Recommendation? So confused need help with choosing my first knife

Honey Badger just launched their limited run D2 model with reversible pocket clip and red G10 back spacer.
If you want to spend less then there is the standard model too.

47755929272_392fe63b3d_z.jpg

40841685133_79002e2bf4_z.jpg

Can't really go wrong with any of them for the price.

I have no experience with the Rat, but its reputation precedes it, and for the price, you can't go wrong.

I love my Modus. It's become one of my primary EDC's. It won't seem too heavy, unless you're looking for a REALLY lightweight knife. The FRN scales are really grippy, and help keep the weight down. And the blade shape, at least for me, is damn near perfect.

But let's cut to the chase, if you're really serious about not buying another knife for a long time, up your price range. $75 a $100 will get you into a whole other class of knife, while still being in the 'budget' catagory. Kershaw, Spyderco, Benchmade, etc. all have good offerings at $100 or less. I'm partial to the Kershaw Knockout (been meaning to buy one for ages) or the Spyderco Manix2, but there are soooo many great folders in this price point, it's almost ridiculous. Not that you can't get a good knife for under $40, but it really limits your options on a knife you plan on living with for a few years. There's an old saying - buy once, cry once!

Ganzo has certainly copied other designers in the past. This has invited a lot of hate on the forum and I think it causes some people to overlook anything good they do. For instance, Ganzo does have original designs (or at least designs which don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of American companies). The quality on some of these designs is excellent for the price. Take a look at their FH series. I have the FH11. Compared to other sub-$30 knives, it is very impressive. The action is on bearings and is quite smooth. The lock-up is solid with no blade play. It came sharp and cuts well. The D2 may be "foreign" but it is real D2, it is treated to a hardness of 62 HRC, and it does hold an edge better than lots of knives I've owned in 8Cr13Mov or AUS-8.

D2 it is a tool steel that can be made very hard. This is good for edge retention. However, it tends to be more difficult to sharpen. It also has less corrosion resistance than many stainless steels. The difference between "foreign" or "imported" D2 isn't the steel but how it is treated by the companies using it. Higher end companies will take greater time and care in heat-treating and tempering steel. Of course, this is typically reflected in the cost of the knife. Given the complexities involved, it shouldn't be a big surprise that the D2 blade on a $25 Ganzo doesn't perform as well as D2 blades on knives that cost two, three, four (etc.) times as much. That's not really a fair comparison in the first place.

Here are the results of D2 cutting performance from that recent "SuperSteel Steve" test correlated with current Amazon prices. Notice that the Ganzo FH11 did outperform the Steel Will Cutjack. Also note the strangely large difference between coated and non-coated blades for the Rat 2.

Knife - Fine Edge (rounded feet of cardboard cut) - Working Edge (same) - Cost (rounded US Dollars)

Rat 2 (Coated) - 104 - 127 - $41
Rat 2 (Satin) - 86 - 118 - $37
Cutjack - 73 - 102 - $38
Ganzo FH11 - 77 - 113 - $26

To make a long story short, D2 has some good qualities but it isn't necessarily the best steel for a budget knife. Like any steel, a lot depends on what the maker does with it. I generally prefer stainless steel for EDC. I like 14C28N. I've recently had good experiences with 9Cr18Mov from Civivi and Acuto 440 from Tangram. I think Civivi and Tangram are great places to start if you're looking for a great budget knife.

When I started looking for my first knife other than a SAK, I was looking at the Steel Will Cutjack or Rat 1. I would recommend either of them.

I ended up getting a Spyderco Native 5 Lightweight in S110V steel. Love it!

Ganzo has certainly copied other designers in the past. This has invited a lot of hate on the forum and I think it causes some people to overlook anything good they do. For instance, Ganzo does have original designs (or at least designs which don't infringe upon the intellectual property rights of American companies). The quality on some of these designs is excellent for the price. Take a look at their FH series. I have the FH11. Compared to other sub-$30 knives, it is very impressive. The action is on bearings and is quite smooth. The lock-up is solid with no blade play. It came sharp and cuts well. The D2 may be "foreign" but it is real D2, it is treated to a hardness of 62 HRC, and it does hold an edge better than lots of knives I've owned in 8Cr13Mov or AUS-8.

D2 it is a tool steel that can be made very hard. This is good for edge retention. However, it tends to be more difficult to sharpen. It also has less corrosion resistance than many stainless steels. The difference between "foreign" or "imported" D2 isn't the steel but how it is treated by the companies using it. Higher end companies will take greater time and care in heat-treating and tempering steel. Of course, this is typically reflected in the cost of the knife. Given the complexities involved, it shouldn't be a big surprise that the D2 blade on a $25 Ganzo doesn't perform as well as D2 blades on knives that cost two, three, four (etc.) times as much. That's not really a fair comparison in the first place.

Here are the results of D2 cutting performance from that recent "SuperSteel Steve" test correlated with current Amazon prices. Notice that the Ganzo FH11 did outperform the Steel Will Cutjack. Also note the strangely large difference between coated and non-coated blades for the Rat 2.

Knife - Fine Edge (rounded feet of cardboard cut) - Working Edge (same) - Cost (rounded US Dollars)

Rat 2 (Coated) - 104 - 127 - $41
Rat 2 (Satin) - 86 - 118 - $37
Cutjack - 73 - 102 - $38
Ganzo FH11 - 77 - 113 - $26

To make a long story short, D2 has some good qualities but it isn't necessarily the best steel for a budget knife. Like any steel, a lot depends on what the maker does with it. I generally prefer stainless steel for EDC. I like 14C28N. I've recently had good experiences with 9Cr18Mov from Civivi and Acuto 440 from Tangram. I think Civivi and Tangram are great places to start if you're looking for a great budget knife.
Please stop recommending ganzos. Do a search and you will see the majority of people don't recommend and have a large hate that is warrented here. Please share them somewhere else if you must.

"Please help me I can’t decide which to pick and I won’t buy another knife after this one for a long time"

Tomoplll, I don't know what country you live in, but I gotta ask what are the knives on the shelves at your stores?
The Cutjack mini in D2 is hard to beat. and you can add some skaters tape to increase grip. And as others have said already saving some more before buying would be to your advantage for a long term purchase.

Online, at this price range, you could trade your flipper, and consider a liner lock Buck Vantage Pro Small (2.65") which comes in s30v, great steel and heat-treat in a good blade shape, with a great lifetime warranty. Yes, it's going to cost 10 bucks more than your limit at BladeHQ. They also have the Kershaw Cryo and Cryo 2 flippers in 8crMov and D2, both well inside your range. We have bought four of these and everyone really likes them. Kershawguy has a Kershaw knockout flipper second (aesthetic blem) for 55 bucks with DLC Sandvik 14c28N. but the blade shaped might not be ideal for whittling? We bought one of these, and it was scary sharp, with relatively thin blade thickness for really good slicing, but it has disappeared along with some socks:).

Get victorinox sak,and Opinel,or mercator cat55 knife.Ganzo is also not bad knife,and for price is good.

Please stop recommending ganzos. Do a search and you will see the majority of people don't recommend and have a large hate that is warrented here. Please share them somewhere else if you must.

Please stop with the hate. You aren't even making an argument here. I've made the case for certain Ganzo designs here and elsewhere based on my own personal use in addition to the experiences of reviewers I trust. I certainly recommend people do their own research. I recommend plenty of knives and my favorites in the budget arena continue to be from Civivi and Tangram. It's just that for some people, in some cases, an FH-series knife from Ganzo will be the best option. I will again share this video discussing Ganzo as a company and addressing points you've raised elsewhere:

Spyderco Delica, most kershaw's, or a Rat 2 would be my pick for a good "First" budget knife IMHO and D2 from what I have found is a bit of a bear to sharpen. Just sayin

Please stop with the hate. You aren't even making an argument here. I've made the case for certain Ganzo designs here and elsewhere based on my own personal use in addition to the experiences of reviewers I trust. I certainly recommend people do their own research. I recommend plenty of knives and my favorites in the budget arena continue to be from Civivi and Tangram. It's just that for some people, in some cases, an FH-series knife from Ganzo will be the best option. I will again share this video discussing Ganzo as a company and addressing points you've raised elsewhere:

https://knifenews.com/knife-gripes-episode-36-forgery/

Recently bought a G720 for under $20 . Not as strong as a Cold Steel , but a great bargain for a hard use folder .

I have watched this video a while back, don't really remember the points that Kevin made but since it hasn't changed my opinion then i will answer without wasting my time to watch it again:

First of all, i appreciate that you specifically say 'some models', hoping that you address the models that aren't knockoffs, and also the fact that you have tested these models thus you talk from experience. Still, nothing erases the fact that this brand takes/has taken advantage (let's be honest here: stolen is the correct way to put it) of other people's designs and hard work. It's one thing to base your work somewhere (be inspired) and then forge your own path and another thing to steal something (be it physical or intellectual property).

Put yourself in the position of the designer/company that has produced something interesting and original by investing energy, time and money. Now put yourself in the position of someone who steals an idea and makes money of it...if you are alright with it then you are more forgiving than i am...if you aren't then i believe you shouldn't support a company that practices that, even if the designs in question are their own. That's my view on the subject.

Recently bought a G720 for under $20 . Not as strong as a Cold Steel , but a great bargain for a hard use folder .

I'm sure Lionsteel & Spyderco are psyched with this take of their knife

I haven't seen this video before, love the self-sarcasm: "Unfortunately, that man..is Nick Shabazz"!

**How about this for an anti-ripoff ad:
It can drop-shut at the speed of sound, it's still stolen

Benchmade Axis Lock on a Lion Steel Molletta .

Where's the Spyderco ? The liners have round holes drilled , so maybe ... ;)

This is the LionKo version, it's obviously a sprint run :D

Last edited:
Back