1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Show your HDFK!

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by 91bravo, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    And we upgraded to a 2 burner camp chef propane stove for the Mrs. to have room for her cast iron and more fancy cooking, runs off a 20lbs propane tank, tank is still half full after the season and no shit I don’t even want to go back to white gas for anything.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to go back to white gas either, It smells and leaks. I use propane most of the time but the higher the altitude the longer it takes to boil water etc.

2. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    The nostalgia though!
    I would say the beauty of white gas is its efficiency and the benefit of being a secondary heat source in tents and the like.
    I can put a lantern in my tent (tarp/no floor style or else you may get carbon monoxide poisoning!) in the winter and it keeps the frost burned off throughout the night. Can get around 7-8 hours of burn time easy in the lanterns

3. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    I can see the advantages for the specific application you mentioned, but that ain’t anything I’m doing lol. Personally I prefer the heat and the light separate. Little buddy heater runs on the same propane tank as the stove!

bluemax_1, jus_gus, woodysone and 2 others like this.
  4. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    [​IMG]

Tall_Vol, Xr6x, 91bravo and 18 others like this.
  5. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Yep, I meant the Nichia 219 emitters.

Odog27, duramax and JustinFournier like this.
  6. bluemax_1

Jan 17, 2014
    I do have several LED lanterns for power outage and car camping use (not much of a car camper though. I prefer backpacking).

They DO put out a lot of light, and are definitely safer. No flames, no glass (heck, the Streamlight Siege and UST lanterns even float, if dropped in water). I also have the flat Energizer 8xAA lantern (great for directional flood illumination, vs being blinded if you accidentally look at a lantern). They all have their advantages and disadvantages, but none of the LED lanterns holds a candle to a Coleman lantern for color rendering (eg. blood trails).

I do recall, back in the dark(er) ages, having to be careful with power outage illumination. The Coleman lantern was generally either placed in the middle of the dinner table, or hung from the ceiling to avoid the chance of being knocked over (yes, I recall at least one, being broken from getting knocked over).

My parents also showed me the neat trick of using candles safely. They'd put a sealed can of tuna in one of those big old white enamel bowls, partially filled with water, and put the candle on the can. The white bowl and water reflected more light up towards the ceiling which made the meager light a little brighter, and if the candle fell over for any reason, it doused in the water in the bowl.

These days, the LED options make life a lot easier. Both the UST and Siege lanterns can be left ON constantly for weeks on their lowest settings. Handy night lights for power outages.

7. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    ^pretty cool trick to eek out a little more useful light.

8. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I love a sunny vacation;
    [​IMG]
    ...but I could do without the tan lines!
    [​IMG]

Xr6x, 91bravo, VashHash and 15 others like this.
  9. jiffum

jiffum Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Love the looks of this knife. Unfortunately I found out about them way too late.

10. bluemax_1

Jan 17, 2014
    Oil or fire?

Odog27 likes this.
  11. fatfrog

fatfrog Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 26, 2019
    They pop up for sale on the secondary market fairly regularly. Not all the time but not impossible to find.

12. jiffum

jiffum Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 24, 2020
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye out. Hopefully I'll have money at that time.

Odog27 and fatfrog like this.
  13. untytled

untytled Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2014
    PXL_20210116_184926852.PORTRAIT_copy_1152x648.jpg

Xr6x, woodysone, 91bravo and 8 others like this.
  14. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    005.JPG

15. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Three of my favourites!
    [​IMG]

ipal, Xr6x, 1AbominAble1 and 16 others like this.
  16. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Beautiful blades!

17. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Sweeeeeeeet !!!!!!

18. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    A very well-loved knife[​IMG]

mpjustin, Jsega51, woodysone and 9 others like this.