Recommendation? So confused need help with choosing my first knife

Can't really go wrong with any of them for the price.

I have no experience with the Rat, but its reputation precedes it, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

I love my Modus. It's become one of my primary EDC's. It won't seem too heavy, unless you're looking for a REALLY lightweight knife. The FRN scales are really grippy, and help keep the weight down. And the blade shape, at least for me, is damn near perfect.

But let's cut to the chase, if you're really serious about not buying another knife for a long time, up your price range. $75 a $100 will get you into a whole other class of knife, while still being in the 'budget' catagory. Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. all have good offerings at $100 or less. I'm partial to the Kershaw Knockout (been meaning to buy one for ages) or the Spyderco Manix2, but there are soooo many great folders in this price point, it's almost ridiculous. Not that you can't get a good knife for under $40, but it really limits your options on a knife you plan on living with for a few years. There's an old saying - buy once, cry once!
The knockout is a great knife. I have one that spends alot of time in my pocket,if only the asist wasnt so aggressive or maybe use kvt bearing
When I started looking for my first knife other than a SAK, I was looking at the Steel Will Cutjack or Rat 1. I would recommend either of them.

I ended up getting a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight in S110V steel. Love it!
The native 5 is pretty much a perfect knife imho.

Back