Small Sebenza Full Back Spacer...

This may be a stupid question, but would this work with an insingo blade?
I would like to pick up a black canvas micarta one for my small insingo.

I'll send an email to you through the site.

Aesthetically this piece adds another dimension of awesomeness. Very nice work and stellar presentation.

Forgive the n00b question, but does this piece offer function as well? I assume it offers more grip to the knife while in use?

This may be a stupid question, but would this work with an insingo blade?
I would like to pick up a black canvas micarta one for my small insingo.

I'll send an email to you through the site.

Unfortunately these are not available anymore.

Aesthetically this piece adds another dimension of awesomeness. Very nice work and stellar presentation.

Forgive the n00b question, but does this piece offer function as well? I assume it offers more grip to the knife while in use?

A little grip, a little thickness and offers a guard against the blade in the closed position.

I’ve been reluctantly coerced (read strong armed) into making another machining run of small Serbenza full length back spacers in carbon fiber. I previously ran off six carbon fiber and four black Micarta back spacers for BladeForums member TTTis and although they came out very nicely… these things are really exactingly fussy and also require two completely different machining setups and jigging.

This run will consist of twelve carbon fiber back spacers with a slightly modified profile from the first run. The difference being the cog troughs. They were semicircular in the first run. They will be angular troughs in this run. In the attached images the first run back spacers are represented by the top back spacer and this coming second run by the lower.

I’m getting set to close the shop to prepare for an extended vacation and I hope to slip this back spacer run in as the last item prior to shutting down till mid-summer. Fingers crossed…

I’ll post up photos when I have these machined. Should be a week or so but If nothing gets posted by then... I've most likely missed the window and I won't be machining them until I return from vacation sometime this July.

pY1Mi6k.jpg

BSHZeDk.jpg

FlPuivP.jpg

OK... I've machined the first six carbon fiber back spacers this morning. I managed to squeeze it in between a couple of other jobs. I'll hopefully be machining a second batch of six back spacers this Wednesday.

Once I have all twelve I can then reconfigure my CNC table and install the vice and jigging for machining the blade clearance linear slots. Not sure when that will happen... just depends on some free shop time.

Sooooooo... How do I get in on this action?

Regards,
Adam

Adam-

I suspect that PM is good, but lets please keep this a WIP thread and any speak of sales to PM, email or the exchange.

These types of threads are informative and fun to see. Nice work OP!

Adam-

I suspect that PM is good, but lets please keep this a WIP thread and any speak of sales to PM, email or the exchange.

These types of threads are informative and fun to see. Nice work OP!
Point taken, sir.

And yes, it is fascinating to see this sort of thing unfold.

Regards,
Adam

Hi Jonny,

I originally worked these back spacers up on request for a Forum member that sent me his small Sebenza to disassemble, scan, and work up the required CAD/CAM/Gcode files to machine them. It takes a great deal of trust to offer up a CRK knife for the extended period it requires to make that happen.

IF someone were willing to do that for the large Sebenza I could and would make available some back spacers... however the time required to do this just can't take me away from my current machining projects. The 20 to 30 hours needed to arrive at machinable code doesn't produce a lick of income so I only am able to work up NEW projects in my limited free time.

I do not recall exactly how many days the small Sebenza back spacers required... but it could take weeks or even months for me to put together the time. I try to take on new projects only during my seasonal slow period for that reason. That starts right about December 15th.

I machined the second batch of six today. They all now get some hand work with a visit to the granite surfacing plate and #600 wet & dry. The final machining to mill the linear slot for the closed blade clearance in the underside of the spine may get accomplished on Friday... certainly over the weekend if not Friday.

04EO4vt.jpg

I applaud your effort and expertise,,,, I'm simply amazed at your skill,, The spacer is so clean, looks so simple, but it's perfect and repeatable... genius.....

I applaud your effort and expertise,,,, I'm simply amazed at your skill,, The spacer is so clean, looks so simple, but it's perfect and repeatable... genius.....

Agreed. I've got one of his backspacers for my small 21 and they are perfect.

Amazing work.

You should see his scale work for other brands. I had him do a couple custom sets for a pair of Emerson CQC-7's and the work was just amazing. I don't have the backspacer I posted above anymore, but it was absolutely perfect, as if it were made along with the rest of the knife in Boise.

would it work with an insingo blade?

Hmmm... I don't know the answer to that question. The original run of back spacers were designed off of Forum member TTTis's hand made back spacer and his specs. I'm also not at all familiar with CRK knives... but if another Forum member can't chime in with an answer... I think I might be able to snag a straight on side photo of an Insingo blade off the web and trace it in CAD. I can then overlay that tracing atop my existing Sebenza CAD vectors and see if there are any warts.

Give me a day or two...

Steve

Back