Signalprick/JWRitchie Knives Slipjoint Recovers, Mods and WIPS

My random knife modding thought for the day. GEC steel liners are POO! If you seen how much rust is hiding under those covers you would freak out! Softer than the brass it seems too!

that is a little disappointing because some time ago, Pittsburgh was known as the steel center of the nation. :(

I’d have to disagree with this, I think you’ve either gotten too used to the 86’s which have brass that’s a fair bit thicker than other GEC knives, the steel is far more durable an less prone to bending than the brass at the same or similar thickness. The 86’s are more sturdy than the general steel liners though but again they’re much thicker, I think the Northwoods 86’s would be sturdier still. I’d take a steel lined gec over the same in brass any day of the week.
Can voucher for how soft they are. I dropped my BF 86, not far even, and it landed on bolster end slight angle and peened that liner right on over.
That’s nickel silver and brass, I think he’s saying the steel GEC is softer than that.

J jsdistin No I am basing that random thought from all of my experience with all the different GEC's I've pulled apart and put back together up to this point. Not just the 86. Yea, I know, I'm new on the scene. Thank you for reminding me. :p I just feel like the steel GEC's I've worked on so far have seemed very soft and weirdly softer than the brass counterparts. I have no scientific data to support this opinion or experience. I'm sure you are correct, and the steel is in fact less gumby than the brass. It just hasn't felt that way to me so far.

J jsdistin No I am basing that random thought from all of my experience with all the different GEC's I've pulled apart and put back together up to this point. Not just the 86. Yea, I know, I'm new on the scene. Thank you for reminding me. :p I just feel like the steel GEC's I've worked on so far have seemed very soft and weirdly softer than the brass counterparts. I have no scientific data to support this opinion or experience. I'm sure you are correct, and the steel is in fact less gumby than the brass. It just hasn't felt that way to me so far.

Not reminding you of anything, I have no idea how much experience you have. The only reason I commented was that when I was early in modding (like last year) I always preferred the steel ones because they seemed much sturdier than the brass ones.

Did you guys see the video Garcia posted about steel liners vs. synthetic (G-10)? I know steel/brass are more traditional, but man are the synthetics strong! You might consider offering mods with the G-10 liners in place of (or as accents for) steel/brass.

Did you guys see the video Garcia posted about steel liners vs. synthetic (G-10)? I know steel/brass are more traditional, but man are the synthetics strong! You might consider offering mods with the G-10 liners in place of (or as accents for) steel/brass.
I turned a Winchester Black Box Moose into dual lightweight (linerless) knives and they turned out real nice! I would love to do more but y'all gotta request it. Right now I'm backed up pretty good with client knives so no time to do my personal stuff really. But yea, I can, have and would absolutely love to do more projects like that! :thumbsup:
IMG_20191229_163911_185.jpg

IMG_20191229_163911_182.jpg

IMG_20191229_163911_208.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
I personally am not a G-10 fan.
Using it for covers is one thing, but I like brass liners on a traditional.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
I personally am not a G-10 fan.
Using it for covers is one thing, but I like brass liners on a traditional.

I agree that brass or steel is more traditional. My comment was more about durability and strength. Most traditional folders don't need that extra strength, unless you are too careless with your coon fingering and chicken eyeing (like I am with my own knives too often).

I agree that brass or steel is more traditional. My comment was more about durability and strength. Most traditional folders don't need that extra strength, unless you are too careless with your coon fingering and chicken eyeing (like I am with my own knives too often).
Yes, to each their own, my friend :)
I had not heard of synthetic liners in knives.
My prejudice against G-10 was triggered, I guess.

The g10 is just an easy liner material to get in the thin sheeting and adds contrast to the handle. Again, I'm not quoting scientific fact but I don't know that it is any stronger than micarta and probably not any less strong just much easier to get in thin sheeting and looks darn cool as a contrasting liner material.

The g10 is just an easy liner material to get in the thin sheeting and adds contrast to the handle. Again, I'm not quoting scientific fact but I don't know that it is any stronger than micarta and probably not any less strong just much easier to get in thin sheeting and looks darn cool as a contrasting liner material.
I'd be down for some anodized aluminum :thumbsup:

Yes, to each their own, my friend :)
I had not heard of synthetic liners in knives.
My prejudice against G-10 was triggered, I guess.

I really don't like G-10 as a handle material, oddly enough, but it has good strength and versatility as a structural component. I even have a custom knife made by Roland Lannier that has a blade spring made of steel sandwiched around g-10. It has the same (if not better) strength, adds a nice pop of color contrast, and slightly reduces the weight.

I really don't like G-10 as a handle material, oddly enough, but it has good strength and versatility as a structural component. I even have a custom knife made by Roland Lannier that has a blade spring made of steel sandwiched around g-10. It has the same (if not better) strength, adds a nice pop of color contrast, and slightly reduces the weight.
I am familiar with Lannier thanks to YouTube.
He makes unique and high-end stuff-- what I'd call "modern" slipjoints.

I go back and forth with some materials.
I see G-10 as basically a "plastic" and something I don't particularly want in my Traditionals. Of course acrylic is a plastic that gets used on traditionals, too, and I go back and forth with that as well.

Seeing either of these materials as a liner in a knife is not something I'm all that excited about.
But I have been surprised by different knives before. Getting something in the hand can make a difference sometimes.

I turned a Winchester Black Box Moose into dual lightweight (linerless) knives and they turned out real nice! I would love to do more but y'all gotta request it. Right now I'm backed up pretty good with client knives so no time to do my personal stuff really. But yea, I can, have and would absolutely love to do more projects like that! :thumbsup:
View attachment 1283476

View attachment 1283478

View attachment 1283479
Linerless Slipjoints are my weakness. These look really awesome! Do you have any other Linerless knives you've made or modded?

Linerless Slipjoints are my weakness. These look really awesome! Do you have any other Linerless knives you've made or modded?

Nope. Not yet. I will definitely find something to make for myself. Hoping more people will request them too but we'll see.

Your work looks great! I would really like to see some WIP pictures!!

I am going to try and make this happen but in my defense when I get in the zone I forget about all the outside noise and just focus on the work.

I am familiar with Lannier thanks to YouTube.
He makes unique and high-end stuff-- what I'd call "modern" slipjoints.

I go back and forth with some materials.
I see G-10 as basically a "plastic" and something I don't particularly want in my Traditionals. Of course acrylic is a plastic that gets used on traditionals, too, and I go back and forth with that as well.

Seeing either of these materials as a liner in a knife is not something I'm all that excited about.
But I have been surprised by different knives before. Getting something in the hand can make a difference sometimes.

My philosophy may be odd, but I think that honoring the Tradition involves submitting to its foundational principles while improving upon areas where the Tradition was limited in its knowledge or vision or abilities. Modern materials seem to fit into the “knowledge” and “Vision” categories. There is also a lot of ways to honor the Tradition with materials—how cool is it, for instance, to use vintage micarta that were part of something old and important but now obsolete except as materials for a tool that can honor the Tradition and history of our society. It’s pretty cool to me.

5CF747FE-87A9-4576-9262-C4A1F2848830.jpeg
Just got this back from Jason today. Needed a bit of flushing and the pivot is tighter than factory, so will need some working in, but everything else is exquisite! I love it in hand. I like girth but for some reason the extra blades bother me. This single blade 86 makes for a perfect harmony in my opinion. Thanks for making it happen, Jason. I look forward to the next opportunity to entrust a knife into your hands.

Back