Show Your Machetes

I only have two and this is my machete experiment period. Basically I have one for light stuff, and one for heavier materials. I got them primarily to clear a path through choked brush areas. Now I am see additional uses.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...l-Magnum-Kukri-Machete?highlight=Magnum+Kukri

IMG_4154.jpg

Guyon,
I really want one of those monster Cold Steel magnum Kukris? Are they decent choppers...it reminds me of an Enep sword or something.

View attachment 242343
MOD Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete
Haven't had an oppertunity to use it much....or at all :(
I want to make a back-carry kydex scabbard for it.

That is sick.
It reminds me of "book of eli", which made me want an Enep pretty bad...cool little movie. I bought the Condor Enep machete..its awesome. ..the Magnum is next on the list.

Nobody's done a custom handle job on the Bear Grylls Parang yet? I placed my order today, as well as a Cold Steel Magnum khukri. I'm in a modding mood... spending Christmas at the parents' and dad has a nice workshop. Should be able to crank out some decent handles.

Nobody's done a custom handle job on the Bear Grylls Parang yet? I placed my order today, as well as a Cold Steel Magnum khukri. I'm in a modding mood... spending Christmas at the parents' and dad has a nice workshop. Should be able to crank out some decent handles.

That will be interesting. I am curious as to how much hassle you will have in removing the handles. They may be a bugger.

That's why there's a radio in the shop ;) Between a utility knife and a hacksaw blade I should be able to make it happen. On the modding list are a Sheffield with a loose plastic handle, a CS Sax that's getting a Viking treatment, a Gerber Parang and a GI Tanto.

Hard not to love that thing. Joe really knocked it out of the park with that design.

I'm thinking it's almost time for me to bust out all of my machetes for an updated group pic. It's been a couple of years since I did the last one.

Got my 12inch Condor Bolo today. 1st thing I did was strip it and squared and rounded the spine. The part that looks sharp on the spine wasnt, but I still rounded it. Also got a Med cold steel sure strike.

photo.jpg

This is a Tram that I picked up for $3 in a hardware store in Panama. Took about five minutes on the belt grinder to shape the handle and sharpen it properly. best $3 I ever spent. It has been with me for three consecutive jungle trips and is great for ease of field maintenance.

calvertcliffs003.jpg

Tram-postmod002.jpg

Here is a Condor Parang (gifted recently to a forum member) that was helping me out with a shelter project. The frame was tied together with bark cordage.

parangsheath.jpg

021.jpg

And of course I have to show my favorite. No question, no contest. It has to be my Fiddleback!

fiddlebackmachete003.jpg

It has the most comfortable handle I have ever used.

fiddlebackmachete005.jpg

It has a great spring temper, very flexible and always returns true.

fiddlebackmachete042.jpg

AND IT IS TOUGH AS HELL!!!
Battons firewood like a champ.

fiddlebackmachete010.jpg

fiddlebackmachete013.jpg

fiddlebackmachete014.jpg

fiddlebackmachete018.jpg

I have a 12in Fiddleback as well but pics are not on photobucket yet.

Looks like the above Fiddleback is a 16" model? I have a 16" and an 18" and love 'em both. :)

I like that gradual recurve. Update on the Gerber Parang: 15 minutes ago I used an SAK Huntsman and unzipped the handle right off both sides. Pretty much effortless removal of the over-molded poly deal. The blade has been stripped-took about 4 rounds of some old leftover non-flamable stripper to get it down to useable. Sanded it down to a clean, oxidized finish with some forging and machining marks left that will look really good after a vinegar soak. Biggest issue now is I'm dealing with reduced tang size- not exactly 'full tang' as in a scaled handle unfortunately. I'll either have to find some liner material and build the handle up from what it is, do some sort of leather/line wrap or carve the shape into one side of a scale. Still debating what to do with the materials I brought-I have some nice figured walnut, maple and rosewood, some 3/4 weight leather, some jute line and slow set epoxy. Also still debating if I want to chisel grind the first 2 inches for close-in carving shtuff. Long ways to go but it's de-Gryllsified and headed in the right direction towards an ultimate jungle blade. I wonder how the steel will hold up, because I REALLY like the blade design.

Carve the grip core then pin it/wrap over it with the twine and soak epoxy into it. Then cover the grip with the leather and stitch and glue the seam. Similar construction method as a sword hilt.

I've considered doing that on other machetes and knives-walnut core with a leather wrap on top and maybe a turkish jute knot to set the whole thing off. Wouldn't that be pretty ;) Another idea is making a wooden liner... tigerstriped maple maybe for the tang filler and walnut scales?

Last edited:
I could see a tang filler being prone towards shock damage, but it's a possibility. You could also build up a grip out of fiberglass cloth or canvas similar to G10 or micarta.

As far as the cord/leather effect was concerned, imagine something like this only on a more machete-style handle.
GripPrinceA1024.jpg

Back