Show your Feathersticks

Thanks! Yours dont look so bad either! And beautiful knife!

Really? I always though feathersticks should be thin and long...
I confused!:confused::D

Well, as long as they light right?

I'm definitely not the expert... I just remember our lessons on a summer outdoors course with Mors Kochanski, and he kept trying to get as many turns in the curls as possible. That may have been more of a focus for him than others, however.

I think the finer and "curlier" they are, the more easily they ignite.

ontario pilot survival knife

airfuzz002.jpg

This is my own Maritime Machete, sort of a Kukri-ish type thing with a 11 inch cutting edge I made last year.

maritimemachete023.jpg

maritimemachete025.jpg

Hey Blue, that kukri-mod looks outstanding! What are the details of that baby? What kind of steel? How thick?

Guardian - Its actually not a modification, it was completely designed and built by yours truly last year.

The steel is 3/16 O1. The blade is 11" long and about 2 3/4 at its widest point. handle and scabbard are both Bubinga. The handle has ebony pins, the scabbard is fully leather lined and has an ebony welt and leather shoulder strap.

sgaindhub143.jpg

sgaindhub141.jpg

maritimemachete014.jpg

Last edited:
SOrry Blue, The "mod" I threw in there was me speaking in my own lingo, i meant custom. LOL

Beautiful knife...Perfect perfect.

Tested out the edge on my recently modded Condor Golok...

I'm really loving it now!:D

med_1266947381-DSCN3090.JPG

med_1266947425-DSCN3088.JPG

BTW, Candlelight001,

I would add that the amount of pressure and angle of the edge going in allows for either thin or thick curls...
Try with very little pressure at all, on a nice corner edge of wood, and work your way up with force, you'll very easily get a feel for it!
Also, watch for grain direction...

I'm super impressed with the number of curls you guys are getting on your feathersticks when carving with large, thick blades. That Pilot survival knife looks great too!

Hey, this one actually isn't mine, but I found it nuts ...

A guy from Bushcraft USA named crookedknife made this knife, and he posted a featherstick he made next to it. Pretty beastly if you ask me. :rolleyes:

attachment.php

Back