small fixed blade knives

Hi all,

As I get older, I am discovering that small fixed blade knives are my favorite knives.
Please post pixs of your[SUB][/SUB] SMALL (four inch blade and under) FIXED blade knives.
I can't believe I missed the following thread on this awesome looking lil' TOPS beauty:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/783718-TOPS-BTK-Bird-amp-Trout-Knife

I really like the original Grohmann #1 Canadian Belt Knife although I wish it was just a 1/2" shorter in O.A.L.
That being said, my next new knife MUST have a handle that is at least 3.5" (three and a half) inches long.
I also would like my next knife to be no longer (in O.A.L.) than 8" (eight inches) however, shorter would be better. I just need a 3.5" handle. Thanks.

HARDBALL

I've also moved to carrying small FBs 90% the time, even if I do have a folder with me. Just makes the knife easier to reach from a variety of positions. I drive or sit more than I used to and a pocket folder is not always easy to reach. My most frequent carry is a Bark River Essential (2.5" M4 blade, 3.5" handle, but the small choil makes it feel a bit longer). I have the bolsterless model to cut down on the weight and shine a bit. If I'm in a suit, I'll carry a Bark River City Knife in a pocket sheath. It fits pretty well in an inside coat pocket. The knife is 6" OAL with a 2.5" blade and a 3.25" usable handle. I'm also real fond of my 3V Bark River Northstar EDC but it's a bit longer OAL than you want. Nice light and thin EDC, though.

Get the Grohmann 2, slimmer version of the #1. Carbon or stainless.

Here is my new EDC, the Kestrel Knives Tahoe in S35VN. 2.5in blade. It's simply amazing. I didn't realize what I was missing out on. As far as build goes it was perfect when I got it. I added a drop of oil to each of the micarta scales to give them a nice smooth chocolate color. I also Buffed the hardware on the kydex sheath with a scotchbrite pad to match the knife hardware. This knife is the real deal.

I plan on doing a more detailed review after I've used it more.

Enjoy! I know I am. :thumbup:

IMG_20131011_175822_120.jpg

BTW, I got it on the Exchange for a bit less than the normal price, but I would gladly pay the normal price for this knife.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Dale.....you sure have a NICE collection of small fixed blade knives! I have been looking at Bark River knives (on line) for some time and I like many of their designs. You have excellent taste in knives! Cba.....I will for sure check out that #2 Grohmann. Hi T.L., welcome to the "small fixed blade knife club". Yep, I think a lot of folks are missing out not having a smaller fixed blade knife. Now, I also carry "folders" as well. In fact, most days I carry THREE knives.....a small SAK, my
Spyderco Para Military 2 and my lil' custom "Nick Rossi" fixed blade. I am happy for you T.L. that you are enjoying your new
Kestral. Looks like a winner!

Regards,
HARDBALL

This thread is actually relevent to my interests as I'm very curious about small, fixed blade knives that could be considered "pocketknives." The idea of a fixed blade that looks good, made well and small enough to somehow have clipped into a sheath that is clipped inside my pocket sounds like something I would like to try. I have limited experience with fixed blade knives in general.

these are all production knives in the sub 3.5" range.

Smallknifecomp3_zpse336783f.jpg

some small fixed blade customs:

Smallcustomgroup_zpsbc6824db.jpg

KFUFunkyEDCSycamore_zps8e1f359b.jpg

Attachments

• KFUFunkyEDCSycamore_zps8e1f359b.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 96
Brisket you've got a nice collection of some VERY atractive knives there. Which ones stand out in your mind as your favorites?

As far as production knives go I really like the Izula II, Bark River Bravo Necker, Fallkniven WM1 and Bark River North Star EDC. Not shown but among my favorite small fixed blades are the Spyderco Street Beat and the Mule Team knives.

Last edited:
Hi Ogien,

I hope this thread will be useful for you as well. There is just....."something" neat about small'ish fixed blade knives.
Perhaps this this just another knife phase for me but, I don't think so. I have nice folders, larger fixed blades, VERY large fixed blade, Machetes, Meat Cleavers, etc. but, time and time again I keep coming back to searching (mostly) knives under eight inches in O.A.L. that can be carried without fuss. I must admit, the more I look at that TOPS BTK (Bird & Trout) Knife, the more I'm liking it! I'm thinking it's sort of a cross between a Canadian #1 Belt Knife and a small Nessmuk knife.
A "not too wide" Blade around 2.5" to 3 7/8's" most interest me. Brisket.....nice collection! I too would like to know if you have a (more or less) favorite small fixed blade knife.

Regards,
HARDBALL

Last edited:
As far as production knives go I really like the Izula II, Bark River Bravo Necker, Fallkniven WM1 and Bark River North Star EDC. Not shown but among my favorite small fixed blades are the Spyderco Street Beat and the Mule Team knives.
I'm going to have to look some of those up online, I'm just getting into small, pocket friendly, fixed blade knives so I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Hi Ogien,

I hope this thread will be useful for you as well. There is just....."something" neat about small'ish fixed blade knives.
Perhaps this this just another knife phase for me but, I don't think so. I have nice folders, larger fixed blades, VERY large fixed blade, Machetes, Meat Cleavers, etc. but, time and time again I keep coming back to searching (mostly) knives under eight inches in O.A.L. that can be carried without fuss. I must admit, the more I look at that TOPS BTK (Bird & Trout) Knife, the more I'm liking it! I'm thinking it's sort of a cross between a Canadian #1 Belt Knife and a small Nessmuk knife.
A "not to wide" Blade around 2.5" to 4" most interest me. Brisket.....nice collection! I too would like to know if you have (more or less) a favorite.

Regards,
HARDBALL

I completely agree, there is something very cool about the small fixed blade knives that is almost "classic" in some way that I can't really explain. I've got so very many folders, that I very much enjoy and appreciate but the small fixed blades are not only classic but they are also useful in the suburbs or even in the city. You can't really do that with a 6-8 inch blade without getting the cops called on you.

I think it's that the small fixed blades are elegant with very nice lines, generally speaking.

Thanks Hardball. If you like the Canadian Belt knife style you might want to look at the Bark River Mini Canadian and the Lil' Canadian. I also like that style and am been in talks with a custom maker to make a variation of one most likely in a premium steel.

I carry a small fixed blade most everyday, most of the time in a pocket sheath.

I really enjoy my small DPx Gear HEST II (Assault or Woodsman) with a 3.1" blade (with or without PVD coating) of Niolox stainless tool steel (61 HRC) that's also 0.19" thick, weighs less than 5 ounces, black G10 scales (Assault) or Brazilian Santos hardwood scales (Woodsman), hollow handle for storage, Cordura (Assault) or leather (Woodsman) sheath, 304 stainless steel hybrid slotted/Allen screws, 1/4" hex driver, unique wire stripper jimping and hard lashing points, thumb grip/bottle opener, pry bar, etc. Quality made by LionSteel of Italy.

The Les George fixed VECP is a great little fixed blade that you don't see very often:

I also like the smaller fixed blades, Here are some of mine
9-7-13+003.JPG

If you have any doubt the a small blade is right for you get a BK11/14 IMO one of the best for the money.

Hi all,

Thank you all for the excellent responses. Yes indeed SCW, I too like the above pictured (bottom) knife. It looks a LOT like my lil' custom "Nick Rossi". Might that knife have been made from a File ? Ogien......YES yes yes! That's it! I believe you nailed it Ogien......"ELEGANT!" I too find many small fixed blade knives "elegant". Well said. A perfect example is Sceva's photo of that BEAUTIFUL looking Geno Denning small Hunter. Stunning knife! Cynic, interesting lil' knife you got there. However, my having rather large hands, I have to have slabs/handles. Brisket......yes Sir, those beautiful lil' Bark River offerings (especially the Mini Canadian) are awesome! I'd LOVE to own one someday. Ram.....wow, that sounds like quite the knife you own! I'm happy you are liking it so much. LG&M.....those are some really nice small knives. I must confess, I recently acquired a Becker BK14. A very nice knife no doubt but......I need a bit more handle (and a blade that is a lil' bit longer and not quite as wide...TRADED 2013). Oooh ooh, I just remembered......I will soon be getting a package of knives back from Richard J (who sharpened a half dozen of my knives). One knife is a very neat older (circa 1950's) Scandi blade with a Bone handle however......the handle is a bit too short for my large Paws. Nevertheless, it's a cool lil' knife and I can't wait to get her back in my (well....three Fingers) of my Hand.

HARDBALL

Last edited:
these are all production knives in the sub 3.5" range.

Smallknifecomp3_zpse336783f.jpg

some small fixed blade customs:

Smallcustomgroup_zpsbc6824db.jpg

I have also recently found a love for small fixed blades. I have had an Izula for some time and made a back pocket leather sheath for it. Now I carry and use it all the time. My latest is a is a Benchmade 210 can't wait to get it. Does anyone know the make of the center knife in the top picture?

Back