Signalprick/JWRitchie Knives Slipjoint Recovers, Mods and WIPS

Signalprick

Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello Bladeforums and specifically BF Porch Dwellers! I wanted to start my own thread to show pictures of my slippie mods and works in progress also to foster any conversation, questions or comments about modding and hopefully, eventually making slip joints. Thanks for taking a peek!

First up are my most recent completions. An ebony #15 with a bottle opener delete and a recover of an 85. I redressed it in natural canvas micarta. No shield on this one as the owner wanted a no nonsense user.
20200212_075043.jpg

20200212_080227.jpg

Next is a Waynorth #86 Blackjack pen blade delete. I've done a bunch of these and I've said many times, if you find this one in stock form a little too chunky you really owe it to yourself to explore having it slimmed down! Personally once slimmed I prefer this clip blade and size over a #77 and certainly over the #15 and I'm not a big fan of larger knives. If you own the 2019 BF you know what I mean!
20200212_103742.jpg

20200212_103703.jpg

20200212_103710.jpg

20200212_103718.jpg

dantzk8

Basic Member
Always a pleasure to see your works. I'm interested in what is related to the making and modification of traditional pocket knives. I will have questions, many questions. Thanks for opening this thread.

Dan.

Signalprick

Always a pleasure to see your works. I'm interested in what is related to the making and modification of traditional pocket knives. I will have questions, many questions. Thanks for opening this thread.

Dan.
Hey Dan. Thanks for the comment. The ONLY reason I've gotten to this point and hopefully beyond is good people who were/are willing to share their knowledge and insight. I'm here for you anytime my friend. :thumbsup:

HEMI 49

Gold Member
Hello Bladeforums and specifically BF Porch Dwellers! I wanted to start my own thread to show pictures of my slippie mods and works in progress also to foster any conversation, questions or comments about modding and hopefully, eventually making slip joints. Thanks for taking a peek!

First up are my most recent completions. An ebony #15 with a bottle opener delete and a recover of an 85. I redressed it in natural canvas micarta. No shield on this one as the owner wanted a no nonsense user.
View attachment 1282987

View attachment 1282989

Next is a Waynorth #86 Blackjack pen blade delete. I've done a bunch of these and I've said many times, if you find this one in stock form a little too chunky you really owe it to yourself to explore having it slimmed down! Personally once slimmed I prefer this clip blade and size over a #77 and certainly over the #15 and I'm not a big fan of larger knives. If you own the 2019 BF you know what I mean!
View attachment 1282991

View attachment 1282992

View attachment 1282993

View attachment 1282994

Your work is beautiful.... The fitting of new covers between the bolsters is dead tight... Your riveting is of airframe quality.... This is obviously a passion of yours to do this work..... I'll be very interested to read your reports and view the pictures on future modifications....

HEMI 49

Gold Member
My random knife modding thought for the day. GEC steel liners are POO! If you seen how much rust is hiding under those covers you would freak out! Softer than the brass it seems too!

I would think GEC is using a cold finished mild steel for the liners... As such it has no anti corrosion properties...... Brass is typically sold Dead Soft, 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, etc up to full hard... The liners could have been punched from 1/2 hard sheet and then silver plated to look like steel..... Many places in Erie, PA that will tumble plate small qtys of parts.....

Signalprick

These are also things we’d be interested in seeing! Nice work on the blade deletes and recovers :thumbsup:
Yes sir! I fully intend to take the time to illustrate with pics. Not always but def. when it gets interesting!
Your work is beautiful.... The fitting of new covers between the bolsters is dead tight... Your riveting is of airframe quality.... This is obviously a passion of yours to do this work..... I'll be very interested to read your reports and view the pictures on future modifications....
Thank you! I can't tell you how many hours I spent watching youtube videos and pestering knife makers on peening. There is definitely an art to it. And no doubt I'm still learning the ropes

Signalprick

I would think GEC is using a cold finished mild steel for the liners... As such it has no anti corrosion properties...... Brass is typically sold Dead Soft, 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, etc up to full hard... The liners could have been punched from 1/2 hard sheet and then silver plated to look like steel..... Many places in Erie, PA that will tumble plate small qtys of parts.....
They are def. steel. The rust is to be expected since they obviously aren't stainless at all but I'm really amazed at how soft they seem to be also.

mrknife

Gold Member
that is a little disappointing because some time ago, Pittsburgh was known as the steel center of the nation. :(

SVTFreak

Gold Member
They are def. steel. The rust is to be expected since they obviously aren't stainless at all but I'm really amazed at how soft they seem to be also.

Can voucher for how soft they are. I dropped my BF 86, not far even, and it landed on bolster end slight angle and peened that liner right on over.

sunknife

Gold Member
I'll be watching with interest.:thumbsup: I enjoy seeing something that is stock transformed into one of a kinds.