Recommendation? So confused need help with choosing my first knife

I’m so confused from all of those knifes types and steels, my budget started as 30$ and now it’s 30-60$, I also have to play for shipping to my country so there are the prices.

Ruike p801 for 42$

Steel will modus for 60$

Steel will cutjack mini for 49$

Which do you think is the best for the price?

What concerns me:

**Ruike p801:**

I like the steel will design better

The steel isn’t d2

Handle might get slippery

**modus**

Will be too thick and bulky

The most expensive

**cutjack**

Deployment isn’t so smooth

The finger hole in the blade might get annoying

Modus is just a better version (?)

And what are those 27$ (w free shipping) Ganzo knifes, are it at the same quality as the steel will etc?

Please help me I can’t decide which to pick and I won’t buy another knife after this one for a long time

BTW my usage is light military EDC, wood carving for fun and just playing with it and cutting things. And I don’t want to buy the RAT2 because I don’t like the design

I’m so confused from all of those knifes types and steels, my budget started as 30$ and now it’s 30-60$, I also have to play for shipping to my country so there are the prices.

Ruike p801 for 42$

Steel will modus for 60$

Steel will cutjack mini for 49$

Which do you think is the best for the price?

What concerns me:

**Ruike p801:**

I like the steel will design better

The steel isn’t d2

Handle might get slippery

**modus**

Will be too thick and bulky

The most expensive

**cutjack**

Deployment isn’t so smooth

The finger hole in the blade might get annoying

Modus is just a better version (?)

And what are those 27$ (w free shipping) Ganzo knifes, are it at the same quality as the steel will etc?

Please help me I can’t decide which to pick and I won’t buy another knife after this one for a long time

BTW my usage is light military EDC, wood carving for fun and just playing with it and cutting things. And I don’t want to buy the RAT2 because I don’t like the design
Ganzo knives are cheap knock offs/clones of established designs. Don’t waste your money on them.

Those steel wills are nice, I don’t think either is a wrong pick. I hate to say it, but a RAT1 or 2 in D2 would be my pick for a cheap, hard use knife. Mine has been nothing less than rock solid.

Ganzo knives are cheap knock offs/clones of established designs. Don’t waste your money on them.

Those steel wills are nice, I don’t think either is a wrong pick. I hate to say it, but a RAT1 or 2 in D2 would be my pick for a cheap, hard use knife. Mine has been nothing less than rock solid.
agree with this.

Real steel h6, just to confuse you more. From what Ive heard the modus might be your best pick out of your choices

Rat 1 or 2 in Aus8. D2 is just hard to sharpen and performs lower.

And don't get a ganzo. Very bad brand. Copy everything. Low quality junk. Bladeforums doesn't support this brand and any threads about them will likely get locked.

Imported d2 has continued to disappoint in performance. Warning there is swearing in the vid.

Also outpost 76 has great testing vids too showing the same poor d2 results.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI_ZXbN06A7W937hKKnUfqQ

Welcome! Where are you from? And I echo the sentiment. No Ganzo. RAT 1 or 2 is a good choice on a budget.

I second Mo2 Mo2 . The import D2 has performed very poor in testing. AUS-8 is a much easier steel to sharpen and maintain, and when comparing these lower end knives will probably hold an edge longer as well. D2 is a tricky steel to heat treat correctly and a lot of these companies making these budget knives don't pay close attention to that. They just do it so you see D2 and perceive it as a great deal. That being said, the Ruike is 14c28n which is very nice for the price. Either one of the Rats in AUS-8 would be an excellent option as well.

Reactions: Mo2
Out of those.. I’d probably choose the Ruike P801. 14C28N is a good steel.

Or.. a Spyderco Tenacious. It fits your price range, but it’s not a flipper, incase that’s something you’re looking for. It’s a great design, though.

I have the Steelwill Mini Cutjack in M390 and quite pleased with it. I tend to agree about the "foreign" D2 not being as good as the US stuff. I wouldn't call the Mini Cutjack slippery, but the handles are just slightly rough and I think just about right.

Reactions: KVT
I have the Ruike P108 in 14C28N, and can tell you it's pretty good steel. I like it better than D2, in a folder. For a fixed blade, I like D2 better, as long as it is above about 60RC. But, the Sandvik steel used in the Ruike blades is easy enough to put a very nice edge on, and mine holds a good edge, as well. Don't obsess over steels, at least not this early in the game. They all work, just some better than others. Get what YOU like, and just use it to cut stuff. You will probably find it does most everything you need a knife to do reasonably well. And start saving for your next one. Because you'll get one, even if you don't really need it.

Welcome to the sickness....

The Ruike p801 is slippery but great. Thus the mods...
1ps8ePQ.jpg

1UrIr60.jpg

Just look at different knife sites. A very popular one is Blade HQ. I only mention them because you can choose the style blade you like, the size of the blade, the handle material, the steel, the price & more. Then see what's available. Make your decision from there. Then check around on this forum with the search tool & see if anyone is selling what your looking for. Watch You Tube videos. It's hard to pick your 1st knife because if your not happy, your gonna buy another & another. It won't ever end lol.

For a general knife, I say get a Buck 110 or 112 Slim, either in the general 420HC steel, good user steel, or pay more for the Pro line.

Tell ya what. My first nice folder was a spyderco Endura. Super knife. Beat the crap out of it working at my buddy's flower shop. Sent it back to Spyderco for a resharpen. Great Blade.
Just get a Spyderco for your first what ever model. You will love it

Rich K.

All good knives. Have you considered the Ka-Bar folding hunter? It’s even less expensive and constantly surprises me on how useful it is.

FBBBDE0F-3059-4A34-8FB3-1ABF638407F0.jpeg

Back