SOG Flash 2: Pending Happyness

Okay, so my first SOG knife came in the mail earlier today; the Flash 2. I knew from online reviews to expect a little side to side wiggle in the blade -but that it was easily adjustable via the pivot screw -which it was. HOWEVER...

There is a lot of up and down play!!! What?! I was in complete disappointment with the knife; Up and down wiggle is unacceptable. I called the SOG warrantee number and was very polite. The representative assured me that the up/down wiggle would go away after about a week and that the problem would "buff" itself away... Well I hope so. It is counterintuitive to imagine that up and down play can be remedied by simply opening and closing the knife for a week, but that is what I was told, and so that is what I am going to do until the problem goes away or I have to send the knife in under the warrantee. I will keep you up to date on this after the week goes by. Really don’t want to send my knife through warrantee.

Have any of you experienced this with a SOG Flash 2? Does the wiggle really go away?

Last edited:
I got some advice from the general forums. They said their knives didnt have the problem. I think I will just send it in.

I bought my flash 2 about a year ago and I don't remember there being any vertical play but it is my primary EDC and it has no vertical play at all. Locks solid. It does have some side to side play but its never been an issue when I'm using the knife.

I have a couple flash II's after a lot of use 2 of the 3 have side to side and up and down play (not a lot but if you try it will wiggle). However none of them had any up and down play when i got them. I would send it in.

Well, I have waited a week just to see if what the customer service lady said was true (the customer service is very nice by the way) about the blade getting better. Nothing has changed. I am sending it in this week. So long as it comes back to me with no up/down blade play I will be a satisfied customer and my respect for SOG will be reaffirmed, however, if the blade comes back with up/down play it will probably be my last SOG (at least the folding variety).

I may not have been clear about the blade play, it is not wiggle, it is straight up janky-ness. I can actualy hear it rattle when I wave the knife around in the open position.

The blades edge however is the sharpest I have ever seen on a folding knife out of the box, so I respect them for that. That is a true sign of good knife maker -a damn sharp edge; I just hope they fix the pivot joint or whatever is causing the blade play.

Ill let you all know how well the fix goes,

Thanks

Update: Sog wont fix my knife. They (lindsay) say that a knife with up and down blade play should be so bad that the blade practicaly falls out. Well my knife was so bad that, if you were to wave it around, you could hear it clacking about (not the locking mechanism, which is loose too, but the blade).

I will never buy from sog again because they refuse to fix my knife. I know of plenty of people who have a sog flash 2 and it had no up and down play, but they will not replace mine or even fix it. I am pissed.

If you ever dicide to buy from sog, stick to their fixed blades. They cant f that up.

Last edited:
I am saddened and surprised to hear that SOG will not fix your defective knife. Business is tough now, and only those companies that honor their warranties will survive. The only SOG I ever had a problem with was the Fusion Jungle Primitive, but I can't honestly say it was defective. I will steer clear of their folders.

Me too. Just the fact that they will not fix or replace it pisses me off. They clearly state that they stand behind their knives -Its all a bunch of BS.

Okay, so my first SOG knife came in the mail earlier today; the Flash 2. I knew from online reviews to expect a little side to side wiggle in the blade -but that it was easily adjustable via the pivot screw -which it was. HOWEVER...

There is a lot of up and down play!!!:mad::barf: I was in complete disappointment with the knife; Up and down wiggle is unacceptable. I called the SOG warrantee number and was very polite. The representative assured me that the up/down wiggle would go away after about a week and that the problem would "buff" itself away... Well I hope so. It is counterintuitive to imagine that up and down play can be remedied by simply opening and closing the knife for a week, but that is what I was told, and so that is what I am going to do until the problem goes away or I have to send the knife in under the warrantee. I will keep you up to date on this after the week goes by. Really don’t want to send my knife through warrantee.

Have any of you experienced this with a SOG Flash 2? Does the wiggle really go away?

im probably gonna get crucified for posting this but i own quite a few sogs 2 of which are the flash 1 and 2. sadly they both do have pretty prominent blade play when i tried to tighten the screw it stripped soo bad to the point where it was unable to be fixed. so i bought an Emerson mini 7. i still love my SOG seal pup tho!

That's too bad about your SOG and the way they are treating you.

I have several SOG's and well several of many since I sell knives. I have to admit, the Flash 1 and II both have a lot of play and some will have jerky-ness with the a/o part.

So I know what you're talking about. However I do like their edges, they lock open and closed and the low profile pocket clip.

But I don't beleive the SOG flashes to have tight tolerances at all. The Tridents can also be different from knife to knife. And I'm talking about the way they open. Some will open faster than others and some will be slower.

Maybe that will be worked out over time, don't really know but just something I've noticed.

ha, I still carry my flash I everyday at work, it's small, light and handy when I need it.

Good luck, sorry they are being like that.

oh ps. I love my Seal Pup Elite!

I have a bunch ( at least 3 or each), blinks, twicthes, and flashes and of the 5 plastic handle flashes they all have some blade play new out of the box. I bought a used alumiun handle one from this forum and that is tight. I am OK with a bit of blade play on assisted opening knives, but it is sad to hear they have not responded to your complaint. This post is nearly a month old, so WHERE are the Sog Reps?????? Common guys stand up for what you make !!!!

I have a bunch ( at least 3 or each), blinks, twicthes, and flashes and of the 5 plastic handle flashes they all have some blade play new out of the box. I bought a used alumiun handle one from this forum and that is tight. I am OK with a bit of blade play on assisted opening knives, but it is sad to hear they have not responded to your complaint. This post is nearly a month old, so WHERE are the Sog Reps?????? Common guys stand up for what you make !!!!

Did you have side to side play -that I can deal with.

The reason I was unsatisfied was because of how much vertical bladeplay there was.

There are lots of AO's that lock up 100% out there in the knife world even at the same price. Including the Flash 2. I have seen Flash 2's that lock up verticaly 100%

two had front to back play, one a 2006 20 th year one was the worst. Not terrible but it was there. many Aos don't have blade play, true, but I am an old auto knife collector so I never pay much attention to how tight a blade is unless it is very loose...

I wish I came across this forum before buying my SOG, I would have went with my other choice.

that is my whole purpose for bringing this up. I wish someone had posted this stuff before I bought mine aswell, there are so many other companies that get it right -either with manufacturing or customer service.

Just because one person got a lemon doesn't mean everything the company puts out is shit.

I have several AO SOG's and while some of them have minor side to side play none of them have vertical play. I can only speak from my personal experience but the knives I have are great. I'm sorry to hear everyone is so disappointed.

After reading a lot of negative post last week about SOG in general, and the Flash II in particular, I decided to put a Flash II I've had for over a year into my EDC rotation this week. I haven't really carried it much because it feels kinda "clumsy" in my hand is the only way to describe it. Also, I don't like the lock release. Anyway, today I was just cutting up some cardboard and noticed it had developed vertical blade play. Just some freaking cardboard! I wanted to like SOG. I really did. I wanted an Aegis. But my knives are tools I use, and I can't trust this one anymore. I doubt there is any point in contacting SOG CS. Very disappointed.

Update: HAPPINESS LOST

Well my knife just got back from the warrantee department at SOG. It has been a long tiresome journey with the only reward being my knowledge of how awful the knife company known as SOG really is. After following bogus directions from Lindsay, sending in my knife, being insulted as if I don’t know what blade play is, trying to contact Chris via blade forums, having no response from Chris, and getting my knife back with a tag that said “blade play??” I have absolutely no respect for this company, who obviously breached their warrantee contract and sent back my knife as it came in.

It would be understandable for any of you reading this to question whether my knife had blade play since you cannot hold it or see it, but it is not understandable for Lindsay to do so. It is so obviously defective. I know that not all Flash 2 models have vertical blade play because I have seen them – therefore how can they say that my knife has nothing wrong with it? I still have the voice message that Lindsay sent me, the tag and report that came with my knife from the warrantee department, and of course my knife as proof of their horrible service. If I ever get a hold of a camera I will show you all exactly how bad things at SOG are.

I just emailed the online dealer that I ordered the knife from to see what they could do for me (store credit, refund, non-defective knife, etc). This is my last hope at fixing this problem, but the dealer really has nothing to do with this scenario –all faults pertain to SOG.

I will never deal with SOG again. If you are considering buying a SOG knife –please buy it on location where you can handle it to make sure it has no defects because you will be $#!t out of luck if it does. SOG’s warrantee means nothing, absolutely nothing.

Back