1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Skull Beads???

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Forrest G, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Cougar Allen

Cougar Allen Buccaneer (ret.)

Oct 9, 1998
    My neighbor has a big Hello Kitty skull and crossbones decal on the back window of her car, like this:
    [​IMG]
    I guess it makes it easier to find her car in a parking lot, and maybe she thinks it's cute.

2. dasknife

dasknife

Sep 26, 2012
    I like them or at least the idea of them on my knives, but as soon as they get tied on they only last about a week or so. If you like them use em, they are yours and no one else's.

3. SpookStrickland

SpookStrickland

Sep 27, 2012
    Skull beads are kool, Skulls are kind of my "thing" :)

[​IMG]

4. XxdrpxX

XxdrpxX

May 31, 2011
    The simple answer is that lanyards are used on knives for many reasons. To wrap around your wrist when chopping so you never lose the knife on a wild swing or miss. To provide a easy to reach grip on a shallow riding folder, or make it easier to identify on a crowded utility belt. Extend a short handle knife and allow alternate grip positions. The skull is a style. You dont like skulls, diligaf? Skulls have lots of meanings....I wouldnt waste my time telling you my reasons on a normal day. A skull with wings usually symbolizes a journey to the after life. A skull with coins on the eyes to represent the travel on the river styx, and the coins as payment. Crossed bones are a warning. To say that skulls, as a symbol of being badass as being laudable, then I would encourage you to walk up to the next Hells Angels member you see and let him know your hello kitty can kick the shit out of his deathhead.

5. Forrest G

Forrest G

Jun 21, 2014
    I am starting to see the appeal, it makes sense to me now.

I always viewed skulls as this-
    [​IMG]
    and never saw them as this-
    [​IMG]

It was my own fault and misinterpretation of skulls. thanks for commenting why you like skulls. I might just get a skull bead myself one day, however I don't like the intimidation effect they might have like a previous poster mentioned.

6. D-R0CK

D-R0CK

Sep 22, 2012
    I agree that they seem tacky and childish. Like getting a tattoo of barbed wire, it just seems to be trying too hard to be masculine/cool. I cringe when I see skull beads on $500 knives, but then i don't even own a $500 knife, and who am I to tell them what's cool and isn't? I agree though, they're pretty... Cliche.

7. stabman

stabman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2007
    We don't have any Hell's Angels around here.
    We do have Asian girls with Hello Kitty backpacks though. :)
    I'll take the Asian girls and call it a win. :thumbup:

8. Maprik

Maprik

May 17, 2012
    If you have to ask then you won't understand the answer.

9. XxdrpxX

XxdrpxX

May 31, 2011
    Actually there are numerous hells angels in Canada. Vancouver chapter, Montreal, Quebec, Calgary. The hells angels even had a rpg launched into their club house by the bandidos in Quebec. 160 bikers injured several innocent dead including an 11 year old boy from shrapnel. I know Canada likes to shroud itself in innocence after all guns are illegal, but I do lots of work in Canada, directly and indirectly related to security. So just go to any major Canadian city and there's a neighborhood HA you can get aquatinted with.

10. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Windsor, Ontario.
    We don't have any these days.
    They used to be around, but seeing as the money left the city, so did they pretty much.
    Or maybe 200 thousand people isn't major enough for you...

And all guns are illegal? What rock are you living under? I own 10 guns, all legal.

Americans telling me about Canada...:rolleyes:

11. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    And all because I don't want a bead on my knife...what a world. :D

12. XxdrpxX

XxdrpxX

May 31, 2011
    "I know Canada likes to shroud itself in innocence after all guns are illegal,"

After all - per websters dictionary. 1
    : in spite of considerations or expectations to the contrary : nevertheless <decided to take the train after all> <didn't rain after all>

An author who doesn't get the English language, and likes to make snide remarks about those who happen to like something he doesn't.

13. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I remember seeing a documentary that said that the skull and death tattoo/icon themes came back from WW2 with the troops, returning to civilian life having seen and done things that many could never imagine.

I like lanyards on a very few knives - smaller knives and ones that are hard to pull from my pocket.

I like the occasional "death's head dangle-bob" as it was so eloquently described by a member here; the Emerson skull is very unique for instance.

I am a little hello-kitty phobic, besides, my granddaughters would steal them. ;^)

best

mqqn

14. stabman

Sep 17, 2007
    Meh, you still said guns are illegal here.
    You're still wrong.

By the way, I have a couple of skull rings, and my ESEE Junglas has a skull right on the blade!
    Do I get to be a cool kid now as well?

And this whole sideline of "blah blah blah" is completely irrelevant to the actual topic of the thread (yes, that includes many of my yammerings as well). :)

Oh yeah, and as it's now past midnight, Happy Canada Day! :thumbup:
    (And I actually quite like skulls...I have one right in my head!)

15. uptheorg

uptheorg Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2013
    I just discovered Rog War (he's on Facebook) who makes fantastic beads that I find a great alternative to the skull beads which I have on several of my knives. Here's some photos of my first one:
    0862ed7836fa45b070f4fad6678711b1_zpsdd41cae2.jpg
    06686155b027f531a7204f029b08cf32_zps550bf9af.jpg
    571e858050cb896e92e73e6c6c0f0baa_zpsf62f066e.jpg