Sledge Hammers!

I doubt that upper hammer was used for tenderizing meat. More likely for dressing stone. Most of us will have noticed old buildings with straight limestone sills, lintels and corner stones that are dimpled much like the face of that hammer.

Right. Like I said, a bush hammer.

Not bad, but why's the head black ?

It looks like it took a vinegar bath and just wasn't scrubbed afterward. Cosmetic only, but next time consider cleaning it quickly and giving it a second or third dip. It can have a chance to get the thicker bits of rust that way.

I used to use vinegar for things but it's been a while. I almost always use a wire wheel, but when I can't or for intricate small tools I have been using Evaporust these days. It works great, is not hazardous for you or your skin and best of all if you forget to take your work out for a while it doesn't keep eating the metal. It only works on the rust and then stops.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Scotty Fulton in Maysville, Kentucky has a collection of over 14,000 hammers. A visit to his collection can be arranged by appointment; for information, call 606-763-6435.

Lots of pics, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/sets/72157623816148611/

129bfa8bc6115019ccd243d93fd36e72.jpg

ad39895d-401c-5f5b-870b-ce07c601715b.image.jpg

.... I have been using Evaporust these days. It works great, is not hazardous for you or your skin and best of all if you forget to take your work out for a while it doesn't keep eating the metal. It only works on the rust and then stops.

I noticed an ever so faint etching line on a rusted piece I partially submerged in EvapoRust. It was right at or near the surface of the liquid. Perhaps because there was some oxygen there? So do be careful with delicate or cosmetic objects.

Citric acid works on rust and tarnished brass. I bought some powder cheap at an Indian grocery store. They use it to curdle milk to make cheese. Brewing supply places also sell it and it is used for canning food. Sour Skittles candy is coated with citric acid.

Lots of ways. Almost every piece that I post was rusty then wire wheeled and gets linseed oil when I oil the handle and is rubbed dry like the handle. I love the resulting look.

That's pretty cool. I suppose they're common in Spain. I've never been to Spain but I kinda like the music.

Last edited:
Who can tell me about this railroad tool? It looks like a spike puller but I can't quite picture how it would be used. It's on a very nice $10 Lowe's handle.

My guess is that the front of the head slips even under the spike parallel to the ground allowing the handle to be held off at a 45 degree angle so as to be free of the partner striking the back of the head with a hammer, driving the head in and the spike up.

IMG_20180130_073941 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074013 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074021 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074051 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074105 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180130_074039 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back