Snarkaholics Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking that we should either eliminate Columbus Day or at least change the name. This isn't anything new for me. It first occurred to me way back in high school. It's just such a load of crap! He didn't discover America he didn't prove that the world wasn't flat and he was an A**hole.
Now, I'm not saying I don't want my holiday pay or anything crazy like that. Maybe change the name or something.

That article's only a year old? Because people have been talking about that stuff for a few years now. Columbus day is really just an excuse for a long weekend. I say we make November 1st a national holiday. We could call it Hangover day. Or Walk of Shame day.

November 1st is my son's birthday. Already a holiday over here :D

I've been thinking that we should either eliminate Columbus Day or at least change the name. This isn't anything new for me. It first occurred to me way back in high school. It's just such a load of crap! He didn't discover America he didn't prove that the world wasn't flat and he was an A**hole.
Now, I'm not saying I don't want my holiday pay or anything crazy like that. Maybe change the name or something.

I remember hearing years ago something related to this, but couldnt remember exactly what i heard so i decided to look it up.

I dont mind there being a holiday either, i just wish they would teach kids the correct history in school. At least be as factual about it as they can.

I had a history teacher one year in school, that at the beginning of the school year, he says "Im paid to teach you and test you on certain events in the past the way they are written in the books provided by the school, however i dont agree with a lot of the things im here to teach you" Throughout the class he would sometimes say "according to this book" and similar. It always confused me LOL, i would be thinking ok if they know something is not right they should teach it the right way.

A name change would be good. Something like "Lies of the past" day Or "ignorant teachings" day... Anything along those lines would be good.

History is written by the victors ;) not always exactly to the events that happen. Fun!

Had a couple of "Becker Daiquiris" last night. Juice of one lime, teaspoon of sugar and rum over ice. Not bad at all.

Had a project in a class where I had to pick a hero and a villain. My hero was Shackleton and my villain was Columbus.

My hero is Anhieser Busch and my villain is cholesterol.

Despite having grown up in St. Louis, I'm not a fan of Anheuser Busch beverages....Not even since they got bought by InBev. More of a fan of InBev's other offerings such as Leffe and Hoegaarden.

And I love cholesterol....too much is bad, I know, but cholesterol makes food taste good!

:D

Gonna sell or trade a few items that are just taking up space. Thought that I would give BeckerHeads a chance though to get some stuff free if they need.
I have a few Tweener sheaths, and sets of tweener handles that I would be willing to give to a needy Head.

Think I am selling the spare Azwelke 16 kydex that I have and the custom whitish resin tweener handles that I have along with a set of KaBar full size Micarta handles. I will post those in the for sale thread.

I could use one of those tweener sheaths.... If you dont mind. But id likely use it for a knife i will be making and not a Becker, just full disclosure. SO if someone needs it for a Becker i can understand giving them first dibs.

On another note it seems bolts are sized by the thread size and not the head size.... Who knew.

On another note it seems bolts are sized by the thread size and not the head size.... Who knew.

Um, everyone. *snark* :p

FYI everyone, those tweener sheaths work well for Mora companions too. I think one of the retention straps is too loose but the other is perfect.

Um, everyone. *snark* :p

Yea, i figured a good portion of people knew that. I was more being sarcastic than anything with the "who knew" part.

But there were 2 sizes, i just figured one was the length and the other the head size... I was wrong LOL

Breaking News in the War of Northern Aggression. Union troops attempted to take the "Gibraltar of the West" at Columbus, KY today. General Leonidas Polk's well constructed earth works proved an obstacle the Yankees were unable to cope with.

Well defended..

IMG_4623.jpg

IMG_4624.jpg

The Northern batteries pounded the fort prior to the attack.

IMG_4722.jpg

And then, here they came.

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

But the brave southerners held steady.

IMG_4650.jpg

Confederate artillery opened up from the hilltop.

IMG_4705.jpg

Followed by withering fire poured on from the fortifications.

IMG_4640.jpg

The line wavered.

IMG_4691.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

Despite fighting fiercely, the accuracy of the fire from the fort was too much and Union troops fell by the score.

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

Casualties were mounting..

IMG_4689.jpg

And when the southern boys pressed the counter attack it was all but over.

IMG_4726.jpg

A great victory. By golly, I think we can win this thing. :D

This was just a few miles from our place at Columbus Belmont. First Civil War enactment I've seen and it was really fun. Loud as hell, but fun. :thumbup:

Awesome pics Trade. Love how it has the nostalgia yellowish look. Classy. Did you take the pics? Or is that your sons handy work? Looks like that would of been a cool thing to check out.

Kay took the pics and I added the black and white just to make it fun.

Awesome pictures Trade!!

Hmmm... what do we have here....

15322770078_e20c534423.jpg

I can finally get my finger right up to the blade just how i like it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back