Signalprick/JWRitchie76 Slipjoint Recovers, Mods and WIPS

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Signalprick, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Hello Bladeforums and specifically BF Porch Dwellers! I wanted to start my own thread to show pictures of my slippie mods and works in progress also to foster any conversation, questions or comments about modding and hopefully, eventually making slip joints. Thanks for taking a peek!

First up are my most recent completions. An ebony #15 with a bottle opener delete and a recover of an 85. I redressed it in natural canvas micarta. No shield on this one as the owner wanted a no nonsense user.
    20200212_075043.jpg

20200212_080227.jpg

Next is a Waynorth #86 Blackjack pen blade delete. I've done a bunch of these and I've said many times, if you find this one in stock form a little too chunky you really owe it to yourself to explore having it slimmed down! Personally once slimmed I prefer this clip blade and size over a #77 and certainly over the #15 and I'm not a big fan of larger knives. If you own the 2019 BF you know what I mean!
    20200212_103742.jpg

20200212_103703.jpg

20200212_103710.jpg

20200212_103718.jpg

2. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Always a pleasure to see your works. I'm interested in what is related to the making and modification of traditional pocket knives. I will have questions, many questions. Thanks for opening this thread.

Dan.

3. glennbad

glennbad Knife Moddin' Fool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 13, 2003
    Great stuff Jason!

4. Pinemoon

Pinemoon Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2005
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Signalprick likes this.
  5. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Hey Dan. Thanks for the comment. The ONLY reason I've gotten to this point and hopefully beyond is good people who were/are willing to share their knowledge and insight. I'm here for you anytime my friend. :thumbsup:

6. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    A sincere Thank You Glenn! I'm humbled sir! :)

7. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    My random knife modding thought for the day. GEC steel liners are POO! If you seen how much rust is hiding under those covers you would freak out! Softer than the brass it seems too!

8. dantzk8

dantzk8

Nov 1, 2005
    Say it ain't so !

Dan.

Signalprick likes this.
  9. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    :(

10. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    These are also things we’d be interested in seeing! Nice work on the blade deletes and recovers :thumbsup:

11. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Your work is beautiful.... The fitting of new covers between the bolsters is dead tight... Your riveting is of airframe quality.... This is obviously a passion of yours to do this work..... I'll be very interested to read your reports and view the pictures on future modifications....

12. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I would think GEC is using a cold finished mild steel for the liners... As such it has no anti corrosion properties...... Brass is typically sold Dead Soft, 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, etc up to full hard... The liners could have been punched from 1/2 hard sheet and then silver plated to look like steel..... Many places in Erie, PA that will tumble plate small qtys of parts.....

13. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Yes sir! I fully intend to take the time to illustrate with pics. Not always but def. when it gets interesting!
    Thank you! I can't tell you how many hours I spent watching youtube videos and pestering knife makers on peening. There is definitely an art to it. And no doubt I'm still learning the ropes

14. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    They are def. steel. The rust is to be expected since they obviously aren't stainless at all but I'm really amazed at how soft they seem to be also.

HEMI 49 likes this.
  15. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    that is a little disappointing because some time ago, Pittsburgh was known as the steel center of the nation. :(

16. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    Very interesting. I will definitely be checking in on this.

17. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Teaching myself a new trick for the toolbox. First attempt was not a success. Glue gave way at the last second...but oh so close!!!
    20200213_162204.jpg

20200213_163214.jpg

20200213_163106.jpg

20200213_163513.jpg

18. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Very nice work, it’s harder than it looks...

Signalprick likes this.
  19. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Can voucher for how soft they are. I dropped my BF 86, not far even, and it landed on bolster end slight angle and peened that liner right on over.

20. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I'll be watching with interest.:thumbsup: I enjoy seeing something that is stock transformed into one of a kinds.

MC0311 likes this.