1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Show your HDFK!

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by 91bravo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    We made a ton of the HDFK. It was a great knife, I'm sure we'll revisit it.

ironwagon, jus_gus, vkp78 and 11 others like this.
  2. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    PXL_20201107_214153954_copy_1116x837.jpg

91bravo, ironwagon, jus_gus and 17 others like this.
  3. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
  4. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    How awesome in the HDFK with terotuf scales? I got standard buffed canvas micarta and AECM HDFK scales. The only one I'm missing is terotuf!

jus_gus, vkp78, Mike157 and 2 others like this.
  5. d762nato

d762nato Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Sounds great I'm going to have to move a blade or two I reckon, Thanks.

jus_gus, Mike157 and Odog27 like this.
  6. steelcitysixteen

steelcitysixteen Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2017
    In for a dozen! Err...or at least 2...maybe 3...possibly 4. An HDFK pre-order can't come soon enough..

jus_gus, vkp78, Mike157 and 5 others like this.
  7. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    [​IMG]

91bravo, ironwagon, jus_gus and 20 others like this.
  8. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Sick

9. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    Damn that’s old school. Can you still get mantles and all the rest of the parts you need to service it?

10. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    Our local hardware store has all the parts.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    jus_gus, vkp78, duramax and 9 others like this.
  11. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    I’m not sure about spare parts around here, but there are some spare mantles inside the box. :)

12. bluemax_1

Jan 17, 2014
    Talk about bringing back memories. I remember my dad using one to light up the living room during a power outage when I was a kid.

13. trevitrace

trevitrace Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2013
    :thumbsup:

We always used ours for tracking shot deer. Worked way better than those yellow 2D flashlights scattered around the cabin.

91bravo, jus_gus, duramax and 4 others like this.
  14. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    In my dreams I can hear the hissing roar if a Coleman lantern, and I can still recall trying to get the technique of untwisting the little plunger, pumping it up with my thumb over the hole, and twisting it closed again.

jus_gus, duramax, Hard Knocks and 4 others like this.
  15. bluemax_1

Jan 17, 2014
    Yep. The color temperature made spotting blood trails waaayyy easier. Noticed the same thing when all the new LED lights came out, the Coleman lanterns still made blood trails much easier to spot. (Nowadays, using LED flashlights with the Nichia emitters has improved things a lot in that regard).

jus_gus, vkp78, duramax and 4 others like this.
  16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I still use one of the old Coleman double mantle lanterns for lots of things.

91bravo, jus_gus, duramax and 5 others like this.
  17. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    I have one for that very purpose, the 219 IIRC. It’s actually not bad at all.

I haven’t tried the coloured emitters,
    blue for example.

bluemax_1, jus_gus, duramax and 4 others like this.
  18. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    I still run a Coleman lantern for putting around the shop during the winter here.

Light and heat source rolled in to one!

Not to mention I will be bias and say the threshold of manliness north of 49 (and south for those who have a say) is being able to run a Coleman stove and lantern.

bluemax_1, jus_gus, woodysone and 4 others like this.
  19. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
  20. JustinFournier

May 7, 2012
    Ummmmmm excuses me! We who care for like the polar bears and the environment and stuff like we only use organic solar powered lanterns now achtually!

And like.... Oh my gawd, did you just actually like gatekeeper gender like you totally did!! Like someone cancel him!!!

But honestly though, I have some D cell LED lanterns that are a fraction of the size and put out more light, right down to moonlight with no heat and are tent safe for the little kids now. No glass or mantles or seals to deal with. They are awesome. Not to mention some of them have had the same batteries in them for now 4 years and still run fine.

And we upgraded to a 2 burner camp chef propane stove for the Mrs. to have room for her cast iron and more fancy cooking, runs off a 20lbs propane tank, tank is still half full after the season and no shit I don’t even want to go back to white gas for anything.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020