SOG TAC Auto

The SOG-TAC has always been AUS8. It was mistaken listed as 440 at one point but that was before production started. So all the knives that have been produced have a AUS8 blade.

Is the Mini SOG Tac Auto going to be offered with an uncoated blade? The official website only shows the coated version.

Yes, it will. We do not have any photos at this point of that knife but it will be available in the same versions as the larger one, including Tanto.

The SOG TAC is an attractive/irresistable product in a solid lineup of knives.

I have to visit your Oregon retailer for a personal touch.

oregon

I couldn't refuse to covet this knife in person any more than I could resist its attractiveness online so I visited the nearby Sportsmen's Warehouse.

Thank you and congratulations for producing the SOG TAC line.

Question: Can the height of the blade tip, when closed, be altered by the user? In other words, can the user sink the closed blade lower into the handle by some means?

Question: What is the inset light blue (color is a bit elusive depending on the light) shiny metal material visible around the inlaid G10s perimeter? Anodized aluminum perhaps?

A pic of the tip in the closed position:

P1090714.jpg

oregon

Awesome picture... a little sketchy on how close that blade is to coming out of the handle, though!

Still waiting to raise a little funds for one of these...

how close that blade is to coming out of the handle

I looked at three SOG TACs today, 2 TiNi and 1 plain. I bot one of the TiNi. The tip of the closed blade is not, presently, at risk for me to pierce/cut my finger during pull from the pocket-clipped position. The other TiNi had a proud tip when closed. The closed tip of the plain knife was well out of harm's way within the handle. Three different knives and three different resting points for the closed tip.

Perhaps the position of the resting blade tip is the result of individual construction and finishing so it is a permanent part of the knife. Or, maybe there is an adjustment that can be made after the knife has left the factory. I am just curious.

It is something I check, when possible (not possible online), when buying a folder.

oregon

oregon...

the knife should not be doing that. I'll talk to out warranty/engineering department about correcting that.

As for the blue it is a piece of anodized aluminum.

I just received my SOG Tac Auto and have only owned it for 2 days. First, the safety will not engage when blade is open. Second, the blade will not lock up. You can just put a little downward pressure on the blade and it will close. Obviously I have a faulty knife, but I was wondering if any of these problems have been occuring, or am I just that unlucky. Love the design and would love the knife if it wasn't faulty. Anyways, I will be sending the knife back under warranty and hopefully will get a replacement, once again I love the knife. Didn't even get to use it but once to cut a lime for my corona.:eek:

the safety will not engage when blade is open. Second, the blade will not lock up. You can just put a little downward pressure on the blade and it will close.

The slide lock only acts to lock the blade in the closed position. It doesn't lock the blade in the open position. Only the button/plunge locks the open blade.

You might try 100-200 firings of the knife to see if it will break in to the point where lockup, in the open position, takes place. It might just need a little use in order fully lock open.

oregon

I have been firing it since I have received trying to figure it out, but to no avail. I own several automatic knives, never had this problem, nor should a $100 knife need this. As far as the safety button, this came directly from SOG's website, please note where it says double locks in open/closed position "There is also: a safety button that double locks the blade in the open/closed position", go to SOG and check it out. I think I just caught a faulty knife. Thanks for your reply.
Dyno

As far as the safety button, this came directly from SOG's website, please note where it says double locks in open/closed position "There is also: a safety button that double locks the blade in the open/closed position", go to SOG and check it out.

Thank you kindly dyno. You are right about the slide lock. I didn't know that it would act as a redundant lock in the open position.

I have two of these, one TiNi and one shiny.

The shiny one seems to be perfect. The slide lock works closed and open.

The TiNi has squabbles. The slide lock only works closed. When the blade is open I cannot slide the lock all of the way forward, towards the blade. It only slides about half of the way into the lock position. I wonder if Sportsmen's Warehouse sells seconds? Hmmmmmm. I think I will take the TiNi back.

oregon

Maybe someone should contact SOG. I will be sending my knife back. If you have 2 and one does and one doesn't lock, seems that one is not right. SOG says their warranty is lifetime FOR workmanship, and imho that is certainly workmanship. I will post on how they handle my knife.
Thanks

Maybe someone should contact SOG.

SOG employees read this sub-forum. Perhaps there will be some feedback.

I took the advice that I gave you with my TiNi knife and worked it a bit more, firing and working the slide lock. Now the slide lock works in the open position. Apparently, the slide lock was a little stiff. I found that after firing the knife open if I press on the back of the blade, in the direction of closure, and then work the slide lock that the slide lock engages completely.

The slide lock is still sorta stiff operating. I'll keep at it.

Ambitious, don't you think, to have redundant blade locks for not only the closed knife but for the open position as well. I appreciate the knife more now that I have your input. My hat is off to you.

oregon

Back