugs!!!!! r.cordell

P1040941_zpspzbzq4bh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Was told this one is about 1972 vintage,same as one on page 107 of Mr Wickersham's awesome reference book,
except the keeper strap is on the other side.Is this a left handed sheath,or is this correct the way it is?

Last edited:
Probably left-handed, from that period. Thanks for your kind words. :)

I believe the sheath is correct the way it is.
Sure, you can believe that if you want, but...

Moore built 'em one way, with Canteen snaps, H.H. Heiser then did the same; Johnson initially used the Heiser sheathes as his guide and built 'em that way until switching to two brown buttons the following year; that's when he switched the keeper strap direction. That switch remained in place for the next twenty years, until the single hilt CDT #14 & #15 came along in the mid 1980's - Sullivan's moved the keeper strap back to the original location/direction when they started making the C model sheaths in the late 1980's.

Left and right handed C models sheaths were available through both Johnson (both Johnson's), and Sullivan's, but the keeper strap directions were reversed between the two makers. In other words, a left-handed Johnson C model sheath would be a right-handed Sullivan's, and vice versa, unless it was for a CDT, then the rules reverse if it's a single hilt knife. :thumbup:

Last edited:
That's for Model #15/15CDT/17/18-5.5 sheaths and Model #14/14CDT/18-7.5 sheaths and doesn't necessarily apply for Model #16 sheaths...

Thankyou very much for the info,very much appreciated.I was asked a while ago what my best/favorite Randall is that I own?My copy of you referance book,without a doubt!
coz knowledge is power! Here is another I picked up recently.Not 100% sure of the age,'77 to '86 ish?
P1040938_zpsh7oohsxb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Both are probably mid 80's (thin spacers, tightly stitched JRB sheaths) - classic RMK fighters. :cool:

(thanks for your kind words.)

A friend just gave me this model 3-6 with JRB. I am so excited as it is my first Randall. Does anyone have any further information on its age or other details of the knife? Thank you so much!

FullSizeRender%2035_zpsz0cavvpk.jpg

FullSizeRender%2036_zpsubvstixm.jpg

FullSizeRender%2038_zpsfwnispfn.jpg

FullSizeRender%2034_zpswl0hbuuh.jpg

FullSizeRender%2037_zpswfflezoe.jpg

IMG_2264_zpskqq5z7wl.jpg

Pretty cool gift and it has a rough back sheath so it is an older knife, congrats I'm sure someone will be along to help you out.

Welcome gth, beautiful knife, and agreed, a great gift. Yours is a late 1960's Randall Model #3 'Hunter' knife with a six inch blade. By the numbers: it has a Johnson Roughback sheath (JRB) with post 1963 'Baby Dot' snaps; with the knife having the pre 1972 Seven Spacer spacer stack - so, as a start, those are your bookends. Narrowing it down a bit, provided that it's original, and it looks to be, that type of sharpening stone was used primarily in the later half of the 1960's.

It most likely has a High-Carbon Swedish tool-steel blade, as stainless steel variants were marked with an S adjacent to the makers logo by 1963. The name etching and blade spine serrations were options, as was the nickel-silver hilt (guard), and based on the additional photos you sent, the wood handle material is most likely Ceylon Ebony, a popular RMK choice in the mid 1960's; I've had several Randall knives that were similar.

Going back to the blade for a minute; the choil, the area of removed steel in front of the hilt, is deeper that that seen on most mid 1960's RMK's, and more in line with the majority of RMK's made in the late 1960's. Based on the characteristics outlined above, chances are I'm fairly close on the age.

Beautiful knife, and again, welcome. I hope that helps. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thank you so much, Mr. Wickersham! You are a wealth of information and you are so kind to share it!

Welcome gth, beautiful knife, and agreed, a great gift. Yours is a late 1960's Randall Model #3 'Hunter' knife with a six inch blade. By the numbers: it has a Johnson Roughback sheath (JRB) with post 1963 'Baby Dot' snaps; with the knife having the pre 1972 Seven Spacer spacer stack - so, as a start, those are your bookends. Narrowing it down a bit, provided that it's original, and it looks to be, that type of sharpening stone was used primarily in the later half of the 1960's.

It most likely has a High-Carbon Swedish tool-steel blade, as stainless steel variants were marked with an S adjacent to the makers logo by 1963. The name etching and blade spine serrations were options, as was the nickel-silver hilt (guard), and based on the additional photos you sent, the wood handle material is most likely Ceylon Ebony, a popular RMK choice in the mid 1960's; I've had several Randall knives that were similar.

Going back to the blade for a minute; the choil, the area of removed steel in front of the hilt, is deeper that that seen on most mid 1960's RMK's, and more in line with the majority of RMK's made in the late 1960's. Based on the characteristics outlined above, chances are I'm fairly close on the age.

Beautiful knife, and again, welcome. I hope that helps. :thumbup:

Thank you so much, Mr. Wickersham! You are a wealth of information and you are so kind to share it.

Great trio of Model 5's. IMO that is the best all around knife RMK make.

Back