Skinna Skinna, Chicken Dinna

I'd say! There are some beasts in there.
That second from the left on the bottom is wild. Looks like he tried to fork on the left and grow two beams on the right!

I think thats the strangest one he's got, He's got a great big 12 pointer with 2 drop tines on the right beam thats not pictured here which is pretty cool.

I saw a little muley spike today that had a square club starting on one side, he should interesting in a few months.

Cute little terd, they'd be tender sandwiches anyways!

My wife said she seen it the other day with its mom,and she said it has grown quite a bit since the pics, good to see it's still around. We have quite a few coyotes around here and they like tender sandwiches also.

Yeah, they play hell out here too. Hopefully I'll get some coyote hunting in this winter. I'm gonna hit the hay, it was good talking to you:thumbup:

Drawing the tang down and softening the end for peening. Blade is sitting in a cup of wet sand so as not affect its temper.

Wet sand? That's genius. I've tried with just s cup of water and that didn't work to well. Why have you been hiding this secret technique? Haha.

Ha, I read it on bladeforums somewhere, can't remember who's idea it was. Works great, stays put!

Guards almost fully fit, sanding out the blade. I like to go to 2500 and then finish with 1500. It seems to help me if I pass the grit I want to finish at and then go back one.

That guard fit is looking real good.:thumbup:

A couple of crappy shots of the guard. I'd like to get a macro lens one day for shots like this.

The backside will have a bit of a scoop in it. Some maroon micarta, aluminum, and black spacers behind the guard and then leather.

Here's a rough shot of the leather, it will clean up deeper in, I'm liking the alternating thicknesses so far.

Hey Scott, what do you think of a thin slice or two of Blackwood? If you have any ideas on how you want your spacers, I'm all ears.

As far as the exposed tang on the butt goes, do you want it polished or the hammer finish left?

That would look good John, I think it would offset the leather nicely blackwood that is. You probably have a better eye than I do how to space things. I think the hammered look would go with leather stack for the butt end. ha ha he said butt. Were you able to use any of the bullets sent?

The hammered butt jokes could be endless!

Thanks again for the bullets, they'll definitely get used. I load for them all but the .303, I'm sure I can find a home for those.

Opening that box was like Christmas, I need to get some pictures of the mesquite up, that stuff is phenomenal. It's pretty dry here compared to you so I've got it in a room with higher humidity and a pretty constant temperature. I'd hate for that stuff to crack.

That burl bowl you posted (in knives and stuff) is beautiful, I meant to ask you what kind of wood is that? I really like how you turned that.

Good, glad you can use them they were sitting around and I was hoping there was a good Pronghorn or Muley that could get in the way of them. :D I really want to see what you can do with the Hitachi Blue... The few pieces I've done have come out pretty good, that stuff will really take an edge!

The bowl is the other part of a Cherry burl I reverse turned it so it has the natural bark edge.

That Hitachi is screaming at me to be paring knives with the lacewood(?) that you sent. I made a paring knife for Mel that she's been using for about a year and seems to like. Had really nice walnut scales until company ran it through the dishwasher! No biggie, it happens. It held up, but never looked the same.

The hammered butt jokes could be endless!

Thanks again for the bullets, they'll definitely get used. I load for them all but the .303, I'm sure I can find a home for those.

Opening that box was like Christmas, I need to get some pictures of the mesquite up, that stuff is phenomenal. It's pretty dry here compared to you so I've got it in a room with higher humidity and a pretty constant temperature. I'd hate for that stuff to crack.

That burl bowl you posted (in knives and stuff) is beautiful, I meant to ask you what kind of wood is that? I really like how you turned that.

Okay I just figured out what bowl you meant (in knives and stuff) it's a Australian Red Malle Burl. It's one of the hardest woods I've ever turned. It's so hard (ha-ha, ha-ha) Beavis & Butthead sound here you have to use real heavy scrapers. Gouges wont really cut it they just bounce off it's like turning a rock.

Back